JA Mitchell Hydraulic Reference Turntable

Hi Guys,

I have inherited my fathers above turntable with the SME arm.  I would like to sell it. It is the one with the gold vinyl rests in a clear case. Anyone give me a price?

Thanks for your help.

Paul

Welcome Paul,

a picture or two would help. 

Also the model of SME arm, if a cartridge is included what make & model and how many hours use on the cartridge (if you know). 

Did your Dad own it from new?

Do you know if it has been serviced?

Does it look like this?

F95DD6B0-DA76-492E-B342-1174906FAFCD.jpeg

• Love 1

Guest Music monster
1 minute ago, frankn said:

Welcome Paul,

Also the model of SME arm, if a cartridge is included what make & model and how many hours use on the cartridge (if you know). 

Does it look like this?

Now that’s a stunning turntable. Surberb condition as well. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster
27 minutes ago, PaulDillon said:

Hi, this is all I have. I now it works.It was purchased brand new when I was at 10 years old. It was his pride and joy, I am turning 50 this year. 

3C19561B-65CE-452F-8FD2-5A45A0ED12C6.jpeg

E66DA424-3932-4C8D-A1C6-9E1E27ADB43A.jpeg

6A4F2D6A-36F3-4804-9FA7-073D54700315.jpeg

6D4AA9AF-DFAB-437E-A7E7-ACF808E91D7D.jpeg

7A239324-E9CE-4B3D-A8A4-91CDDE11DB63.jpeg

19EB30E9-FDD3-4EEE-9F26-9285D1790490.jpeg

93078F8F-0A1F-43C5-B8E1-343C3A7796DD.jpeg

I have seeing this tt in a movie the clock work orange from the  70s,or at least it looked the same. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster
24 minutes ago, PaulDillon said:

You would be correct Gary. Considering I was born in 69. An amazing piece of machinery by JA.

Fort so. In this movie the guy is a music lover.its amazing alright, looks like something from the future. Gary the music monster ?

55 minutes ago, Music monster said:

Fort so. In this movie the guy is a music lover.its amazing alright, looks like something from the future. Gary the music monster ?

Here's Alex with his turntable. I remember he had a micro cassette too.

Beautiful turntable. ?

images - 2019-08-12T232116.319.jpeg

Edited by mrbuzzardstubble
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, frankn said:

Welcome Paul,

Does it look like this?

OMG that is spectacular!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Guest Music monster
30 minutes ago, PaulDillon said:

Anyone interested in making an offer?

Sorry I would its a stunning tt but I don't play vinyl any more. Best to put for sale at stereonet classifieds. Gary the music monster.

Guest Karl Rand

I owned one of these running it with a Transcriptor arm. I found thin LP’s often sounded very strange so took to leaving a thicker LP permenantly atop those strange gold things and played whatever LP I wanted to listen to on top of that - - worked wonders. I always thought Transcriptors were slightly more interested in appearances than physics but it sure as hell impressed other audiophiles.

The transcriptor arm I used had an absudley thin headsell.

So thin I don’t think you could call it a head shell and the unipivot wobbled in the breeze.  .  The SME arm being offered with this TT is far, far superior.

1_cdd30809d982dbecec7fb04cfd4d9ddc.jpg

Edited by Karl Rand

Guest Music monster
55 minutes ago, PaulDillon said:

Hi mate, yes listed. Alot of people interested. Sold pending pickup by Friday.

Well done.its a absolute classic. Gary the music monster ?

A friend of mine at Sussex uni grafted all summer as a shuttering chippy and bought one of these the week that Floyds DSOTM came out.Everyone was impressed by it's looks and sound.  I had some very good home grown, it was a full moon shining through the window and a group of us 'lifted off'.  Both the deck and the vinyl if in NM condition will set you back an awful lot of money now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Music monster

This Mitchell hydraulic reference tt was way ahead of its time in the 70s and looked and sounded better than any tt made back than, and will still give many quite expensive tt made today a good run for there money. Gary the music monster ?