Acoustic research ar9 vintage speakers

Guest Music monster

Guest Music monster

Hi everyone. I’m looking into buying a pair of acoustic research ar9 speakers from 1979. I have herd they are one of the best speakers ever to come from the 70s and still sound very good by today’s standards. I would appreciate any feedback from owners, or anyone who has herd a pair. Thanks cheers. Gary the music monster ?

I haven’t heard them but I believe that you will not be disappointed (saying that, an audition is important if you are seriously going to buy them) with them, I say this as I have heard their little brother ‘AR91’ and they were very nice.

How are you at re-foaming woofers? You have 4x12 inch woofers and 2x8 inch mid-woofers to consider (if you can’t do it then factor in $500-800 in professional help) an immediate or near future re-foam.

The 1.5 inch dome mid speaker can be costly to replace if it fails too.

Other than that I hope that you have the space and appropriate amp to drive them not to mention a strong friend (friends) to help you move them if you did pull the trigger.

Let your ears be the judge!

Guest Music monster

Thanks for reply. The refoams are abit of a problem , but apart from that they are still highly regarded. My hifi is no problem in driving them as I have a mcintosh system. Being 40 years old they could fail anytime if they weren’t cared for. Gary the music monster ?

The ARs are amazing. 

My dad has a pair of AR90s which are identical to the ar9s except they are a bit smaller with smaller bass drivers

I queried him on why he didn't go ar9s and he said the dealers said they weren't nessesary in an ordinary sized room. He said they would have to be in a large room to make a difference. 

The AR90s are still one of the nicest pair of speakers I have heard. Heaps of power and the music is so sweet through it. As I listened to stuff through it as a kid it was probably the cause of my audiophile obsession even today. 

My mum still has the pair after their divorce. I have seen good condition ar9s going for $3k on ebay. I'm sure mum would grt rid of them for a very good price and there is probably a driver that needs to be fixed on one of them but last time I checked they were working well. I haven't even listed it on the classifieds but if you are interested let me know. I'm in Sydney 

20190714_100916.jpg

20190714_100903.jpg

Guest Music monster
29 minutes ago, sandrews888 said:

The ARs are amazing. 

My dad has a pair of AR90s which are identical to the ar9s except they are a bit smaller with smaller bass drivers

I queried him on why he didn't go ar9s and he said the dealers said they weren't nessesary in an ordinary sized room. He said they would have to be in a large room to make a difference. 

The AR90s are still one of the nicest pair of speakers I have heard. Heaps of power and the music is so sweet through it. As I listened to stuff through it as a kid it was probably the cause of my audiophile obsession even today. 

My mum still has the pair after their divorce. I have seen good condition ar9s going for $3k on ebay. I'm sure mum would grt rid of them for a very good price and there is probably a driver that needs to be fixed on one of them but last time I checked they were working well. I haven't even listed it on the classifieds but if you are interested let me know. I'm in Sydney 

20190714_100916.jpg

20190714_100903.jpg

Thanks for info. I really want a pair of ar9 if I was gonna by and I am in Melbourne. I’m sure these 90s are very nice . Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster
2 minutes ago, 5L15 said:

Good luck, I hope it works out for you ??

Thanks mate I think I will by the pair on gumtree, there in excellent condition just fully serviced and come with the manual. Cheers gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

The deal didn’t go thru as the guy has no way of getting the speakers to me,and I cart pick them up.dont trust courier,these are fragile. Gary the music monster ?

S**T!

I was looking forward to pizza and beers at your joint.....................FARK...........

How far away were they from you? Couldn’t you take annual leave or long service leave or sick (cough cough) leave??

My condolences!

Guest Music monster
17 minutes ago, 5L15 said:

S**T!

I was looking forward to pizza and beers at your joint.....................FARK...........

How far away were they from you? Couldn’t you take annual leave or long service leave or sick (cough cough) leave??

My condolences!

It’s only 65km but I haven’t got anything to fit them in and don’t know anyone who has a van or truck. He offered them to me for $2500 a bargain. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster
3 minutes ago, 5L15 said:

Airtasker?? Get someone to assist, with a van for a fee...????

I will ring around tomorrow. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster
1 minute ago, 5L15 said:

When I wake up tomorrow, I’ll expect a miracle! ?

I’m hoping for the same. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

Speakers delayed,will be definitely delivered to me tomorrow afternoon. These ar9 will be my new vintage reference speakers.they are one of the very best speakers ever made in the late 70s.from what I have seeing on the web, they still sound very good even by today’s standards. We will c once I get to hear them.cheers. Gary the music monster ?

113FF18D-F1D3-4208-80AD-DB42191867DF.png

Edited by Music monster