Thor B8F Smart Filter 8 way Surge Protection $70ea!!! + other Thor bits cheap

7 hours ago, Mr.Anderson said:

I bought 4 but all 4 of them have audible transformer hum...

I have plugged them to various loads but as soon as something is plugged, there's a humming noise emitted from the board..

anybody else noticed this ?

Cheers..

I have two and don’t seem to have this issue.  Sounds like something is not quite right in your set up.  Perhaps the Thor is more sensitive to whatever is going on than your previous board.  The chance of all 4 being dodgy would have to be pretty low.

58 minutes ago, RussB said:

I have two and don’t seem to have this issue.  Sounds like something is not quite right in your set up.  Perhaps the Thor is more sensitive to whatever is going on than your previous board.  The chance of all 4 being dodgy would have to be pretty low.

Thanks. yeah I have tried to make sense of this for the past 3 days. I suppose I should probably take them to someone else's home and try to see.

Cheers...

I finally got to try mine in my system. Compared to my DBA-1500 line balancer, the DBA is a little bit better. I think the bass is........Deeper. The mids and highs are about the same. 

I had pre ampPSU and power amp plugged into one side and the digital, TV, Apple TV plugged into the other side.

MACbook pro 15" with audirvana 

Apple TV>> 10cm optical cable>>Topping D50>>10cm Mogami>>B1 Buffer>>30cm Van Damme LOCAP55>>B&O ICE125ASX2>>Clone Kimber 12TC>>Benchmark S300

11 hours ago, Mr.Anderson said:

I bought 4 but all 4 of them have audible transformer hum...

I have plugged them to various loads but as soon as something is plugged, there's a humming noise emitted from the board..

anybody else noticed this ?

Cheers..

Have noticed this on my 2 units. Hum is a lot softer without the power amp plugged into the board. 

How loud is the hum?  I bought several 8 and 6 way boards, and some of the standalone in line power lead filters.  None exhibit any hum, well unless I put my ear hard up against the plastic housing there might be some inductor noise.

10 hours ago, Syrot said:

How loud is the hum?  I bought several 8 and 6 way boards, and some of the standalone in line power lead filters.  None exhibit any hum, well unless I put my ear hard up against the plastic housing there might be some inductor noise.

@syrot the hum is quite audible from 5 feet away when the room is silent. 

Cheers...

Sounds like you have something going on with the power at your place or on that circuit. I would be surprised all four products are faulty, pretty much if they are all exhibiting the same issue most likely something else is causing the problem.  Do you have noise or other audio problems with your gear without the use of the Thor products?

I have purchased heaps of the Thor products as well as many other line filter power boards and not heard any significant noise from the boards.   Is it actually hum, i.e. low frequency transformer hum and it is coming from the power boards?  Typically, you will only get mechanical hum from transformers when the internal core laminations expand and contract when magnetized.  These power boards don't contain any. 

If it is a high pitched buzz could be a ground loop, unless you have heaps of DC sitting on the 240V AC waveform which could generate some noise on the internal inductors.

Do you have an earth isolator, if not get a cheap double adaptor and cut off the earth pin.  Use as TESTING only, as it will compromise the safety of any device that is not double insulated.  If the buzzing goes away then could be other things you may want to look into.

Edited by Syrot

On 01/12/2019 at 3:36 PM, Syrot said:

Sounds like you have something going on with the power at your place or on that circuit. I would be surprised all four products are faulty, pretty much if they are all exhibiting the same issue most likely something else is causing the problem.  Do you have noise or other audio problems with your gear without the use of the Thor products?

I have purchased heaps of the Thor products as well as many other line filter power boards and not heard any significant noise from the boards.   Is it actually hum, i.e. low frequency transformer hum and it is coming from the power boards?  Typically, you will only get mechanical hum from transformers when the internal core laminations expand and contract when magnetized.  These power boards don't contain any. 

If it is a high pitched buzz could be a ground loop, unless you have heaps of DC sitting on the 240V AC waveform which could generate some noise on the internal inductors.

Do you have an earth isolator, if not get a cheap double adaptor and cut off the earth pin.  Use as TESTING only, as it will compromise the safety of any device that is not double insulated.  If the buzzing goes away then could be other things you may want to look into.

Thanks for the reply,

I don't have any issues with my Audio setup since I send all the power through a AC > DC > AC re-generator. The THOR boards were bought as something to filter the current for AV setup. (TV/Blu-Ray/Sound bar etc.) And yes I do hear a very clear low mechanical noise from all the boards when connected.

Cheers...

@Mr.Anderson

Time to contact the EBay seller, I have all my power boards from Thor in the house, none exhibit or should exhibit noise. 
A bad batch is the most likely culprit rather than anything else.

Neo

Edited by Neo
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Neo said:

@Mr.Anderson

Time to contact the EBay seller, I have all my power boards from Thor in the house, none exhibit or should exhibit noise. 
A bad batch is the most likely culprit rather than anything else.

Neo

Thanks Neo,

He asked me to return them and said will send me 4 new ones.

Cheers...

I was so happy with the board that I ordered 5 of the two power outlet ones (at only $10 each) and am using them in reverse - I've plugged in all non-audio equipment that is on the same circuit into them to minimise the hash they introduce back into the circuit. This successfully dropped the remaining power outlets down from a noise level of 1000mV (at the time) down to 700mV. The remaining low current audio devices are on the multi-boards - only one device per bank. I think if I squint hard I can convince myself that the background seems to have become quieter, but my son thinks I'm dreaming, so I'll go back to saying it still hasn't made a difference.

• Like 2

On 03/12/2019 at 2:51 PM, Mr.Anderson said:

Thanks Neo,

He asked me to return them and said will send me 4 new ones.

Cheers...

Let me know if this resolves your issue.

I tested my 3 boards last night, 2 were bought at the same time and 1 more a month or so later. I took my integrated amp around and plugged it into the Thor board. As soon as I did (amp is powered on but idle, amp not connected to anything else) I could hear the humming noise. I repeated this with all the boards, at multiple powerpoints in the house and all exhibited the same. I wonder if I've got 'dirty' mains power or something to that effect?

Not an electrical engineer.

On 03/12/2019 at 3:03 PM, Ittaku said:

I was so happy with the board that I ordered 5 of the two power outlet ones (at only $10 each) and am using them in reverse - I've plugged in all non-audio equipment that is on the same circuit into them to minimise the hash they introduce back into the circuit. This successfully dropped the remaining power outlets down from a noise level of 1000mV (at the time) down to 700mV. The remaining low current audio devices are on the multi-boards - only one device per bank. I think if I squint hard I can convince myself that the background seems to have become quieter, but my son thinks I'm dreaming, so I'll go back to saying it still hasn't made a difference.

Did the same. Winner.

On 11/08/2019 at 12:12 PM, stuckinhere said:

These boards are usually $199 when on sale!! RRP is $259.95

Link for the B8F page from Thor website

They are listed as Brand New with FREE postage, the ebay store owner is Radio Rentals in Prospect SA (Adelaidians can even collect from the store)

$70ea with Free postage!!! more than 10 available 

(Bought two myself and the order and payment went through without issue)

Have at it!! -  Thor B8F Smart Filter 8 way Surge Protection $70ea!!!

Same seller has a few other Thor Tech items available all are >$70 Link

I just ordered 2 at $30 each, free postage.

• Like 1

I grabbed an A12BF as well to do a comparison between the B8F "smart filter" which is all passive filtering and the A12BF "smart board" which has some kind of dynamic active tracking which is meant to provide more filtering than the passive board, and 3 banks instead of 2. My comparison didn't come up with a glowing result for the smart board. Only one bank had more filtering than the smart filter, and one bank was even worse than the wall power line noise. I'm so confused by the results that I've emailed Thor to ask them about it. Here is the video of me doing the comparison below:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ittaku said:

I'm so confused by the results that I've emailed Thor to ask them about it. Here is the video of me doing the comparison below:

I got an answer back from Thor saying bank 1 was not filtered. That's very confusing given the way it's portrayed on the board and the website. It also doesn't explain bank 2 and 3 having different effectiveness.

Edited by Ittaku

Bought two of each - 4 and 8 outlet .  At $15 and $30 respectively, they are good value as power strips 

I'll immediately test for any hum but am hoping that they'll be an improvement over the old faithful > decade old power strips I've been using in some parts of the home.

• 1 month later...