Jump to content

Acoustic research ar9 vintage speakers


Recommended Posts

Guest Music monster

Hi everyone. I’m looking into buying a pair of acoustic research ar9 speakers from 1979. I have herd they are one of the best speakers ever to come from the 70s and still sound very good by today’s standards. I would appreciate any feedback from owners, or anyone who has herd a pair. Thanks cheers. Gary the music monster 🎶

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think he got banned.

Kennards rent out trailers and a large vans which would easily gobble up those small speakers 🤙 just a thought.    

You devil, very nice Gary TMM...

I haven’t heard them but I believe that you will not be disappointed (saying that, an audition is important if you are seriously going to buy them) with them, I say this as I have heard their little brother ‘AR91’ and they were very nice.

How are you at re-foaming woofers? You have 4x12 inch woofers and 2x8 inch mid-woofers to consider (if you can’t do it then factor in $500-800 in professional help) an immediate or near future re-foam.

The 1.5 inch dome mid speaker can be costly to replace if it fails too.

 

Other than that I hope that you have the space and appropriate amp to drive them not to mention a strong friend (friends) to help you move them if you did pull the trigger.

Let your ears be the judge!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Music monster

Thanks for reply. The refoams are abit of a problem , but apart from that they are still highly regarded. My hifi is no problem in driving them as I have a mcintosh system. Being 40 years old they could fail anytime if they weren’t cared for. Gary the music monster 🎶

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The ARs are amazing. 

 

My dad has a pair of AR90s which are identical to the ar9s except they are a bit smaller with smaller bass drivers

 

I queried him on why he didn't go ar9s and he said the dealers said they weren't nessesary in an ordinary sized room. He said they would have to be in a large room to make a difference. 

 

The AR90s are still one of the nicest pair of speakers I have heard. Heaps of power and the music is so sweet through it. As I listened to stuff through it as a kid it was probably the cause of my audiophile obsession even today. 

 

My mum still has the pair after their divorce. I have seen good condition ar9s going for $3k on ebay. I'm sure mum would grt rid of them for a very good price and there is probably a driver that needs to be fixed on one of them but last time I checked they were working well. I haven't even listed it on the classifieds but if you are interested let me know. I'm in Sydney 

20190714_100916.jpg

20190714_100903.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites


Guest Music monster
29 minutes ago, sandrews888 said:

The ARs are amazing. 

 

My dad has a pair of AR90s which are identical to the ar9s except they are a bit smaller with smaller bass drivers

 

I queried him on why he didn't go ar9s and he said the dealers said they weren't nessesary in an ordinary sized room. He said they would have to be in a large room to make a difference. 

 

The AR90s are still one of the nicest pair of speakers I have heard. Heaps of power and the music is so sweet through it. As I listened to stuff through it as a kid it was probably the cause of my audiophile obsession even today. 

 

My mum still has the pair after their divorce. I have seen good condition ar9s going for $3k on ebay. I'm sure mum would grt rid of them for a very good price and there is probably a driver that needs to be fixed on one of them but last time I checked they were working well. I haven't even listed it on the classifieds but if you are interested let me know. I'm in Sydney 

20190714_100916.jpg

20190714_100903.jpg

Thanks for info. I really want a pair of ar9 if I was gonna by and I am in Melbourne. I’m sure these 90s are very nice . Gary the music monster 🎶

Link to post
Share on other sites


Guest Music monster
2 minutes ago, 5L15 said:

Good luck, I hope it works out for you 👍🏻

Thanks mate I think I will by the pair on gumtree, there in excellent condition just fully serviced and come with the manual. Cheers gary the music monster 🎶

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Music monster

The deal didn’t go thru as the guy has no way of getting the speakers to me,and I cart pick them up.dont trust courier,these are fragile. Gary the music monster 🎶

Link to post
Share on other sites

S**T!

I was looking forward to pizza and beers at your joint.....................FARK...........

How far away were they from you? Couldn’t you take annual leave or long service leave or sick (cough cough) leave??

 

My condolences!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Music monster
17 minutes ago, 5L15 said:

S**T!

I was looking forward to pizza and beers at your joint.....................FARK...........

How far away were they from you? Couldn’t you take annual leave or long service leave or sick (cough cough) leave??

 

My condolences!

 It’s only 65km but I haven’t got anything to fit them in and don’t know anyone who has a van or truck. He offered them to me for $2500 a bargain. Gary the music monster 🎶

Link to post
Share on other sites


Kennards rent out trailers and a large vans which would easily gobble up those small speakers 🤙 just a thought.

 

 

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Airtasker?? Get someone to assist, with a van for a fee...????

Edited by 5L15
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Music monster
3 minutes ago, 5L15 said:

Airtasker?? Get someone to assist, with a van for a fee...????

I will ring around tomorrow. Gary the music monster 🎶

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Music monster said:

I will ring around tomorrow. Gary the music monster 🎶

Good man! 👍

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


12 minutes ago, Music monster said:

Yes definitely will. Gary the music monster 🎶

When I wake up tomorrow, I’ll expect a miracle! 👀

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Music monster
1 minute ago, 5L15 said:

When I wake up tomorrow, I’ll expect a miracle! 👀

I’m hoping for the same. Gary the music monster 🎶

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Music monster

Speakers delayed,will be definitely delivered to me tomorrow afternoon. These ar9 will be my new vintage reference speakers.they are one of the very best speakers ever made in the late 70s.from what I have seeing on the web, they still sound very good even by today’s standards. We will c once I get to hear them.cheers. Gary the music monster 🎶

113FF18D-F1D3-4208-80AD-DB42191867DF.png

Edited by Music monster
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Music monster

Agree. There’s something about the sound of some of the best speakers from the 70s that I find very enjoyable and entertaining to listen to.gary the music monster 🎶

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Music monster said:

Speakers delayed,will be definitely delivered to me tomorrow afternoon. These ar9 will be my new vintage reference speakers.they are one of the very best speakers ever made in the late 70s.from what I have seeing on the web, they still sound very good even by today’s standards. We will c once I get to hear them.cheers. Gary the music monster 🎶

113FF18D-F1D3-4208-80AD-DB42191867DF.png

These are on my wish list to listen to. Unfortunately they just don’t come up for sale very often and don’t know anybody who owns a set.🤔

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Speakers delayed,will be definitely delivered to me tomorrow afternoon. These ar9 will be my new vintage reference speakers.they are one of the very best speakers ever made in the late 70s.from what I have seeing on the web, they still sound very good even by today’s standards. We will c once I get to hear them.cheers. Gary the music monster [emoji445]
113FF18D-F1D3-4208-80AD-DB42191867DF.thumb.png.60345968388945f08769965894a95598.png

Beautiful bastards they are. Never seen such large speakers from that vintage!
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Music monster

These ar9 cost me $2500 and just had a full service done on them for $390 from the owner. They generally go for around $3000 or more. They are in excellent condition as well. I sold of my two pair of gale gs401c to buy these as my new vintage reference. Cheers gary the music monster 🎶

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Music monster

They also come with original owners manual and date of purchase from Douglas hifi in Melbourne 1979. Gary the music monster 🎶

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Music monster said:

They also come with original owners manual and date of purchase from Douglas hifi in Melbourne 1979. Gary the music monster 🎶

Very cool indeed 😎

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Music monster said:

Speakers delayed,will be definitely delivered to me tomorrow afternoon. These ar9 will be my new vintage reference speakers.they are one of the very best speakers ever made in the late 70s.from what I have seeing on the web, they still sound very good even by today’s standards. We will c once I get to hear them.cheers. Gary the music monster 🎶

113FF18D-F1D3-4208-80AD-DB42191867DF.png

You devil, very nice Gary TMM...:thumb:

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Music monster
19 minutes ago, Mendes said:

You devil, very nice Gary TMM...:thumb:

Always wanted a pair of these, being the best speakers acoustic Research ever made. 2 side fireing 12 inch woofers in each speaker takes bass down to a flat 28 hz. A 8 inch midrange driver, a 2.5 inch upper midrange gives a very rich midrange and  a three quarter inch tweeter delivers clean high frequencies so I am told. Not often for sale as peter mentioned, original owners are holding on to them. I hope they are exactly what I am after.Gary the music monster 🎶

D14DB9B9-782A-49E3-B4F0-CAE37ADB77E0.png

372CB18F-5137-4A5C-9CD0-6038401DBA51.png

8ADD3860-AFFE-41AC-9A68-414EE06213B7.png

C059B818-B976-4120-AD66-81A0851911EE.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Music monster

Just had them delivered. They are in excellent condition. Manual and spare tweeter included.I’m a happy Chappy. Gary the music monster 🎶

 

 

Edited by Music monster
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Music monster

In the 50 page manual the actual purchase date and place is written in by the original owner. I wish it had the purchase price as well. If anyone knows what the rrp was in Australia in 1978 I would love to know. Gary the music monster 🎶

 

Edited by Music monster
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Music monster
1 minute ago, Ahh- Schnoo Schnoo said:

Congratulations Gary  👍

Interested in your listening impressions

Thanks. As soon as I get to listen to them I will let everyone know how they sound. Cheers . Gary the music monster 🎶

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done mate. Love the top end vintage speakers. AR, Infinity, Polk, Klipsch, JBL. So many desirable speakers from that era. I’m sure you’ll love the full range goodness from these beasts. M

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...