FS: Whatmough Ondine speakers

Posted (edited)

Item: Whatmough Audio Ondine
Price: $3000 ONO
Item Condition: Good
Reason for selling: Need to fix my car :(
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash Only
Extra Info:

VERY reluctant sale. These are a very high-end speaker with very high-end sound. This pair has a bit of history behind them as they were apparently the prototype. There are quite a few bumps and marks and the speaker terminals have some 'wiggles' - a few cosmetic fixes and these will rival some of the best speakers around. Super heavy, a two person lift lift for sure. INSPECTION strongly encouraged as for this price you will not come remotely in the league of these bad boys.

BTW I will need replacement speakers...will spend about $500 on bookshelves...so if you are considering an upgrade I will consider part trade...

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

final.jpg

Edited by houdinifangs

Had a chance to listen this speaker at Op's place and sounds GREAT. Surprise to see you are selling the speaker. Best luck on sale.

Nice looking speakers. Good luck with the sale.

Being a prototype I’m assuming that drivers are near impossible to find? Are there any specs for these?....weight dimensions, driver size etc? They look great! 

Cheers. 

5 minutes ago, Carlton25 said:

Being a prototype I’m assuming that drivers are near impossible to find? Are there any specs for these?....weight dimensions, driver size etc? They look great! 

Cheers. 

I believe they are Dynaudio drivers and can be replaced - although these seem in very good condition to me. They are really, really heavy...as I mentioned before...there are some rough edges so inspection/audition is essential...but the sound...oh how they sound...top shelf...

@woogie59 here’s another chance although perhaps not quite as good as the other pair sold last year. 

1 hour ago, PKay said:

@woogie59 here’s another chance although perhaps not quite as good as the other pair sold last year. 

I’d say they are exactly as good ;) 

These are ‘the ones’ that sold last year...and I was VERY lucky...I’m selling them for what they are worth...unfortunately my luck with hifi has not transferred to my car :( 

Posted (edited)

P.S. Love Whatmoughs. Just sold a pair of 201 Monitors.

9 hours ago, houdinifangs said:

Extra Info:

VERY reluctant sale. These are a very high-end speaker with very high-end sound. This pair has a bit of history behind them as they were apparently the prototype. There are quite a few bumps and marks and the speaker terminals have some 'wiggles' - a few cosmetic fixes and these will rival some of the best speakers around. Super heavy, a two person lift lift for sure. INSPECTION strongly encouraged as for this price you will not come remotely in the league of these bad boys.

final.jpg

You are mad. Keep 'em. But a f###n push bike 😀

Edited by needlerunner

Love Whatmoughs by the way. Just sold a pair of 201 Monitors.

Not in the same league l know. But my 1st pair of decent speakers .

Guest Karl Rand
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, houdinifangs said:

Extra Info:

final.jpg

That's a shock. Collin Whatmought told me my pair were the prototypes ! I found they thrived on powerful solid state amps. The Dynaudio woofers should never be exposed to ultraviolet light as I stupidly did making the surrounds perish. However the woofer surrounds pictured here appear to be intact. Also check the integrity of positioning of the reflex tubes which on early models sometimes partially detatched from the speaker body. 

Edited by Karl Rand

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Karl Rand said:

That's a shock. Collin Whatmought told me my pair were the prototypes ! I found they thrived on powerful solid state amps. The Dynaudio woofers should never be exposed to ultraviolet light as I stupidly did making the surrounds perish. However the woofer surrounds pictured here appear to be intact. Also check the integrity of positioning of the reflex tubes which on early models sometimes partially detatched from the speaker body. 

I keep the grills on...they just look sexier with the grills off :) I’m using an 80’s SS Luxman at 100w seems to do the job....

Edited by houdinifangs

Guest Karl Rand
20 minutes ago, houdinifangs said:

I keep the grills on...they just look sexier with the grills off :) I’m using an 80’s SS Luxman at 100w seems to do the job....

Small world mate, these are what I ran my Whatmough’s with. Hell I miss Colin. One of the industries true gentlemen.

800671_orig.jpg

Would be tempted if I was in Melbourne and could see and hear them.

There can be more than one set of prototypes, before a design is finalised.

Geez they look nice.

May I see a photo of the rear.

BTW I will need replacement speakers...will spend about $500 on bookshelves...so if you are considering an upgrade I will consider part trade...