Updated system: Scuzzii (almost completed)

Folks,

Thought I would update you all on system development and what is now in my setup.  I've had a few months off recovering from surgery and had a lot of time on my hands, so the focus has been on music and system. Both purchasing new vinyl and playing it, plus purchasing some new components, adding in isolation and replacing some cables, carts.

Most of the advice and equipment has come from Keith at Wyndham Audio  @cheekyboy with assistance from Harry at SGR

What is in the system now is as follows:

Soulines Kubrick with Brinkmann 10.5 tonearm and Acoustical Systems Archon cart (with PSC Custom Tonearm cable)

TransRotor Dark Star with stock Jelco (to be upgraded soon) and Shelter Harmony cart on a Acoustical Systems Archon headshell (with Furutech AG-16 tonearm cable coming from @Krispy Audio)

Brinkmann Edison Phono Stage

Luxman D05 SACD player

Luxman 590AX Amplifier

Wyndham Audio CH2s (with Travertine slabs as isolation)

Blusound Node 2 streamer (into the SACD DAC)

Cardas Clear Reflection XLR cable between Phono and Amp from @rossb

So the major changes have been the addition off the TR turntable, the Acoustical Systems Archon Cart, Acoustical Systems Arche headshell, Wyndham Audio isolation platforms for the TT's and Phono Stage (with assistance from @Dave O))) with isolation cubes).

Cant thank @cheekyboy Keith enough. A lot of time discussing and planning the upgrades over the past 4 months to get the additional Transrotor Dark Star TT, the isolation platforms (the white beech hardwood looks absolutely beautiful), The headshells and Archon Cart.  Also @Doppelganger Greg for setting up the carts last night (my hangover is still with me).

The biggest surprise has been the positive effects of putting the isolation in - dramatic.

**EDIT - for those who have enquired about the wooden isolation platforms, pls see link

https://www.wyndhamaudio.com.au/products/natural-timber-audio-component-isolation-platforms

Now onto the pics..  (there are pics prior to the cart swaps last night - but I've included them to show off the beautiful hardwood isolation platforms)

P1040025.JPG

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

20190731_170427.jpg

20190810_172023.jpg

20190810_172006.jpg

P1040030.JPG

P1040029.JPG

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

P1040033.JPG

P1040027.JPG

P1040026.JPG

P1040032.JPG

Edited by scuzzii
  • Like 26

I  was given an early peek at this system a little while back, red wine was in evidence and tasty music as well. Can only acknowledge Scuzzi's dedication to what we all aspire too. @cheekyboy 's big white marvels just dominate and the rest of the system(structurally) just synch's in with them doesn't it.

*Excellent photos.

**If the artist formerly known as Hensa was involved , then it's no wonder you felt a bit groggy the next morning.

***As  I told you: Marvellous system mate?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luc said:

I  was given an early peek at this system a little while back, red wine was in evidence and tasty music as well. Can only acknowledge Scuzzi's dedication to what we all aspire too. @cheekyboy 's big white marvels just dominate and the rest of the system(structurally) just synch's in with them doesn't it.

*Excellent photos.

**If the artist formerly known as Hensa was involved , then it's no wonder you felt a bit groggy the next morning.

***As  I told you: Marvellous system mate?

Cheers Lee,  we had a great night last night. Very wobbly today...…..   just practicing for St Kilda mate when we catch up!!

7 minutes ago, Doppelganger said:

@Luc, couldn't agree more about that Hensa bloke!:thumb:

Blokes an absolute danger isn't he. Glad your aware of his bad influence and effect he has on people's liver.

BTW, I need some help (a lot actually) in mounting a wood body Duc cart to my LP12...Mark& the Scuzz said you'd be the man. I've never done it before. When you get some leisure between drinks gimme a hoi!

• Like 1

Guest Misterioso

Beautiful system! I bet it sounds amazing.

2 hours ago, scuzzii said:

The biggest surprise has been the positive effects of putting the isolation in - dramatic.

Can you tell us more about these isolation platforms? Can't see them on the Wyndham Audio webpage. What kind of feet are they using? 

Hi mate

They are a new product Keith is working on, they will be up on his website in a few days - these are the 1st ones off the production line.

They have rubber counter sunk into the bottom of the slabs.

Mine are 450mm x 500mm x 40mm. White beech hard wood. Oiled.

Drop@cheekyboy a PM as I'm sure he'd give you a bit more info on them.

Beautiful system! I bet it sounds amazing.

Can you tell us more about these isolation platforms? Can't see them on the Wyndham Audio webpage. What kind of feet are they using? 
  • Like 1

So, full range coming from a 6.5 " speaker. Thats amazing. No sub anywhere? System looks great John and must sound hot if Greg loves it. Will be interesting to hear how you finally set up the two tables and compare. Isolation is sooo important. Congrats mate.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pine weasel said:

That system looks great, and I imagine would sound even better.

May I ask what the long term plan is with 2 TTs?

Does one work better with particular types of music, or is it just fun having 2 to play with?

Cheers

Hi mate

Once the new tonearm is in, I will have a better guide for what I do.  But it started out as having 2 different flavours of TT setups (didn't want them to sound the same), so the Archon isn't as warm as the Harmony as a starter (but it isn't neutral by any stretch).  The surprise was how effective the isolation dampened the TTs.  The TR was brighter than the Soulines at the start of this journey, which was fine.  But now the brightness is gone, much more solid and deep sound. The gap has certainly closed significant between them (with the addition of the headshell and isolation).

I want a Jazz and Non Jazz TT is my end game. But some albums will sound better on one over the other TT, so it wont be a hard and fast rule.  Soulines is Jazz for the moment.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Wow! Definitely in the top 5 of systems i'd love to hear one day. Stunning attention to detail and I envy those with the dedication to utilise more than one turntable in the quest for perfection. Well done :thumb:

whenever you intend on getting to Syd, let's plan in advance. Some excellent systems nearby as well ( @Doppelganger )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pine weasel said:

Thanks John

Have you thought about a mono cartridge, now that you have the Arche headshell and can easily change cartridges?

I've found it can make a big difference, especially with old mono jazz records.

Cheers

it did cross my mind.  I have a few mono records, but not enough to justify a mono cart (at the moment)

2 minutes ago, pine weasel said:

I've found the biggest benefit is with old mono records from the 50s and 60s. It really seems to reduce surface noise/etc

With newer mono records, the Archon and the mono switch on the Edison seem to work just fine

Ahh, I see we have some similar components.  There are some great Japanese Mono's that are on my wishlist…  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/10/2019 at 8:43 PM, Cardiiiii said:

@scuzziiWhere's the platter mat from?

hi mate

do you mean the hardwood isolation platforms?  They are from Wyndham Audio   @cheekyboy  keith has them on his website.

https://www.wyndhamaudio.com.au/collections/types?q=Isolation Platforms

If you mean the TT's - both are through Keith as well

• Like 1

On 07/10/2019 at 8:43 PM, Cardiiiii said:

@scuzziiWhere's the platter mat from?

ahh - sorry. i misread that message. hadn't had my coffee. Thought you had said platter....

Mats were from a seller on ebay.  But i'd advise against those ones.  they are quite coarse and i don't use them as they would damage the playing surface of albums.

3 hours ago, scuzzii said:

hi mate

do you mean the hardwood isolation platforms?  They are from Wyndham Audio   @cheekyboy  keith has them on his website.

https://www.wyndhamaudio.com.au/collections/types?q=Isolation Platforms

If you mean the TT's - both are through Keith as well

Nice platform and I especially like his advertising photo.