Sign in to follow this  
Ralfi

UHD 4K/Atmos Set-up, v1.0

Hey people. I’ve just about completed a setup conversion from 1080p to 4K & today also tagged on some up-firing Atmos speakers.

Specs are in sig.

4C6B4E69-3C40-4F5F-B2A6-7822EDDF7E0E.thumb.jpeg.7d89d9261cbdd055a2574c2b3d2eb2b2.jpeg

2A2F1D3B-91CA-4B85-AD5D-4C49347F61B9.thumb.jpeg.081090a5fd19fc7eb889fd948249c1b5.jpeg04BF78C8-1A72-4E48-A9BA-005D649A3F2B.thumb.jpeg.8628a0c1ad7ad0797172b26906ff523f.jpeg953DD25A-3464-43EB-92A6-24B74404C58C.thumb.jpeg.7a5e4df5b3ea096d8d4cb8d56ac9c0cb.jpegEEBC3CA3-47EA-4C71-9087-B6D29E4A4B2B.thumb.jpeg.ddfba789dc928a8d00ae04f8a90faa05.jpeg0675C44E-5BB6-4882-8557-F035506256D4.thumb.jpeg.ddc9fe13ee2284cb8a6f55e7a3fb714a.jpegF2DD77C8-8155-4B67-8171-C60E0D18536B.thumb.jpeg.01768cc17a8f4950d32153438e2989ee.jpeg98840256-4B75-4339-9FA4-D8A31FDABE12.thumb.jpeg.fe890677baf5aeb13ffd9159a2a39358.jpegF9B2522B-074E-4432-8B11-CA1735FF7F0A.thumb.jpeg.73f77dae542bb0010830e9e994b931a6.jpeg

Nice one. 👍

How does it sound, are you happy with it?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pops110 said:

Nice one. 👍

How does it sound, are you happy with it?

Yes very happy. The upfiring speakers worked surprisingly well when watching that opening battle in Gladiator - the flying arrow effects were more prominent.

Are there any recommended Atmos demos available for download? I’d love to hear them!

1 hour ago, hopefullguy said:

time for a projector

Oh, it’s just too much for a lounge setup. Though, the photos do make the 65” look smaller than it is when seated - the 2nd last photo is closer to the mark 😏

Found a couple of great Atmos demos that I’ve just Airplayed to the Apple TV. Very impressed with the up-firing speakers.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-trailers.html

Edited by Ralfi

Very nice system. Did you consider using focal in ceiling speakers? 

On 09/08/2019 at 7:26 PM, Ralfi said:

Yes very happy. The upfiring speakers worked surprisingly well when watching that opening battle in Gladiator - the flying arrow effects were more prominent.

Are there any recommended Atmos demos available for download? I’d love to hear them!

Oh, it’s just too much for a lounge setup. Though, the photos do make the 65” look smaller than it is when seated - the 2nd last photo is closer to the mark 😏

Found a couple of great Atmos demos that I’ve just Airplayed to the Apple TV. Very impressed with the up-firing speakers.

Agree photos never do tv sizes justice, like the idea of the tv coming towards the seating position for movie watching, would add a few inches 👍🏽

1 hour ago, Irek said:

Very nice system. Did you consider using focal in ceiling speakers? 

Thanks, Irek.

If I do end up putting the ceiling speakers in, Focals would be on my list.

Have you used them yourself? & do you have a recommended model?

48 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Agree photos never do tv sizes justice, like the idea of the tv coming towards the seating position for movie watching, would add a few inches 👍🏽

Viewing distance is about 2.6m iirc, so it's pretty 'in your face'. 😏

Focal has many in ceiling options. Chorus, aria or electra 6.5inch would do the job nicely. 

On 11/08/2019 at 1:28 PM, Irek said:

Focal has many in ceiling options. Chorus, aria or electra 6.5inch would do the job nicely. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

I’m debating whether 2 or 4 ceiling speakers would suit such a room with little depth though.

Would it matter if the two rear ceiling speakers are behind my rear surrounds?

Also not sure if having rear ceiling speakers would collide with my already high rear surrounds (which can’t be moved), hence the thought of only using 2 ceiling speakers.

Related image

I was thinking about 2 holes in ceiling and 5.1.2. 

8 hours ago, Irek said:

Related image

I was thinking about 2 holes in ceiling and 5.1.2. 

Yeah I was looking at those on the Dolby website too.

Would having the 2 in-ceiling speakers take care of sounds moving behind the listener?

Looks like having them in the locations suggested would allow them to handle effects in front & behind?

Those in ceiling speakers are for what they call immersive object base surround sound. It all depends of movie. Alita or Ready Player One have pretty good effects. 

On 09/08/2019 at 7:26 PM, Ralfi said:

Assuming the up-firing speakers do work well?  Do they reflex the ambiance correctly?  I'm interested as ceiling speakers for me wont get the tick of approval..

5 hours ago, Porkbuns69 said:

Assuming the up-firing speakers do work well?  Do they reflex the ambiance correctly?  I'm interested as ceiling speakers for me wont get the tick of approval..

Hey there. Admittedly I’m no expert on Atmos, & don’t have anything to compare my up-firing speakers to as they’re my first attempt at creating Atmos effects. 

In saying that, I have noticed additional detail, but as to their positional accuracy, I doubt I’m getting the best from them because (a) they’re not proper “Atmos” speakers & (b) they’re not directly above the viewer.

22 hours ago, Porkbuns69 said:

I don't have up-firing speakers, but this Youtube vid might help with your question...

https://youtu.be/7GMjnazQ81E

You can basically ask someone to hold Atmos speakers above your head (maybe on stepladder) and do some testing. If you like to use Focal as up firing speakers than Domes have adjustable foot/bracket. BTW the best source for atmos sound is 4k Bluray.