Fleetwood Mac vinyl re-issue

I was listening to the SACD to track 3, and heard different things on the multi-channel version (other instruments and ad-libs). Played the stereo version, and the track was as I recalled.

Anyone know anything about this?

Benje

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries. I don't have the German pressing and I'm guessing it's a light weight. I just have the original and the US, pressed in the EU 33 & 45rpm copies. I'd be surprised if it could sound any better than the latter, but I have been surprised before.

I think the Nautilus Superdisc version eclipses the 45 RPM re-isse, although it is close. The 45 RPM version is as good as re-issues can get, I think.

I was listening to the SACD to track 3, and heard different things on the multi-channel version (other instruments and ad-libs). Played the stereo version, and the track was as I recalled.

Anyone know anything about this?

Benje

I got an answer on AVS, referencing back to 2000 when the dvd-audio was first released in multi-channel. The critical part of the article is copied below. The link is also below. Glad to know I wasn't hearing things....

Oh, and Darthlaker, I can play the 5.1 and gett the receiver to remix it as stereo if you want to hear the electric guitar ad-lib as well - I know you won't listen to the 5.1. LOL

"The most notable difference is on the song Never Going Back Again. The song originally was called Brushes and consisted of just Lindsay Buckingham's acoustic guitar and backup vocal harmony, a short electric guitar solo and soft drumming by Fleetwood. But when it was mixed into two-channel stereo for the original release, the group felt the drums and electric guitar were intrusive. So listeners just heard voice and acoustic guitar, and the name was changed.

But isn't that like repainting the Mona Lisa in a different position or recutting Star Wars with different camera angles? ''The listener has the choice of listening to either version, both of which are on the DVD,'' Fleetwood says.

''The original mix was an artistic decision based on a technical reason,'' he says. ''This is our way of having fun with the new format. The integrity of the work is still there. Hopefully, fans will find that we're in satisfactory command of our faculties.''

http://fleetwoodmac-uk.com/articles/FMart2.htm

Benje

• 5 weeks later...