TOOL - Fear Inoculum (30 Aug 2019 release)

7 minutes ago, aasza said:

ROFL ? 

"Taylor Swift Fans Are Freaking Out About This New Band Called “Tool”

A few days ago, to the surprise of absolutely no one, Taylor Swift’s new album Lover landed at #1 on the Billboard album charts. It was Swift’s sixth #1 record, recording the biggest sales week of any album since her last album reputation was released back in 2017.

It was generally expected that she’d hold onto the #1 position for at least another week or two, but now she’s fighting a battle with an enemy most of her fans have never even heard of: Tool.

Tool’s Fear Inoculum is currently raking in big, big numbers in its first week, and it’s predicted to land album sales of up to 300,000 in the US (according to Forbes) which would put it comfortably in the #1 position ahead of Lover, which is expecting sales of 260,000 in its second week. Fear Inoculum is already ahead of Lover on the iTunes album charts in Australia and the US,

Sorry teeny boppers but swift ain't got s**t on TOOL 

Now we know why it will be a few years before their next one. This will top up their pension fund nicely.

Perhaps they should do a duet album of each other's album. That would rake in billions.

Kill me now.

Yup, the 96/24 from a node 2i destroys the Cd From a 205 (both through the M Scaler).  Cd is staying in its case. 

’I’ll download the free Mp3’s From the limited edition and see how that goes. 

Edited by Sime

On 04/09/2019 at 11:37 AM, Gambit 1870 said:

Although production is right up there on how an album presents and poor production can make an album listless (Master of puppets springs to mind, to me it's a very thin album) it's how the songs resonate with the individual. I for one like the little interludes in Aenima with maybe the exception of ions and while I still listen to Master I can't help but wonder how much better it would have beeen if it was better produced

I get where you are coming from with Master of Puppets. My take on it is it was mixed at near live playback levels. The louder you play this album, the better it gets.

At 80dB it is very thin. At 105dB+ you have yourself a thrash metal masterpiece.

As I get older the inclination and opportunity to blast it at the required volume becomes much more limited.

As for Tool...I will be waiting for the standard issue CD without all the packaging fruit.

3 minutes ago, Andrews_melb said:

@Sime slightly off topic but how do you know the albums in 24/96? Or are you playing into an external dac which tells you?

The 24/96 is the HDTRacks version. and yes, my M Scaler/Dac is reporting 96

Actually, scratch my opinion of the Cd, I’m listening to the MP3 and through the node and that’s better than the cd also, so it must be as I said earlier, I don’t like the 205 as a transport on my system, never had to be honest. 

I can definitely hear the mp3 struggle in the louder parts, but the 205 always makes me feel tense while listening to it. 

Went back to the node after the 205 and I could just relax more and enjoy. Weird.  

Edited by Sime

22 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Finding now on Spotify too, when the album finishes, it just keeps kicking into the back catalogue. So good.

Yep, it’s also flowing in to Primus, Rage Against, Soundgarden etc.  Just an awesome mix.

5 hours ago, awayward said:

Mine too, so tempted to not open it as I have a download, but alas, didn’t happen, I had to see what was inside.

And you think...

Was it worth it?

Thinking of keeping mine sealed and on sell. Dont know, just an idea.

Not interested in the wanky vid gimmicky. As l said sucked in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

wanky vid gimmicky

Hi Rez screens so small they can be pack into a CD packaging. Are we becoming that jaded. 

Tool or not, it’s great tech. 

2 minutes ago, Sime said:

Hi Rez screens so small they can be pack into a CD packaging. Are we becoming that jaded. 

Tool or not, it’s great tech. 

You right...But yer more about the music for me. Then again... they do great self awareness advertising.

On 30/08/2019 at 1:12 PM, aasza said:

The other 3 tracks are quite short in length ~ 2- 3mins each

Litanie contre la Peur

Legion Inoculant

Mockingbeat

I thought the album connected better without these tracks anyway...

5 hours ago, Pieface said:

I get where you are coming from with Master of Puppets. My take on it is it was mixed at near live playback levels. The louder you play this album, the better it gets.

At 80dB it is very thin. At 105dB+ you have yourself a thrash metal masterpiece.

As I get older the inclination and opportunity to blast it at the required volume becomes much more limited.

As for Tool...I will be waiting for the standard issue CD without all the packaging fruit.

That's typical because the human ear is less sensitive to bass at lower levels. I've used digital Loudness based on Fletcher Munsen Curve for years to compensate. 

https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/fletcher-munson-curve/

Well I’ve given it a few listens and l think it’s outstanding imho. So much to hear and even though the songs are long there is so much going on. Andy Jones has really developed and the signature tribal drumming of Carey is superb. I think the recording is sublime. Yes, there are a couple of “weird fillers” there but thats what one expects from Tool. They could have done much more with the CD packaging and l will never get my head around how it can take an artist 13 years to release an album. Anyway back to 7empest.

On 31/08/2019 at 10:00 AM, likwidsh0k said:

Think there is a brilliant album buried under all the Tool-by-numbers/Toolisms.

On 31/08/2019 at 9:55 PM, zippi said:

I reckon Tool have overproduced or over-thought this whole affair to the point that it feels very distant, in many places almost formulaic without any immediacy of Aenima (an album that has lots in common with this one). It's a pity and a shame as I really dig and am on the more-less same page with lots of lyrical content (as far as I can gather) and can really feel what their shooting for, however they only ever seldom really get there.  The over-polished songs mostly boil down to being boring as they meander somewhat aimlessly and unfortunately formulaic-ly. I thought the opener was very promising, however for me it's a too average an album. It centres on a very dystopian present and even more effed up future, which I think is a great starting point but it could have been done much better overall - actually with less thinking/tinkering/preciousness and more feeling/guts/honesty, eg. releasing the material 2-5 years ago. For me standouts are Mockingbeat,  Chocolate Chip Trip,  Invincible and the title track.

Given it about a dozen spins now and though it is awesome, every song on this album except for Culling Voices I feel over stays its welcome, you can almost hear the moment a song loses it theme 5:50 in the title track or when it should end like 12:44 in Tempest.

Word is the production is technically brilliant, but I think they needed a producer with some balls to rein them in and strip away some of the Tool-by-numbers and would have been a truly epic album.

On further listens Invincible and Tempest are now my 2 favourite tracks, though as said before Invincible does get a bit monontous though I do understand is relevant to the subject matter, jut feel that every previous album I would not change a thing where this I feel I could.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, likwidsh0k said:
On 31/08/2019 at 11:30 AM, likwidsh0k said:

Think there is a brilliant album buried under all the Tool-by-numbers/Toolisms.

On 31/08/2019 at 11:25 PM, zippi said:

I reckon Tool have overproduced or over-thought this whole affair to the point that it feels very distant, in many places almost formulaic without any immediacy of Aenima (an album that has lots in common with this one). It's a pity and a shame as I really dig and am on the more-less same page with lots of lyrical content (as far as I can gather) and can really feel what their shooting for, however they only ever seldom really get there.  The over-polished songs mostly boil down to being boring as they meander somewhat aimlessly and unfortunately formulaic-ly. I thought the opener was very promising, however for me it's a too average an album. It centres on a very dystopian present and even more effed up future, which I think is a great starting point but it could have been done much better overall - actually with less thinking/tinkering/preciousness and more feeling/guts/honesty, eg. releasing the material 2-5 years ago. For me standouts are Mockingbeat,  Chocolate Chip Trip,  Invincible and the title track.

Given it about a dozen spins now and though it is awesome, every song on this album except for Culling Voices I feel over stays its welcome, you can almost hear the moment a song loses it theme 5:50 in the title track or when it should end like 12:44 in Tempest.

Word is the production is technically brilliant, but I think they needed a producer with some balls to rein them in and strip away some of the Tool-by-numbers and would have been a truly epic album.

On further listens Invincible and Tempest are now my 2 favourite tracks, though as said before Invincible does get a bit monontous though I do understand is relevant to the subject matter, jut feel that every previous album I would not change a thing where this I feel I could.

3 hours ago, likwidsh0k said:

every song on this album except for Culling Voices I feel over stays its welcome

agree fully @likwidsh0k

One thing I would add to my rant of 31/8 is that Pneuma is actually a better song than  Fear Inoculum and Invincible (and if only it wrapped up at a 6-7 minute mark). Also Tempest is a better track than either FI and I (albeit also too long for what it is).