stuckinhere

Thor B8F Smart Filter 8 way Surge Protection $70ea!!! + other Thor bits cheap

On 11/04/2019 at 6:47 PM, scobb said:

could I have 2

Not only is this the bargain of the year it really works. I thought I had good noise filtration with the Isotek then Belkin until I got this. What is the most obvious improvement is opening up of soundstage everything is more three dimensional. And the top end is cleaner than I’ve heard before. Great power board. 

Edited by Mr Thorens

On 26/08/2019 at 11:19 PM, Snoopy8 said:

By reducing the background noise, the Thor board may have exposed a problem in your set up. You may be hearing DC noise caused by a transformer

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-dc-blocker-to-help-stop-transformer-hum.948/

mwhouston makes and sells one

There was one recently in Classifieds.

Holton also have one

https://holtonprecisionaudio.com/products/holton-dc-blocker-one

More expensive, but even better filtering..

Hi Snoop

Quick question. Do you have any experience with the Gigawatt Powerstrips (eg. GigaWatt PF-1 or PF-2)? I was considering these but now thinking it may be better to buy the Thor for now given the price and then see how i go. I know they are completely different price points and the PF-2 also supports some power conditioning. As a newbie, i'm looking for some advice. Thanks

Got mine in the mail. Here're the results.

Without filter:

MVIMG_20191030_102746.thumb.jpg.56a7a156d5bc36adf787b0c38d9a635d.jpg

With filter:

IMG_20191030_102813.thumb.jpg.32664782991886cc6759f98eb4638771.jpg

So at the very least, I can conclusively say these definitely filter out power line noise. Note this is not an endorsement that it makes any audible difference though. Assuming equipment has its power induced noise floor noise at -120dB, that means that in this example the baseline noise is at -145dB (25dB lower), and this change would have decreased it by 5dB to -150dB (30dB lower), while the power line noise floor would still be at -120dB.

Edited by Ittaku

1 hour ago, Asakusa Kitsune said:

Hi Snoop

Quick question. Do you have any experience with the Gigawatt Powerstrips (eg. GigaWatt PF-1 or PF-2)? I was considering these but now thinking it may be better to buy the Thor for now given the price and then see how i go. I know they are completely different price points and the PF-2 also supports some power conditioning. As a newbie, i'm looking for some advice. Thanks

I have not used the Gigawatt products so cannot comment. I have used other power filtering/ conditioning products including Thor but most are no longer in use with stereo setup. While they gave a lower noise floor, they impacted the dynamics of the music (play music with a fast beat). In my stereo chain, there is only a Horton DC blocker.

Note that the only way to find out whether a power product works is to try it. It may work for you or impact the music. Sorry, no easy answer, you need to try yourself.

32 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I have not used the Gigawatt products so cannot comment. I have used other power filtering/ conditioning products including Thor but most are no longer in use with stereo setup. While they gave a lower noise floor, they impacted the dynamics of the music (play music with a fast beat). In my stereo chain, there is only a Horton DC blocker.

Note that the only way to find out whether a power product works is to try it. It may work for you or impact the music. Sorry, no easy answer, you need to try yourself.

Thanks for that. :)I think i'll start with the Thor and see how I go.

Just grabbed one 8 plug, one 4 plug, and one of the single Smart TV units to go in the wall behind the TV, thanks OP.  Will shortly figure out why I need another one.  

@getdisdude Cheap way to start down the power improvement path?

31 minutes ago, Topman_Chief said:

Just grabbed one 8 plug, one 4 plug, and one of the single Smart TV units to go in the wall behind the TV, thanks OP.  Will shortly figure out why I need another one.  

nice.. i'll pick one up as well. I've already got the belkin one.. 

More information Belkin vs Thor today. Equipment used: Audia Flight FL3s amp, Technics SP10mk2 TT, Ortofon Quintet Bronze cart, Wilson Benesch speakers. Test tracks Daft Punk Georgio by Morodo and Lose Yourself to Dance. 

Thor is quieter, enables slightly more nuance and hidden detail and timbre particularly when things get complex and better 3D detail into space. Seems more resolved. However on bass notes it is a little bit less impactful. That’s not to say it isn’t there, just has slightly less dynamics and slam compared to the Belkin. Or maybe what I’m hearing from the Belkin is more noise masquerading as slam. The Belkin doesn’t lose any dynamics compared to plugging in direct to the wall but it’s filtering isn’t quite as effective as the Thor. Belkin is a bit less resolved and the Thor opens up the soundstage quite a bit more. Thor might filter more out with a little loss of macro dynamics. Bass is still low and deep on the Thor just a little bit less punch maybe. Possible the difference is the Thor has 1.0mm gauge cable, the Belkin 1.5mm. But either way they’re both very good at their jobs. Like them both. But for me the Thor wins. 

Edited by Mr Thorens

1 hour ago, Topman_Chief said:

@Topman_Chief does the smart tv unit replace the factory chord on the tv entirely or work with it?

do you run that into the thor board or just into the wall?  Doesn't really provide a chord length, wondering if i can find a reason to buy one also LOL,  but needs to be pretty long chord thats all.

Would anyone know if the 4 port models have similar RFI filtering or is this only something on the larger model?

Thankyou

1 hour ago, 08Boss302 said:

@Topman_Chief does the smart tv unit replace the factory chord on the tv entirely or work with it?

do you run that into the thor board or just into the wall?  Doesn't really provide a chord length, wondering if i can find a reason to buy one also LOL,  but needs to be pretty long chord thats all.

I didn't look at the length. I figure I'll just add an extension lead if need be. I don't believe it needs the Thor board. Check out the Thor site for more info - I did about 10 secs research and hit buy! I like the idea that it can fit in the wall behind my TV, which the boards won't.