Choices for more dynamic front speakers?

Hey all,

I'm looking at a new set of more 'efficient & dynamic' fronts and was hoping to get some advice :)

Speakers like the PSA MTM-210 or MK Sound s150 coming to mind, but my budget doesn't really extend that far if I'm looking at the new price (second hand might be different although they seem pretty rare). Are there any other brands that I should be looking at? Are there any Aussie brands doing something similar?

Side note: I absolutely LOVED the sound of the Legend Kama's at the hifi show, but am not sure they would be a good choice as I like to listen to movies quite loud?

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Mike

2 hours ago, nedrum said:

Speakers like the PSA MTM-210 or MK Sound s150 coming to mind, but my budget doesn't really extend that far if I'm looking at the new price (second hand might be different although they seem pretty rare). Are there any other brands that I should be looking at? Are there any Aussie brands doing something similar?

How about just the PSA-MTM-110 for a bit less money?

And don't forget to ask for the best price.

As far as aussie products for around the same price I only know of this: https://www.krix.com.au/in-room-sx/

Quite often they are priced per speaker rather than a pair.

You won't need a stand with this one.

2 hours ago, nedrum said:

Side note: I absolutely LOVED the sound of the Legend Kama's at the hifi show, but am not sure they would be a good choice as I like to listen to movies quite loud?

Yes I thought they were great too but would be concerned with their ability to output at reference level or above if that's your thing.

Edited by Satanica

Guest Music monster

Klipsch. there efficient and very dynamic. Make sure you have a listen before you buy something else. Gary the music monster ?

3 hours ago, WasM said:

Krix, Klipsch, JBL, SLS Audio.

What is the budget?

Are you after LCR or just stereo?

Behind AT projector screen?

WAF?

Existing room and gear?

I've always found Krix a bit dry sounding (I might be in the minority here!).

Had a listen to the Klipsch a few months ago and really liked them. I'll have to test the RP-600's (booksleves) ability to play loud as the the floorstanders are a little too 'visually dominating' for my taste (maybe I just need to get over that lol)

Haven't considered JBL or SVS so will have a look thanks :)

Stereo at the moment given I have the Osborn centre, below a TV, and no wife in sight ?

Will be mated to a Marantz SR6012, which I think goes well with the Klipsch speakers?

2 hours ago, Satanica said:

How about just the PSA-MTM-110 for a bit less money?

And don't forget to ask for the best price.

Hmmm....good point...I might email DeepHz and ask what they can do on either model (looks like the 210 is sold out?)

Guest Music monster

No speaker beats the little klipsch heresy lll for its small size,but very big sound and dynamic and tight punchy bass. It’s simply the biggest sounding loudest most dynamic small speaker in the world. Gary the music monster ?

8 minutes ago, Music monster said:

No speaker beats the little klipsch heresy lll for its small size,but very big sound and dynamic and tight punchy bass. It’s simply the biggest sounding loudest most dynamic small speaker in the world. Gary the music monster ?

Then it should be on this list ?

Guest Music monster
1 hour ago, nedrum said:

Had no idea they made horns! Will have a look and get in touch...thanks for the call out :)

Some of the most expensive and best speakers in the world use horns. Gary the music monster ?

If you are in Melbourne, buy these:

If you want to spend a bit more, I had a listen to the Spatial M4s at McLeans the other day. They'll sell their demos for $2900. 

Not my cup of tea, but may well be yours.

Edited by sfdoddsy

Guest Music monster
9 minutes ago, sfdoddsy said:

If you are in Melbourne, buy these:

If you want to spend a bit more, I had a listen to the Spatial M4s at McLeans the other day. They'll sell their demos for $2900. 

Not my cup of tea, but may well be yours.

Good speakers I have herd these. Gary the music monster ?

You haven't actually mentioned your budget.

Were I looking for speakers that aren't as unusual looking as the JBL Studios, but have similar sound at a similar price I'd investigate pro studio monitors.

JBL make some very cheap and very good ones (LSR305/8 series, 705/8 series) but there are a plethora of very accurate, very dynamic active monitors most audiophiles don't consider.

Kali LP8 are cheaper high-end JBLs (same designer).

Neumann  make monitors with a flatter response than some amps.

Genelec are the go-to speaker for most studios for a reason.

Brands such as Focal and Dynaudio make active pro monitors which sound better than their 'audiophile' cousins but are much cheaper because they don't have the fancy cabinet finishes and because sound engineers aren't as gullible.

Edited by sfdoddsy

I've been reluctant to mention budget as I'd be happy to spend a bit more if the product is worth it, but if I had to put a number to it I'd say around $3k. However, that would be for something I'd be looking to keep for a long long time (thinking Red Spade HE2, which should come in under that for at least the DIY kit)

I might see if I can go listen to some active professional speakers in Melbourne...thanks for the advice!

Guest Music monster
1 hour ago, nedrum said:

I've been reluctant to mention budget as I'd be happy to spend a bit more if the product is worth it, but if I had to put a number to it I'd say around $3k. However, that would be for something I'd be looking to keep for a long long time (thinking Red Spade HE2, which should come in under that for at least the DIY kit)

I might see if I can go listen to some active professional speakers in Melbourne...thanks for the advice!

At that price point I recommend second hand as your likely to get a better speaker for $3000 second hand than a new speaker at that price. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster
17 minutes ago, nedrum said:

Any recommendations for 2nd hand pro audio gear, besides FB marketplace and gumtree? I don't venture too far past Stereonet otherwise ?

Speakers come up for sale often right here on stereonet and often at bargain prices. keep an eye on classifieds.other choice is eBay or gumtree,plenty of bargains there to be had . Gary the music monster ?

On 13/08/2019 at 6:49 PM, Irek said:

If you have Osborn already than Eos might be for you. Big sound in small size. 

Certainly a consideration. I've been eyeing the Eos, Interlude or Eclipse for a while now and will have a more extended listen at the upcoming audio show. The only thing is that I KNOW my current amplification isn't up the task...just an excuse to add some high quality power amps into my current setup ?