mexicoke68

Listening Bars in Australia

I know this is a thing in Japan, HK, Vietnam, etc, but are there any bars in Australia which have high-end or decent systems playing for the enjoyment of patrons while having a drink?

I'm in Melbourne, so any specific recommendations would be much appreciated!

Evil Springs in Glen Waverley, that's the place to be, fine wine, undemanding host, excellent system, music on request...

@evil c

🥂

8 minutes ago, Luc said:

Evil Springs in Glen Waverley, that's the place to be, fine wine, undemanding host, excellent system, music on request...

@evil c

🥂

Nah, entrance fee has skyrocketed ,(Bin 389), and word is the host is a drunken Lech ! 🍻 🤔

Besides Syndal is like outer suburbs!

Interesting concept though, should get some HiFi shops to open after hours with a makeshift bar. 

12 minutes ago, evil c said:

should get some HiFi shops to open after hours with a makeshift bar. 

Then it'd be full of people like us and that's not necessary a good thing...😝

Posted (edited)

I really wanted to open a whisky bar like this myself. Alas I don't actually want to run a business, I just want a whisky bar that serves great whisky and plays great music on great hifi... I guess I do drinks at my place as it is.

Edited by Ittaku

I have images of drunken audiophiles wanting to fiddle with a high-end turntable/cart they are drooling over.  It may not end well!

On a similar path, I've often wondered why music shops don't have higher-end systems playing music in the shop - if the music they play sounds wonderful, it is more likely to generate a sale.  I've only found one record shop like this - it was in Collingwood, I think they had McIntosh amps driving some eletrostatic speakers.  It was very nice browsing that day!

One barrier to this concept is that copyright fees would need to be paid for any music played, as it would be considered to be something like a public broadcasting (can't recall the exact terminology).  To draw a parallel, a copyright fee is supposed to be paid if you have a radio playing quietly in a business waiting room. 

What's the point of setting up an excellent audio system and then having to sit off-centred while listening to it, which is what will inevitably happen in a bar, right?

5 minutes ago, jeromelang said:

What's the point of setting up an excellent audio system and then having to sit off-centred while listening to it, which is what will inevitably happen in a bar, right?

Jerome, maybe beer or wine or even spirits may make the LP/CD/SACD's sound better than water?

Especially once you have drank a few...

:D

:p

10 hours ago, audiofeline said:

I have images of drunken audiophiles wanting to fiddle with a high-end turntable/cart they are drooling over.  It may not end well!

On a similar path, I've often wondered why music shops don't have higher-end systems playing music in the shop - if the music they play sounds wonderful, it is more likely to generate a sale.  I've only found one record shop like this - it was in Collingwood, I think they had McIntosh amps driving some eletrostatic speakers.  It was very nice browsing that day!

One barrier to this concept is that copyright fees would need to be paid for any music played, as it would be considered to be something like a public broadcasting (can't recall the exact terminology).  To draw a parallel, a copyright fee is supposed to be paid if you have a radio playing quietly in a business waiting room. 

Music shop in Queen St mall of Brisbane has some fantastic Duntechs and older KEFs playing constantly 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Together with this, let us all not forget the SNAFU that are the Victorian liquor licencing provisions for the concept on topic.

Edited by Lloyd

Just an off shoot comment made here regarding music shops using good equipment to listen to records and CDs ..I frequent JB hi-fi and I am always amazed at utter crap they play in there shops just a repetitive dirge which usually drives me out of the shop before I get a chance to select a CD or record to purchase and not to mention some of unusual characters who work there. It's a strange strange world we live in master Jack🎶😁🎵

8 hours ago, jeromelang said:

Lovely music well reproduced from a good hi-fi can sound good everywhere so even if you're not in the sweet spot to get the optimum stereo image and soundstage depth, you can get great  tonality and musicality. The challenge of setting up music for people everywhere instead of just the sweet spot would also be fun in itself.

14 hours ago, darthlaker said:

Jerome, maybe beer or wine or even spirits may make the LP/CD/SACD's sound better than water?

Especially once you have drank a few...

:D

😛

I might try some beer on vinyl records some day. Champagne too? Possibly. Any chilled bubbly drink is worth trying.

However, drinking alcohol dull your physical senses. Not good idea for critical listening. 

5 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Lovely music well reproduced from a good hi-fi can sound good everywhere so even if you're not in the sweet spot to get the optimum stereo image and soundstage depth, you can get great  tonality and musicality. The challenge of setting up music for people everywhere instead of just the sweet spot would also be fun in itself.

You can't get away from physics.

High frequencies tend to beam.

22 minutes ago, jeromelang said:

You can't get away from physics.

High frequencies tend to beam.

MBL Radialstrahlers don't... but yeah that might be a bit expensive for this... Though there are other speakers with multiple tweeters etc.