Sign in to follow this  
was_a

Ethernet cable offline audio transmission

I have an old ethernet cable that I originally bought for a two-computer setup where the 'control' PC was hooked up to the 'audio player' PC using their ethernet ports. 

I've forgotten what type of ethernet cable this is. (The cable is round, not flat, with good shielding. One plug is red and the other blue, for some reason.

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Many thanks

It could be a cross-over cable, which used to be common for host-to-host connections (as opposed to host-to-switch). These days most Ethernets ports are auto-polarity, so cross-over cables are rarely required.

If the plugs are see-through you can tell by holding them side by side, clip down and facing the same way, and compare the colours of the leads. If they are in identical order then the cable is straight through, otherwise likely cross-over.

Thanks a lot Steffen. Yes, it's a crossover cable, yet still works between Netgear modem and computer. For some reason there's an audible improvement in sound quality over my previous ethernet cable, a flat Cat6.