Spotting a fake review

8 hours ago, rocky500 said:

4/5. My boyfriend and I got me.

Exactly the same for me.

Interesting article, will show it to my teenage daughters. I have been explaining to them about the need for scepticism when researching online, and always think about another person's experience before accepting opinions. This gives me some backup!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markm1111 said:

Exactly the same for me.

Interesting article, will show it to my teenage daughters. I have been explaining to them about the need for scepticism when researching online, and always think about another person's experience before accepting opinions. This gives me some backup!

Same for me as well.

Aced it.

Must say that my wife likes reading the reviews (and leaving some as well) but I could think of nothing less useful than someone elses opinion...

Edited by acg

14 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

OK, can we spot a fake audio review?

Cynical response - by reading one

Reality - our prejudices stop us from seeing the fakeness unless we really want to. The obverse applies too - we refuse to see what does not confirm our biases.

All because we are humans adapted to survival by sticking to what we know ...

33 minutes ago, Peta said:

Further cynical response:

What is the difference between a used car salesman and an audio salesman?The used car salesman knows he is lyi

Ummmm ... a used car salesman knows when he's lying!  :)  (Note the gender bias, Peta - I've never ever met a hifi saleswoman.)

Andy

Edited by andyr

Chances are that the results people obtain in this very non-robust test (5 observations, carefully chosen in one specific area - hotels, and in my opinion all actually written by the author due to an innocuous quirk in grammar style, a bit like a fingerprint) are skewed towards those with prior knowledge of hotel accommodation.

Basic Bayesian statistics - should you have experience with something (hotel accommodation), chances are that you are is a superior position to spot whether a review on that something is fake or genuine.

The psychologist dude, Dr Camilleri,  forgot to mention that rather salient fact.  Not a good look for someone who teaches business statistics (amongst other things).

Edit - and don't get me started on his predilection for univariate analysis and data mining (finding patterns) in general.  Its always a cause for grief.  Always.  I wonder if political pollsters will learn from the last federal election?

Edited by Lloyd

52 minutes ago, Music & HT lover said:

4/5

No matter whether it is online or real persons comments, I always trust those from creditable persons. 

True, but in the audio world, how does one establish a 'credible person?'

3 hours ago, proftournesol said:

True, but in the audio world, how does one establish a 'credible person?'

See whether the person is a long time member with sound comments before. Whether there is any connection to industry or conflict of interests. Just using common sense when listening to any recommendation from any topics.