scuzzii

Updated system: Scuzzii (almost completed)

Posted (edited)

Folks,

Thought I would update you all on system development and what is now in my setup.  I've had a few months off recovering from surgery and had a lot of time on my hands, so the focus has been on music and system. Both purchasing new vinyl and playing it, plus purchasing some new components, adding in isolation and replacing some cables, carts.

Most of the advice and equipment has come from Keith at Wyndham Audio  @cheekyboy with assistance from Harry at SGR

What is in the system now is as follows:

Soulines Kubrick with Brinkmann 10.5 tonearm and Acoustical Systems Archon cart (with PSC Custom Tonearm cable)

TransRotor Dark Star with stock Jelco (to be upgraded soon) and Shelter Harmony cart on a Acoustical Systems Archon headshell (with Furutech AG-16 tonearm cable coming from @Krispy Audio)

Brinkmann Edison Phono Stage

Luxman D05 SACD player

Luxman 590AX Amplifier

Wyndham Audio CH2s (with Travertine slabs as isolation)

Blusound Node 2 streamer (into the SACD DAC)

Cardas Clear Reflection XLR cable between Phono and Amp from @rossb

So the major changes have been the addition off the TR turntable, the Acoustical Systems Archon Cart, Acoustical Systems Arche headshell, Wyndham Audio isolation platforms for the TT's and Phono Stage (with assistance from @Dave O))) with isolation cubes).

Cant thank @cheekyboy Keith enough. A lot of time discussing and planning the upgrades over the past 4 months to get the additional Transrotor Dark Star TT, the isolation platforms (the white beech hardwood looks absolutely beautiful), The headshells and Archon Cart.  Also @Doppelganger Greg for setting up the carts last night (my hangover is still with me).

The biggest surprise has been the positive effects of putting the isolation in - dramatic.

**EDIT - for those who have enquired about the wooden isolation platforms, pls see link

https://www.wyndhamaudio.com.au/products/natural-timber-audio-component-isolation-platforms

Now onto the pics..  (there are pics prior to the cart swaps last night - but I've included them to show off the beautiful hardwood isolation platforms)

P1040025.JPG

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

20190731_170427.jpg

20190810_172023.jpg

20190810_172006.jpg

P1040030.JPG

P1040029.JPG

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

P1040033.JPG

P1040027.JPG

P1040026.JPG

P1040032.JPG

Edited by scuzzii

I  was given an early peek at this system a little while back, red wine was in evidence and tasty music as well. Can only acknowledge Scuzzi's dedication to what we all aspire too. @cheekyboy 's big white marvels just dominate and the rest of the system(structurally) just synch's in with them doesn't it.

*Excellent photos.

**If the artist formerly known as Hensa was involved , then it's no wonder you felt a bit groggy the next morning.

***As  I told you: Marvellous system mate👌

2 minutes ago, Luc said:

I  was given an early peek at this system a little while back, red wine was in evidence and tasty music as well. Can only acknowledge Scuzzi's dedication to what we all aspire too. @cheekyboy 's big white marvels just dominate and the rest of the system(structurally) just synch's in with them doesn't it.

*Excellent photos.

**If the artist formerly known as Hensa was involved , then it's no wonder you felt a bit groggy the next morning.

***As  I told you: Marvellous system mate👌

Cheers Lee,  we had a great night last night. Very wobbly today...…..   just practicing for St Kilda mate when we catch up!!

Fantastic journey, John and the system is sounding better than I've ever heard it and that's saying something in itself! Well done to you and to@cheekyboy for his excellent guidance.

@Luc, couldn't agree more about that Hensa bloke!:thumb:

7 minutes ago, Doppelganger said:

@Luc, couldn't agree more about that Hensa bloke!:thumb:

Blokes an absolute danger isn't he. Glad your aware of his bad influence and effect he has on people's liver.

BTW, I need some help (a lot actually) in mounting a wood body Duc cart to my LP12...Mark& the Scuzz said you'd be the man. I've never done it before. When you get some leisure between drinks gimme a hoi!

Beautiful system! I bet it sounds amazing.

2 hours ago, scuzzii said:

The biggest surprise has been the positive effects of putting the isolation in - dramatic.

Can you tell us more about these isolation platforms? Can't see them on the Wyndham Audio webpage. What kind of feet are they using? 

Hi mate

They are a new product Keith is working on, they will be up on his website in a few days - these are the 1st ones off the production line.

They have rubber counter sunk into the bottom of the slabs.

Mine are 450mm x 500mm x 40mm. White beech hard wood. Oiled.

Drop@cheekyboy a PM as I'm sure he'd give you a bit more info on them.

Beautiful system! I bet it sounds amazing.

Can you tell us more about these isolation platforms? Can't see them on the Wyndham Audio webpage. What kind of feet are they using? 

So, full range coming from a 6.5 " speaker. Thats amazing. No sub anywhere? System looks great John and must sound hot if Greg loves it. Will be interesting to hear how you finally set up the two tables and compare. Isolation is sooo important. Congrats mate.

Awesome job mate. 

That system looks great, and I imagine would sound even better.

May I ask what the long term plan is with 2 TTs?

Does one work better with particular types of music, or is it just fun having 2 to play with?

Cheers

2 minutes ago, pine weasel said:

That system looks great, and I imagine would sound even better.

May I ask what the long term plan is with 2 TTs?

Does one work better with particular types of music, or is it just fun having 2 to play with?

Cheers

Hi mate

Once the new tonearm is in, I will have a better guide for what I do.  But it started out as having 2 different flavours of TT setups (didn't want them to sound the same), so the Archon isn't as warm as the Harmony as a starter (but it isn't neutral by any stretch).  The surprise was how effective the isolation dampened the TTs.  The TR was brighter than the Soulines at the start of this journey, which was fine.  But now the brightness is gone, much more solid and deep sound. The gap has certainly closed significant between them (with the addition of the headshell and isolation).

I want a Jazz and Non Jazz TT is my end game. But some albums will sound better on one over the other TT, so it wont be a hard and fast rule.  Soulines is Jazz for the moment.

Thanks John

Have you thought about a mono cartridge, now that you have the Arche headshell and can easily change cartridges?

I've found it can make a big difference, especially with old mono jazz records.

Cheers

Wow! Definitely in the top 5 of systems i'd love to hear one day. Stunning attention to detail and I envy those with the dedication to utilise more than one turntable in the quest for perfection. Well done :thumb:

55 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Wow! Definitely in the top 5 of systems i'd love to hear one day. Stunning attention to detail and I envy those with the dedication to utilise more than one turntable in the quest for perfection. Well done :thumb:

whenever you intend on getting to Syd, let's plan in advance. Some excellent systems nearby as well ( @Doppelganger )

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By dthompson
      Item: PureAudioProjects Stellar 12 OB loudspeakers
      Price: $18,500 + freight 
      Item Condition: Demonstration.....excellent.
      Payment Method: Cash or bank Transfer
      Extra Info: Wyndham Audio is selling this demonstration pair of PureAudioProjects Stellar 12 open baffle loudspeakers. These featured in the International hifi show at Albert Park in 2016.
      They have been used for demonstration purposes only and played infrequently.
      They a big, bold and beautiful with a unique look and a sound that is superb. They deliver great bass, well articulated mids and accurate clear high frequency. The sound -stage is deep and broad as you'd expect and you seem to become immersed within the soundstage. Instrument placement is excellent with point and source well articulated.
      We have played them on a variety of amplifiers from low powered valve to high powered solid state and the Stellars performed superbly with all. This allows for individual choice for a customer preferring or keen to experiment with sound source.
      These loudspeaker come with their own designed and constructed travel cases....which are themselves stunning. So transport is pretty straight forward. These cases are on wheels so moving them is easy. They are large
      Costs for transport would obviously vary depending upon location and noting complications known as stairs etc. but due to their travel cases relatively straight forward.
      They would suit a number of rooms....obviously medium sized and up to allow for the room from rear and side walls. Once correct placement is achieved the spikes can be fitted. We curwenly do not have the spikes fitted due to home wooden flooring.
      Wyndham Audio is selling these on behalf of PureAudioProjects from Israel. They retail for $25,000 USD....so this represents a huge saving for something so incredibly unique.
      So please drop Dave a note to arrange a listening session. 
      Pictures:

• By scuzzii
      Keith

hope you don't mind me starting a thread in your section.  Since I purchased the Tonearm from you, figured people might be interested in my impressions on a product you sell .

With a massive thanks to Keith for arranging the Tonearm and delivery and a massive thanks to Greg @Hensa for installing it yesterday, I'm the lucky owner of a new tonearm - Brinkman 10.5.

https://www.wyndhamaudio.com.au/products/brinkmann-10-5-tonearm

I didn't quite understand the difference Tonearms make, and certainly over the past 2 years I've seen a few comments from SNA'rs who gave recommendations on where I should look to upgrade across the end to end chain of my system.  So after about 6 months of discussing it with Keith (and then saving) I pulled the trigger on the Brinkman.  I trusted the advice from Keith and it also speaks volumes that it is the tonearm of choice for Keith in his system - so you know it will be good.

Greg volunteered (well I pestered him til he gave in) to install the arm yesterday.  Obviously I wasn't much help but Misha supervised so I knew it would be Ok.  A few funny moments in the installation but when we fired it up in anger we both just said "wow" - (well words similar but can't swear on here).

Immediately the bass was richer, fuller and deeper.  Not bloated, just better and deeper.  The clarity was a big change as well.  Many more layers to the music presentation. Remarkable a tonearm can make this kind of difference.

We played "Rag n Bone Man - Human" - we are both very familiar with this pressing and we could both hear the improvements in the sound presentation. More of the background effects were audible, the bass was just sensational (deep and sounding awesome), the best way to articulate the change is to say it is more "Holographic" (to borrow Greg's description of the sound).

Each Album we played afterwards we could both hear the improvement.  For me,  money well spent.  The uplift I reckon is around 15% in overall system performance - on what was a pretty decent sounding system already.  I'm being conservative as well with that percentage.

Loving the new Brinkman tonearm

Thanks again Keith and thanks Greg!!!

Woo hoo...............

Some pics from yesterday, before and after shots - with one of the supervisor (Misha).  From phone so perhaps not as good as others produce on here.

Jelco 750 Tonearm to Brinkman 10.5 Tonearm

• By scuzzii
      Just a quick post on Keith's visit yesterday.  Keith was coming back through Syd from melb where a new set of CH2's were delivered.  I'm sure the owner has spent the weekend gobsmacked at their performance (as I do each time I sit in front of mine).

A small group assembled (and a few couldn't make it due to flu - next time fellas)

@Hensa, @Nigel, @Headbanger arrived around 2pm/3pm mark and but Keith and I had been well under way already listening to Jason Isbell, Jeff Tweedy, John Mellencamp and Rodney Crowell.

In my view - Rodney Crowell was the best of the music all day.

I cant recall the exact order of the recordings we listened to so I will just post the pics of the Albums.  Finished around 10pm last night after a cracking day enjoying the system (most of which has come from Keith) and the music.  The synergy I'm getting through the Cart, TT, Phono stages, Amp to CH2's is highly enjoyable/stunning in my assessment (somewhat bias I appreciate).  I'm extremely satisfied with the sound I have and thanks must go to Keith and Dave for their advice on setup.  Great folks to deal with.

Brinkman Tone arm is a week or so away - that may just about do me as end state.   (ok for now -  may investigate 2nd TT but not sure I really need it).

I think Nigel and Russ took some pics as well through the day.

Over to the albums played - as an observation, the 45rpm releases stand out for me.  They just have more in the music.

Albums by

Jason Isbell
      Kandace Springs
      Bonobo
      Rodney Crowell
      Jacintha (45rpm)
      Vanessa Fernandez (45rpm)
      John Coltrane (45rpm)
      Jeff Tweedy
      Tom Petty
      Jack Johnson
      Glen Hansard
      Keb Mo
      Keb Mo and Taj Mahal
      John Mellencamp
      John Mayer (45rpm)
      Neil Diamond

• By TomW
      The October 2015 meeting of the Sydney Audio Club sees us once again gather for an afternoon of fine music, great sound and amicable company.

Each month, the Sydney Audio Club presents the finest in high end audio systems for our members and guests.  It's a bit like a private audio show once a month where you can hear and discuss equipment that you might not otherwise have the chance to audition.  And you can bring along your own music to test the capabilities of the system or to just share with like-minded music lovers in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

This month we will be presenting Wyndham Audio (http://www.wyndhamaudio.com.au).   Wyndham Audio is a high-end audio dealer / loudspeaker manufacturer that was formed as a partnership by two passionate and dedicated audio enthusiasts - Keith O’Neil and Dave Thompson.  Together they have a combined experience of over 80 years with high-end audio in Australia.  Both Dave and Keith have extensive experience in designing and building audio loudspeakers which they have presented to (and been tested and critically evaluated by) discerning audio people around Melbourne and other cities associated with StereoNet, Audio Guild, Lowther club and a few other groups – all of which demand top performance.   Wyndham Audio is based in the west of Melbourne in Wyndham Vale, however, they provide dedicated service to fellow audio enthusiasts throughout Australia.

Keith and Dave believe that all products listed for sale at Wyndham Audio are the very best available at the listed price point.  And they have limited their product line to only those products they have personally researched and auditioned. 

Details of the system….

Wyndham Audio CH2 conical horn single driver loudspeaker. Designed and built by Wyndham Audio.  Refer to http://www.wyndhamaudio.com.au/products/wyndham-audio-ch2-loudspeaker.  In the words of Dave and Keith… “This is a unique offering in the loudspeaker landscape. They offer great value for someone looking for an outstanding, high-end loudspeaker to enhance their listening pleasure. There are a myriad of 2 and 3 way speakers on the market and we wanted to offer something different. Also, we wanted to temper the reputation that abounds about the performance of single driver speakers…..so this presented us with an opportunity! […] the CH2  has shocked a lot of qualified people and caused them to rethink the type.â€

Dostoyevsky DCX turntable from Serbian manufacturer, Soulines.  The turntable is fitted with a Jelco arm and Shelter 501 cartridge.  Refer to http://www.wyndhamaudio.com.au/products/soulines-dostoyevsky-dcx-turntable and Soulines at http://soulines.com/

Graham Slee Majestic pre-amp/DAC.  Refer to http://www.wyndhamaudio.com.au/products/gsp-audio-majestic-dac-pre-amp

Graham Slee Proprius monoblock power amps.  Refer to http://www.wyndhamaudio.com.au/products/gsp-audio-proprius-monoblock-power-amplifier

Graham Slee Elevator and Reflex M phono stages (the giant killers!).  Refer to http://www.wyndhamaudio.com.au/products/gsp-reflex-m-phono-pre-amp and http://www.wyndhamaudio.com.au/products/gsp-audio-elevator-exp-step-up-preamplifier

Oppo BDP-105D Universal player – Refer to http://www.wyndhamaudio.com.au/products/oppo-bdp-105d-universal-3d-blu-ray-player and
      https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/blu-ray-BDP-105D-Overview.aspx and http://www.whathifi.com/oppo/bdp-105d/review

They may also bring an ME 580 power amp as well as backup (space permitting!).

The second half of the music sessions will be our popular BYO.   Members and guests are welcome to offer music to share with us all.  So bring along your favourite music on CD/SACD, flash drive or vinyl.   All we ask is that the music and recordings be interesting.  We'll ask you to tell us a little about the artist/recording before it is played.  Tracks over 6 minutes will be faded out, to give everyone a fair go.

Whether you are a novice or a seasoned veteran, you will have the opportunity to listen, learn and share your experiences with others of a similar mind.

Guests are always welcome – we are a very friendly club so you don't need to know anyone to join us for an afternoon of fine music and sound.  We will welcome you at the door.

Venue:  Epping Creative Centre, Dence Park
      Address:  26 Stanley St, Epping
      When:  Sunday 11th October 2015

Doors open 1pm
      Meeting starts at 2pm

Best regards,

Tom Waters
      President
      Sydney Audio Club
      www.sydneyaudioclub.org.au
      tomwaters@sydneyaudioclub.org.au