New Music on CD/SACD

Plus one on the sa10 from me.

it was a big jump up from my Yamaha cds2100 - great with SACD , but for me it bring some new to redbook cd. 

But you can find either cheaper models or second hand models which will also provide the benefits of SACD. 

Edited by cafe67
  • Like 1

On 16/08/2019 at 11:42 AM, allthumbs said:

I'll probably get howled down by the CD player police but I run my SACD's through my Pioneer BDP (Coax out) that supports DSD and SACD via my Topping DAC and the results are very good.  Might be an avenue you could explore?

I'm not making a recommendation, just suggesting an idea.

Are you saying your Pioneer BDP is able to output dsd via its coaxial out into the Topping Dac?

2 hours ago, jeromelang said:

Are you saying your Pioneer BDP is able to output dsd via its coaxial out into the Topping Dac?

I should clarify, according to the manual DSD is supported from what I have read on the net it is only via the USB connector.  Unfortunately I can't seem to get that to work.  There is a lot of info on the net (too much) and I am trying half-heartedly to work my way through it, but the general consensus the BDP-170 does (should) work.

So at the moment I am limited to playing SACD via the co-ax cable.  Still with nice results.

1 minute ago, allthumbs said:

I should clarify, according to the manual DSD is supported from what I have read on the net it is only via the USB connector.  Unfortunately I can't seem to get that to work.  There is a lot of info on the net (too much) and I am trying half-heartedly to work my way through it, but the general consensus the BDP-170 does (should) work.

So at the moment I am limited to playing SACD via the co-ax cable.  Still with nice results.

the BDP-170's claim to fame is that it can rip SACD to DSD files (over network and PC)

I don't think it can digitally output DSD except over HDMI. It's probably reading the redbook layer to output over coax . 

But I could be wrong (I have the BDP-160)

28 minutes ago, sakabatou said:

But I could be wrong (I have the BDP-160)

@sakabatou I think you are entirely correct, and I certainly got the wrong end of the stick.  So I looked up ripping SACD to DSD files and knew right away that is not for me, life is too short.  Still like SACD on the Pioneer though. Cheers for the clarification.

• Like 1

If you are playing a hybrid sacd disc and you are able to get audio out via coaxial into the Topping Dac, it only mean 1 thing - the player is reading the pcm layer, not the dsd layer.

To listen to sacd you will need to set your player to read the dsd layer, and you will need to connect the pioneer bdp170's analog audio output into your amplifier.

Edited by jeromelang
  • Like 1

On 05/09/2019 at 1:58 AM, 075Congo said:

For that sort of money I would also look very carefully at the Esoteric SACD player range. I have moved through the K-07X to my current K-05Xs SACD player and the performance level of these players is phenomenal. The disc drawer design and function is unlike anything I have used and a must-look at!

Hello!

I tried last week the Esoteric K05xs and the Marantz Ruby (it's not SA10, but close). The equipment was a Unison S9 tube amp and Klipsch Forte III speakers. Listening SACD the difference was noticeable, but spinning redbook it was humiliating for the Ruby. I've never thought that a cd could sound like that.
I thought that Esoteric it would be cold, too much analytic, but maybe for the tubes, maybe for the Klipsch it wasn't. 10k.... (snif...)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/08/2019 at 1:13 PM, Guest Music monster said:

I believe so. It’s more for very high quality systems. You might hear a slight difference on any system, but with a system around 100k plus the difference will be night and day. Decide for yourself wether it’s worth getting one. Gary the music monster ?

Err.....100k??

Try 8k.....and yes, the difference is profound.?