Thor B8F Smart Filter 8 way Surge Protection $70ea!!! + other Thor bits cheap

8 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I was in an av store today and saw the Thor hanging on the wall for $249 and thought damn I gotta getta one for $30 just because it’s so cheap.
Still deciding if I actually need it !

At $30 just buy it as a spare powerboard to use in place of kambrook junk and you never know you might be filtering noise going into your mains from random other things in your house.

3 minutes ago, buddyev said:

Ok, I admit it, i’m a bit of a dope, but I can’t see how this plugs into the mains. 

It is just a powerboard with a cord and plug to connect to a power point. They provide a modest level of filtration and surge protection. A good buy at $30 but don't expect any great sonic gains in my experience.

20 minutes ago, Telecine said:

It is just a powerboard with a cord and plug to connect to a power point. They provide a modest level of filtration and surge protection. A good buy at $30 but don't expect any great sonic gains in my experience.

That’s what I assumed but I just can’t see a cable out socket in any of the pics. Anyway, I’ll grab a couple. 

Just now, buddyev said:

That’s what I assumed but I just can’t see a cable out socket in any of the pics. Anyway, I’ll grab a couple. 

I bought a couple myself. They have a power cord. For $29.10 posted (with the discount code), they are a good buy for a variety of uses.

• Like 1

I reckon they offer a pretty good level of surge protection.

11 minutes ago, flamjam said:
4 hours ago, Telecine said:

I reckon they offer a pretty good level of surge protection.

Possibly so and the main reason that I purchased them.

Guest Muon N'

Grabbed a 2 outlet one also, after realising I only have two components that make up my system, CD Player and Amp.

The 8 outlet one can be used elsewhere here.

11 hours ago, shazza6887 said:

Why is this considered bad for your pre/pro to plug into?

Wondering this also. 

Seems a bit of divided opinion on whether to plug amps into these or run them via mains and use these type of boards for your digital components and other stuff. 

I think maybe some are finding the filtration hindering dynamics or power from the amp?

I bought a couple and plan on plugging everything (TV, streamer, phono stages, subs, TT's, AVR, Int Amp) into it.  Thinking also of running my ethernet cables into it as it has an in/out for that too.

If I notice a negative change in sound I can revert but this has to be better than the dept store surge protection board I am running right now.

Guest vagabond
12 hours ago, shazza6887 said:

Why is this considered bad for your pre/pro to plug into?

As far as I know it isn't. Power amps, on the other hand, are reported to get choked.  That would include AVRs and integrated amps. 

Installed 3 units on the weekend.

A B8F at the Computer desk.

A B8F on an AV system that has an Audiolab 8000A amp into PSB bookshelf speakers. 

An E1/45U on an audio system that has a Pioneer A-447 amp into the Silcron transmission line speakers that I recently acquired.

No sonic differences detected on either of the audio systems.

From the pics posted earlier in the thread, all the circuitry in these power boards is passive.  The 17 AWG hookup wire is the same gauge used in 10A power cords, so will be the same (or heavier) as that used in the power cords provided with your equipment.  From my experience, the wider current-carrying PCB tracks certainly look fit for purpose.

At the end of the day they're designed to still deliver up to 10A @ 240V, 50Hz AC from any of the outlets.  The surge protection components (MOVs & PTCs), under normal conditions, are all high impedance and virtually invisible.  The effects of the filter components all only kick in at frequencies way, way, way above 50Hz so should have no bearing on the mains power delivered to the equipment.

Bear in mind that a 100W/ch Class A/B amplifier pushed to within a bees **** of clipping will still only draw less than 2A from the 240V source - only 20% of what the outlet is designed to deliver.

I don't see any reason not to use them on integrateds or power amps.

On another note, considering the RRP of these products, I would have expected to see shielding around the antenna filter board.  So not sure if I'll use that feature, but not complaining at the price I got it for!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, vagabond said:

As far as I know it isn't. Power amps, on the other hand, are reported to get choked.  That would include AVRs and integrated amps. 

I always find these comments interesting and how they start? Any decent power filter will not 'choke' any product including  power amps, they just clean the noise, spikes,  ripple sitting upon the incoming AC waveform.  Unless someone has decided to build in a massive resistive  circuit into  the power board you are not going to see any drop in delivered current or voltage.  If you believe your power amp will get chocked from this device then you should consider the path the energy you are using is getting to us via our power distribution network.  Power companies don't use 99.99999% crystal aligned oxygen free copper cables.

I am just bummed I paid $70 four months ago for mine thinking it was bargain and stock would run out.  Now at $30 you cant go wrong.  

Edited by Syrot
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, 08Boss302 said:

Great information. Thank you.

Any thoughts/information on the ethernet filter board area or does that fall in the same as the antenna?

Ideally it would be nice to see that part shielded too, but it probably isn't necessary, so I wouldn't hesitate to use that filter if I had the need.

Ethernet & telephone connections are balanced signals, so shielding is certainly not as important as it is on an antenna connection, which is an unbalanced signal.

The vast majority of Ethernet (UTP) cables are not shielded.  UTP = Unshielded Twisted Pair.  In balanced signals, noise reduction is achieved by common-mode rejection rather than shielding.

• Like 1