Jump to content

mexicoke68

Listening Bars in Australia

Recommended Posts

I know this is a thing in Japan, HK, Vietnam, etc, but are there any bars in Australia which have high-end or decent systems playing for the enjoyment of patrons while having a drink?

I'm in Melbourne, so any specific recommendations would be much appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evil Springs in Glen Waverley, that's the place to be, fine wine, undemanding host, excellent system, music on request...

@evil c

 

🥂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Luc said:

Evil Springs in Glen Waverley, that's the place to be, fine wine, undemanding host, excellent system, music on request...

@evil c

 

🥂

Nah, entrance fee has skyrocketed ,(Bin 389), and word is the host is a drunken Lech ! 🍻 🤔

Besides Syndal is like outer suburbs!

 

Interesting concept though, should get some HiFi shops to open after hours with a makeshift bar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, evil c said:

should get some HiFi shops to open after hours with a makeshift bar. 

Then it'd be full of people like us and that's not necessary a good thing...😝

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Posted (edited)

I really wanted to open a whisky bar like this myself. Alas I don't actually want to run a business, I just want a whisky bar that serves great whisky and plays great music on great hifi... I guess I do drinks at my place as it is.

Edited by Ittaku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have images of drunken audiophiles wanting to fiddle with a high-end turntable/cart they are drooling over.  It may not end well!

 

On a similar path, I've often wondered why music shops don't have higher-end systems playing music in the shop - if the music they play sounds wonderful, it is more likely to generate a sale.  I've only found one record shop like this - it was in Collingwood, I think they had McIntosh amps driving some eletrostatic speakers.  It was very nice browsing that day!

 

One barrier to this concept is that copyright fees would need to be paid for any music played, as it would be considered to be something like a public broadcasting (can't recall the exact terminology).  To draw a parallel, a copyright fee is supposed to be paid if you have a radio playing quietly in a business waiting room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the point of setting up an excellent audio system and then having to sit off-centred while listening to it, which is what will inevitably happen in a bar, right?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jeromelang said:

What's the point of setting up an excellent audio system and then having to sit off-centred while listening to it, which is what will inevitably happen in a bar, right?

 

 

Jerome, maybe beer or wine or even spirits may make the LP/CD/SACD's sound better than water?

 

Especially once you have drank a few...

 

:D

:p

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


10 hours ago, audiofeline said:

I have images of drunken audiophiles wanting to fiddle with a high-end turntable/cart they are drooling over.  It may not end well!

 

On a similar path, I've often wondered why music shops don't have higher-end systems playing music in the shop - if the music they play sounds wonderful, it is more likely to generate a sale.  I've only found one record shop like this - it was in Collingwood, I think they had McIntosh amps driving some eletrostatic speakers.  It was very nice browsing that day!

 

One barrier to this concept is that copyright fees would need to be paid for any music played, as it would be considered to be something like a public broadcasting (can't recall the exact terminology).  To draw a parallel, a copyright fee is supposed to be paid if you have a radio playing quietly in a business waiting room. 

Music shop in Queen St mall of Brisbane has some fantastic Duntechs and older KEFs playing constantly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, audiofeline said:

 

 

One barrier to this concept is that copyright fees would need to be paid for any music played, as it would be considered to be something like a public broadcasting (can't recall the exact terminology).  To draw a parallel, a copyright fee is supposed to be paid if you have a radio playing quietly in a business waiting room. 

 

Together with this, let us all not forget the SNAFU that are the Victorian liquor licencing provisions for the concept on topic.

 

Edited by Lloyd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an off shoot comment made here regarding music shops using good equipment to listen to records and CDs ..I frequent JB hi-fi and I am always amazed at utter crap they play in there shops just a repetitive dirge which usually drives me out of the shop before I get a chance to select a CD or record to purchase and not to mention some of unusual characters who work there. It's a strange strange world we live in master Jack🎶😁🎵

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jeromelang said:

What's the point of setting up an excellent audio system and then having to sit off-centred while listening to it, which is what will inevitably happen in a bar, right?

Lovely music well reproduced from a good hi-fi can sound good everywhere so even if you're not in the sweet spot to get the optimum stereo image and soundstage depth, you can get great  tonality and musicality. The challenge of setting up music for people everywhere instead of just the sweet spot would also be fun in itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


14 hours ago, darthlaker said:

Jerome, maybe beer or wine or even spirits may make the LP/CD/SACD's sound better than water?

 

Especially once you have drank a few...

 

:D

😛

 

I might try some beer on vinyl records some day. Champagne too? Possibly. Any chilled bubbly drink is worth trying.

 

However, drinking alcohol dull your physical senses. Not good idea for critical listening. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Lovely music well reproduced from a good hi-fi can sound good everywhere so even if you're not in the sweet spot to get the optimum stereo image and soundstage depth, you can get great  tonality and musicality. The challenge of setting up music for people everywhere instead of just the sweet spot would also be fun in itself.

You can't get away from physics.

High frequencies tend to beam.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jeromelang said:

You can't get away from physics.

High frequencies tend to beam.

 

MBL Radialstrahlers don't... but yeah that might be a bit expensive for this... Though there are other speakers with multiple tweeters etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...