Playback Issue - Help required

Morning Folks.

I'm just about at my wits end with my records.

When I play an album the first track plays fine, but towards the end and into the second track I get what I can describe as minor distortion and a "wobbly" or shuddering sound.  I take the stylus off and inspect it, it always looks clean under a coin/stamp micro-scope, but I clean it regardless, with 'System 11 CPR Cleaning Fluid' and a stylus brush, and play the second track.  The same thing happens again and again.

I always brush the stylus holding the vacuum nozzle very close before every play.  The same with the records; I skim them with a fanned cleaning brush, holding the vacuum nozzle very close before every spin.

I have cleaned many of my records with Monte Marte clear gel glue.  At first I thought the problem may have been residue left after skimping with the glue, not using enough to fully remove it with the peeling.

I have since re-glued one album, using enough glue to compensate for the first treatment.

Same problem.

I have played a new record that has not been glue cleaned, and it sounds terrible as well.

I am wondering if my stylus tip may be loose.

The said cleaning fluid was picked up many years ago, and I have no idea if it is intended for use on the stylus.  Reading the bottle, I notice that it is flammable and I'm now concerned that some solvent may have affected the stylus fitting.

Having written that, I have a generic piece of sh*t stylus that sounds bright and harsh.  I have tried it as well and the same problem.  I have used the cleaning fluid on it too, but not very often.

My next step is to set up my second turntable.  But, I only have one cart & stylus and have to swap it over.  I will do that tomorrow.

I am considering my options now and hunting for another second hand turntable in the $500-$600 price range.  Any recommendations there would be greatly appreciated.

But still, I would like to find out what my issue is, and what else I should look for or may have missed.

Please help.

Kind regards, Ant.

PS - I'm about to head into work for a double shift today.  I will be reading any feedback late tonight.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz

Difficult to say with so many variables but:

You should avoid cleaning a stylus with liquids. You might have some stubborn glue from your records attached to the stylus that you can't see under the microscope. Your tonearm might have developed a problem. May be your two styluses are worn out.

For that money I'll try a Technics SL1600, 1300, (early) 1200 may be a Thorens, there are too many models. Those are the ones I would go for but there are endless options that should give you good results. I would be very careful with the glue you use for cleaning use those things only as a last resouce.

Edited by Uglu

What is the turntable/arm/cartridge?

Could it be that your arm bearings are loose?

Morning Lads.

The TT is a Rotel - RP5300, the arm is unknown to me but an S-shape, with an OMB cart & Ortofon 10 with maybe 100 hours.

IMG_3260.JPG.e7431d36ed166ea4f85089a666906403.JPG

Not a high end TT by any stretch, it was actually picked up for free somewhere back down the road.

It played well for a few years after setting it up. 

I have an Optonica RP5200 as well, but think the Rotel sounds a little nicer.

I set up the TT's after watching "Very detailed TT setup for beginners" on Vinyl TV (youtube).

Will be watching that again today and setting up both from scratch.

I'm not very technically minded.  I would have no idea if the arm bearings are loose.

I didn't even think of setting up the arm properly again.  I have recently moved interstate, but the problem was noticed before the move.

After reading the replies here I have observed that the Anti-Skate is at the zero mark, fingers crossed that it may be as simple as that.

I deeply appreciate the input from everyone, another testament to the friendly and most helpful forum.  I do not engage in any other social media, this is THE ONE for me.

Regards & thankyou to all.

Ant.

Will get back to you later today.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 1

Guest Karl Rand

Just a guess but either the anti-scating is set incorrectly or using that liquid to clean the stylus has seen it migrate up the cantiliver and damage the suspension. I’d borrow a cartridge from somewhere ( I know, a hard ask). If the same problem persists then it’s probably not your cartridge but the arm bearings or something else. 

Hard to say at a distance but my instincts point to the arm bearings. On the other hand it could be BOTH the arm bearings and a damaged suspension. 

Edited by Karl Rand

@Uglu    @Addicted to music    @Citroen    @mikey d    @audiofeline    @Karl Rand

Thanks you one and all.

I have set up the tone arm and have good results so far.

It has raised another issue with one Phono channel output being weaker than the other, but I think that is Amp related.

Have just started another thread looking for suitable De-Ox spray for vintage equipment, as a first step in tackling this.  The Aux output is fine.

@metal beat - I'm searching on line for TT's.  Have spotted the Thorens TD-158, brand new for $690 - Any thoughts on this TT?

...or the Denon DP-300F, brand new for $649                             

Project Debut Carbon, brand new on special for $499

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

@Uglu    @Addicted to music    @Citroen    @mikey d    @audiofeline    @Karl Rand

Thanks you one and all.

I have set up the tone arm and have good results so far.

It has raised another issue with one Phono channel output being weaker than the other, but I think that is Amp related.

Have just started another thread looking for suitable De-Ox spray for vintage equipment, as a first step in tackling this.  The Aux output is fine.

@metal beat - I'm searching on line for TT's.  Have spotted the Thorens TD-158, brand new for $690 - Any thoughts on this TT?

While more money generally means you'll get something better, I am of the idea you don't need to spend a fortune to get nice sound.

At first glace I don't have anything against your Rotel other than it could have a problem with the arm. I do however have something against your cartridge. For a starter I just don't like that series at all and your model is one of the cheapest, plus presumably you don't know the history of it.

I think you should try a new cartridge. With regard of the Thorens, the brand has been around for ages and is a very popular one. However, I would not rush into buying the TD 158 for a large number of reasons but the main one is that you can see straight away it is a cheaply made TT and it is fully automatic. That in a cheap TT for me is a big no, no. 

I am sure for half that money you can pick up a much better second hand table. If it must be new then I would stay away from any automatic model. I think you should give a second chance to your Rotel with a new cartridge, search for a Nagaoka, Audio Technica or Denon that fits your budget, you'll probably need to spend between 150-350 on the cartridge alone but if after a new cartridge the Rotel is still no good you can use the cartridge in your next table.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

...I'm not very technically minded.  I would have no idea if the arm bearings are loose...

An explanation:  Loose arm bearings would be evident by being able to wobble the arm in areas that should be wobble-free, ie, around any area that should rotate freely and smoothly. 

Good to hear the anti-skate was the problem, and it was an easy fix.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

...It has raised another issue with one Phono channel output being weaker than the other, but I think that is Amp related...

Easy to check.  Swap the l+r phono leads plugged into the amp.  If the problem swaps speakers, the cause is in your turntable.  If the problem stays in the same speaker, it's your amp.

21 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

Easy to check.  Swap the l+r phono leads plugged into the amp.  If the problem swaps speakers, the cause is in your turntable.  If the problem stays in the same speaker, it's your amp.

Thanks mate.  Yeah, have done that and set up the second TT, same issue leads me to think it’s the Amp.

I think I will take the Rotel TT and the Amp in for servicing, way overdue for both.  

I have learned before that patience is required in this hobby, a virtue I easily forget at times.

Many thanks to all.

Ant.

• Like 1