Sign in to follow this  
Gregory13

MQA

Has anyone done some serious MQA listening to know the difference between MQA 24-bit and FLAC 24 bit?

I have attempted to do this in a semi-formal way.

The biggest problem is many/most MQA files on Tidal are different masters from those available as 24 bit downloads. It’s almost impossible to do a true comparison.

Personally I like the sound of MQA just as much as uncompressed files but MQA comes with a lot of baggage that I’m not willing to accept. 

I have. Conclusion: some MQA sound a bit better, some a little worse, some not very different. All in all, a bit like listening to a different master of the same album (which some are).  If you investigate, the whole "authenticated" thing is  bogus as is the "deblurring" claim. It's just marketing speak designed to reel in users and create a demand. 

Conclusion: What is it for? It doesn't solve any existing problem and is a proprietary format. Equipment producers have to pay large fees to MQA in order to add it in. At some point the consumer also pays for that. As far as I can see it adds nothing overall other than money to the pocket of MQA.  

So just give me hi-res flac. Open source and no one pays anything for it. 

On 11/08/2019 at 1:55 AM, Gregory13 said:

Has anyone done some serious MQA listening to know the difference between MQA 24-bit and FLAC 24 bit?

It really depends on what you do with each format.    It's possible to get just as good results with FLAC.

MQA could get the same results with less data .... and has "authentication" so you know you're getting what you're paying for .... and other fancy internet enabled type capabilities they could use later to make your sound better or worse, or keep their hand in your pocket.

Nobody should really expect MQA to sound generally better or generally worse... it will depend on the release, and it's unlikely you're going to be able to do an apples to apples comparison easily  (see comment from Mr Dent above)

The only MQA album I really enjoyed was the MQA CD version of Avalon. 

On 18/08/2019 at 8:44 PM, Sime said:

? As in Roxy Music album Avalon, (Bryan Ferry) ?

On 11/08/2019 at 1:55 AM, Gregory13 said:

As was pointed out earlier, comparing is difficult because different masters are often used. However, 2L samplers are from same master recordings

http://www.2l.no/hires/

There are people here who do like MQA but tend to be swamped by those who see it as a money grabbing exercise with its innate ability to take over the music chain and lock out other formats. I am in the latter camp...

On 18/08/2019 at 8:44 PM, Sime said:

Just went to listen to this on Tidal and was disappointed to see they just had the "normal" version and no Tidal Master version to be seen.  

I put it on anyway as I have not listened to Roxy in many (30+ ??) years and am enjoying it immensely - nostalgia.  Might play Flesh and Blood next as that was a favourite back in the day.

36 minutes ago, vgcr said:

Just went to listen to this on Tidal and was disappointed to see they just had the "normal" version and no Tidal Master version to be seen.  

I put it on anyway as I have not listened to Roxy in many (30+ ??) years and am enjoying it immensely - nostalgia.  Might play Flesh and Blood next as that was a favourite back in the day.

That’s because I’m literally talking about this album on CD but it’s an MQA CD from Japan. 

1 minute ago, Sime said:

That’s because I’m literally talking about this album on CD but it’s an MQA CD from Japan. 

yes understand that but thought perhaps Tidal might have had the MQA version as well.  Obviously not in this case - but with lots of other albums Tidal give you the choice to listen to normal "CD" or MQA.   I got Tidal after ECM relented and allowed streaming services to use their catalogue nearly two years back.  The Tidal Masters stuff is just a bonus for me.