Sign in to follow this  
stuckinhere

Thor B8F Smart Filter 8 way Surge Protection $70ea!!! + other Thor bits cheap

Guest Muon N'

Is it sucking dynamics or is this just a perception from the cleaner power? I find it reduces bloom, and added bloom could be perceived as adding to the perception of greater dynamics IMO.

Eh, whatever works for you, or anyone else.

I'm leaving my amp connected to the Thor, and I don't have much choice anyway as I only have a single wall plug to use.

1 hour ago, Muon N' said:

Is it sucking dynamics or is this just a perception from the cleaner power? I find it reduces bloom, and added bloom could be perceived as adding to the perception of greater dynamics IMO.

I'm leaving my amp connected to the Thor, and I don't have much choice anyway as I only have a single wall plug to use.

Bloom /dynamics / snake oil 

Whatever you call it I spent 2 weeks with it and tuned my ear to it 

Upon removing the thor my system sounds better 

Guest Muon N'
11 minutes ago, cambam007 said:

Bloom /dynamics / snake oil 

Whatever you call it I spent 2 weeks with it and tuned my ear to it 

Upon removing the thor my system sounds better 

Whatever floats ya' boat :thumb:

anyone tried this $30 power board with $1000 resonance isolators and just as expensive power cables? 

just curious.

Guest Muon N'

Hmm...tomorrow I might try with daisy chaining a unfiltered board and the Thor, so i can have the amp unfiltered, and the CD Player only filtered. Could be that it restricts dynamic current supply.

4 hours ago, cambam007 said:

I have been listening to my system with the thor for about 2 weeks now and I believe I even stated it made no difference. 

Plugged back into a no name strip for the amp section and night and day difference. The thor sucks the dynamics out of the Amps. 

Highly recommended it for dacs, preamps etc but power amps benefit from not being fed by thor

4 hours ago, Muon N' said:

I have numerous passive and active filtering devices on my Hi-Fi gear which range from cheap to full blow online UPS.  I have yet to hear any sonic improvement or degradation of the actual material being played, bar the removal pops or crackles which can be induced if you have a noisy device on the same power circuit (ie air con-unit or fridge when the compressors kicks in)

Or removal of potential transformer hum (via the the active filtering and  load balancing) of a power amp when the local mains supply starts going out of tolerance when everyone turn on their air con at once ( which locally Energex will never admit to).   Removing ground loop noise is an entirely different matter...

These devices are mainly to save your expensive gear from noise spikes when a major surge comedowns the line.  This is a very good way to save a $2000+ amp from being smoked if you live in an area with crap power, power outages, or lots of lightning strikes.  If you can pick up something that is good quality for cheap go for it....

Guest Muon N'

OK, so everyone has different experiences.

Strange for this hobby xD

Edit: nothing is going to save you from a lightning strike, short of unplugging the devices.

Edited by Muon N'

Guest Muon N'

I definitely need the amp into a cheap unfiltered board, as the Thor does not meet the demanding swings of the amp.

I admit when wrong, and you guys saying it is a limiting factor when used with power/integrated amps you are right! I didn't want to believe it, but it is so :D

I have no idea if the boards have made a difference in my setup, because I've put in two new racks, changed the speaker cables for my front stage and temporarily replaced the Elektra with an old Marantz AVR because it blew a tyre.  Power amps (Marantz and sub) are in the wall, everything else is one of the Thor boards.

In any case, $30. I also like the angle of the corner sockets.

6 minutes ago, vagabond said:

I have no idea if the boards have made a difference in my setup, because I've put in two new racks, changed the speaker cables for my front stage and temporarily replaced the Elektra with an old Marantz AVR because it blew a tyre.  Power amps (Marantz and sub) are in the wall, everything else is one of the Thor boards.

In any case, $30. I also like the angle of the corner sockets.

I was in a similar situation, changed tweeters and caps then a few days later the thor. 

Ran it for a few weeks and removed it from the amplifier chain yesterday to a staggering difference. 

Guest Muon N'

Yup, no good for power/integrated amps, can't supply the dynamic power requirements.

As for Surge protection, boards are a bit of a joke, limited in what they will handle and for how long, a few decent spikes and they are likely done, and forget lightning strikes, if you want to save ya' gear in an electrical storm, unplug everything including aerial leads.

Definitely differing experiences, which is good to read. 

Like a lot of things in this hobby, some systems/people are more sensitive to changes, some systems are more revealing/forgiving etc and I guess that's largely because everyone has different systems, lives in different areas and its likely we all have  varying ages of power supply/circuits in our homes etc too.

So as I have been following this thread, is the general consensus on most user experience now....

USE the Thor for- DAC, Phono Stage, TurnTable, TV, CD Player, BluRay Player, Sub Woofers

DO NOT USE the Thor for - Integrated Amp, Power Amp, Pre Amp, AVR.

Edited by 08Boss302

Guest Muon N'

Pre amps should be OK, just not power or integrated, including AVR's.

Cheers,

A member posted earlier in this thread  a comparison he did with the Belkin and Thor and his experience was the Belkin lost no dynamics but provided the protection etc.

This might be another affordable option for those not getting along with the Thor. Worth a try as I think they can be bought for around $100

Guest Muon N'

OK, have tested and sounds best with the amp unfiltered and CD Player filtered with the Thor....subjectively of course.

3 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

OK, have tested and sounds best with the amp unfiltered and CD Player filtered with the Thor....subjectively of course.

Bloom lovers unite

Looking back through the thread @Mr Thorens did a nice comparison of the Thor board and his experience with the Belkin pro 4000.

A quick search on eBay sees these at pretty good price too...

WWW.EBAY.COM.AU

Find great deals for Belkin Pro 4000 8 Way Surge Power Protector with USB & More BV108280AU3M. Shop with confidence on eBay!

Not sure where it all stops, but some are finding constraints others are not. 

At the price of the Belkin and based on @Muon N' experience as well as @Mr Thorens experience and dissection of the Thor board he did it could be an option to run components such as phono stage, cd, bluray, TT, Subs etc via the Thor if you've already got it and alternatively run your amp/avr via the Belkin?

Guest Muon N'
2 hours ago, cambam007 said:

Bloom lovers unite

Actually I have tossed out that theory of mine (was thinking out loud, but believe I was wrong), as I think it has more to do with the filter board not providing transient power demands when the amplifier needs it, the board might provide plenty of constant power demands but not dynamic demands.

Just how 'm seeing it.

Guest Muon N'

Who's obsessive? not me 🤣

Wall  > generic 4 plug board > Thor Duo (and Amp) > second Thor Duo > CD Player.

20191119_170032.jpg.4ea05a0de945483a5b27d0f53e6244a2.jpg

1 hour ago, Muon N' said:

Actually I have tossed out that theory of mine (was thinking out loud, but believe I was wrong), as I think it has more to do with the filter board not providing transient power demands when the amplifier needs it, the board might provide plenty of constant power demands but not dynamic demands.

If your theory is correct, with a class A amp (that draws constant current,) it shouldn't have any detrimental effect. Most preamps are class A, but very few power amps are mostly or entirely class A.

Edited by Ittaku

Guest Muon N'
5 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

If your theory is correct, with a class A amp (that draws constant current,) it shouldn't have any detrimental effect. Most preamps are class A, but very few power amps are mostly or entirely class A.

May be.

I'm just going on what I have found with my two component system, Amp + Cd Player. Beyond that I'm speculating on the why's as best I can, however good it is.

Listening with CD Player off the 2x Duo's and Amp into the non filtered board, I'm liking it, no loss in dynamics and if anything it now sounds more dynamic as well as cleaner.

36 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Who's obsessive? not me 🤣

Wall  > generic 4 plug board > Thor Duo (and Amp) > second Thor Duo > CD Player.

20191119_170032.jpg.4ea05a0de945483a5b27d0f53e6244a2.jpg

Time to upgrade the generic 4 plug board with Belkin? $7.99 off (20% discount) with code PLOTS20

WWW.EBAY.COM.AU

Rated to withstand a power surge of up to 900 joules. Eight protected AC...

8 minutes ago, fell off the boat said:

Time to upgrade the generic 4 plug board with Belkin? $7.99 off (20% discount) with code PLOTS20

WWW.EBAY.COM.AU

Rated to withstand a power surge of up to 900 joules. Eight protected AC...

Funny seeing the power board claim a surge of up to 900 joules. This is the documentation from my power amps:

image.png.fca3aabec4f2be221c39698668e1ed97.png

Completely unrelated, and random association, but funny nonetheless.

Guest Muon N'

I'm not all that committed to surge protection with boards, they only offer limited protection for a limited time, and the warranties are a joke, ever heard of a successful claim.