Thor B8F Smart Filter 8 way Surge Protection $70ea!!! + other Thor bits cheap

27 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

Oh wow, this is not great news...Mine arrived today, i was going to set it up this weekend.

No idea if my power is dirty or noisy, not even sure how to tell actually, but I had planned on using this in a dedicated set up.  Right now i am using a std powerboard and figured this would be a step up in every way.

I am now keen to see/hear what if any difference I pick up.

At $30, if its a backward step i'll use in the shed anyway!

For the price, no brainer. I was just comparing with audiophile grade power board. This should be as good as other consumer grade power surge protection board or better. However, if someone wants to use this for dedicated music listening set up, then it may not be a good idea.

I am going to use it for my TV, Computer and Game Set up so will make a good use out of it. Just stay it out of my dedicated music listening set up.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Just got the board and tested and it is solidly built and probably better built than other consumer graded powerboards. Mainly plastic but has a bit of weight to it. 

Comparing with my Consonance Powerboard which does not have any filter in it, Thor is actually degrading the sound quality. To my surprise, I could tell the difference pretty much immediately. With Thor, the sound is thinner & a bit artificial overall and lose the smooth & natural high.   

It reminds me of active noise cancellation headphone that I used to have which I did not like the sound out of it. I guess that Thor's inside filter actually makes difference.

If someone has very noisy or dirty power, it might work well and help reducing the noise from power source.

It would be a good quality board for visual and other electronics but not for audio though especially dedicated music listening setup at least for me..

nice balanced view.   matches my experience - powerboards with no filtering for audio generally sound better.

• Like 2

Guest vagabond
31 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

For the price, no brainer. I was just comparing with audiophile grade power board. This should be as good as other consumer grade power surge protection board or better. However, if someone wants to use this for dedicated music listening set up, then it may not be a good idea.

I am going to use it for my TV, Computer and Game Set up so will make a good use out of it. Just stay it out of my dedicated music listening set up.

Quick question if you don't mind - are you using it for power amps as well as pre and sources?

Mine arrived today, I don't have any uber power conditioners to compare them with but for me, replacing the power strips I had has Done great things. I had a slight transformer hum in someof my equipment that I could not eradicate but it's now gone. I am running meridian dsp speakers and am able to have everything on a separate ground now. 

Yet to give it a critical listening but casually it sounds fantastic 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, metal beat said:

powerboards with no filtering for audio generally sound better

I bought 3. One for me and 2 xmas presents.

I can't hear any difference sound wise compared to the board it replaced( cheapy rubbish). I am hoping the board offers some protection from nasty power surges. 

Then again I can't hear any difference with directional interconnects around the wrong way! 

Actually I can't hear any difference with standard power cables and better quality ones.

Might be my old ears on the way out.?

• Like 1

Guest Mr Thorens

Well tonight I’ve noticed something with the Thor. Whilst it cleans up the signal and makes the space sound blacker, especially good with solo piano, when moving to jazz and rock I notice some loss of bass depth and speed. So it’s time for a look inside. Here’s pics. The current runs through PCB tracks and 17AWG (1.0mm2) hookup wire. So it might be softening dynamics. The Belkin Pro 4000 board doesn’t have this issue, although it’s not quite as quiet. 

8E768B50-098E-4372-B8E7-F1F7AE351011.jpeg

D968324E-79DF-4003-B140-F6304EA225AD.jpeg

AC149BB2-A0CD-4BAD-B448-B4C0C70768D8.jpeg

Interesting. 

So as a heavy metal listener for 97% of my music this might not work out as well as I originally thought?

I'd bought two, planned on plugging in Integrated Amp, Streamer, Dac, Turntable and Phono Stage into x1 of them

and the other was going to get my TV, AVR, VCR, BluRay, CD player.

Edited by 08Boss302

7 minutes ago, Mr Thorens said:

Well tonight I’ve noticed something with the Thor. Whilst it cleans up the signal and makes the space sound blacker, especially good with solo piano, when moving to jazz and rock I notice some loss of bass depth and speed.

Powering what components? Are you putting power/integrated amps through it?

21 minutes ago, Mr Thorens said:

Well tonight I’ve noticed something with the Thor

Anything inside that might offer power surge protection?

I ask the dumb questions so that others don't.

Edited by Hazzzy

27 minutes ago, Mr Thorens said:

Well tonight I’ve noticed something with the Thor. Whilst it cleans up the signal and makes the space sound blacker, especially good with solo piano, when moving to jazz and rock I notice some loss of bass depth and speed. So it’s time for a look inside. Here’s pics. The current runs through PCB tracks and 17AWG (1.0mm2) hookup wire. So it might be softening dynamics. The Belkin Pro 4000 board doesn’t have this issue, although it’s not quite as quiet. 

Thank you for sharing the inside photos. It is always good to see what's inside and understand how it works.

• Like 1

Guest Mr Thorens
34 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Powering what components? Are you putting power/integrated amps through it?

Yes the integrated amp is through it that’s the thing being stifled a bit. Digital components and TV is good. 

Guest Mr Thorens
32 minutes ago, Hazzzy said:

Anything inside that might offer power surge protection?

I ask the dumb questions so that others don't.

Yes that’s seems to have the usual parts but I’m no expert in this. Has more filtering inside then the Isotek Polaris for example and you can hear it.

Guest Mr Thorens

Here’s the inside of Isotek Polaris for comparison. It has superior sockets each individually wired in. But less filtration (doesn’t have the iron cores) and also relies on PCB tracking therefore whilst reducing noise it also some softness in dynamics (not as much as the Thor). The effect on dynamics was the main thing I noticed when going to the Belkin 4000. Filtering just as effective, but very little loss of dynamics with the Belkin. 

8C3ED32E-F82C-4F80-AA91-2D5AE3584696.jpeg

92AFF7FA-EF55-4813-A336-BE8DF59589B1.jpeg

056CBA4A-125C-48C7-A81E-ADB5FE98A045.jpeg

I bought one when they were $70 and bought another when $30. I have a PS Audio Dectet, plus a couple of Bada LB-3300 Conditioners. My initial impression is the Thor in conjunction with quality Power Cables, does a reasonable job with CD Player and Pre-Amp. It's closer to the PS Audio Dectet in that it "smooths things over", but has a slightly "softer" presentation whereas the Bada is a more "Dynamic" conditioner. I havn't tried the Thor with any Power Amps, appears that it may not be as effective with Power amps from reports. Can say generally my best results are Source Components and Pre through Dectet and Power Amps through Bada. Like nearly everything in audio it's getting the Synergy "Right".

Intend to experiment a bit more with the Thor, when time permits, which will be a few weeks down the track.

Guest vagabond
14 hours ago, Spider27 said:

I was testing it by plugging everything on the board. 

Ta muchly.

Any noise on the line around my way isn't going to survive the big-arsed toroidal in the power amp, so I'll just do what Arthur says and plug it straight into the wall.

Guest Mr Thorens

Further testing today. As good as the Thor is at reducing noise from an overall perspective the Belkin Pro 4000 is superior on high current integrated amp. The $139 Belkin also is superior to the $700 Isotek Polaris as it cleans things up, opens up soundstage and unlike the Polaris doesn’t seem to crush dynamics. It’s a great buy. 

Thanks to this thread, just bought and received 2 of these power distributors.

At $30 each, was a no-brainer. It's even cheaper than those no-name power distributors you find in hardware stores.

Thank you for starting this thread!

• Like 1