Fleetwood Mac vinyl re-issue

From SHTV.

This doesn't mean it is crap necessarily, but probably as GZ is rumoured to be the source. Let us know how you go Paul.

Also, from someone else...

Looks like some poor preparation from me. Should have read all that first shouldnt I. Still, it looks like a bit of a lottery so we will see what shows up.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figure I'll take my chances with the pressing which comes from Canada. Is the US pressing really going to be that much better?

DS

David,

Did you order the 33 or 45? This re-issue is such a balls up! All 33's were mastered by Hoffman but only the US version of the 45 is, the EU 45 was not and apparently sounds inferior. So worth hunting an SH 45 or just stay with the 33.

Cheers,

mondie

What's GZ?

Cheers

M

Vinyl pressing plant GZ digital media in the Czech republic of dubious quality as far as source of their LP's go. They also use a softer vinyl compound to normal which IMO will have effects on the vinyl's long term playability. They are the cheapest in Europe.

Just ordered the 33 1/3 version of Rumours from Acoustic Sounds along with the 180 gm version Of Dire Straits Making Movies.

Meaning to get another copy of Rumours for a while as original second hand copy is beyond redemption - this thread prompted me and gave me a good source & very reasonable price.

So ta to all posters.:thumb:

Just ordered the 33 1/3 version of Rumours from Acoustic Sounds along with the 180 gm version Of Dire Straits Making Movies.

Meaning to get another copy of Rumours for a while as original second hand copy is beyond redemption - this thread prompted me and gave me a good source & very reasonable price.

So ta to all posters.:thumb:

Have you checked out Roots Records at Bellingen? My inlaws live at Repton so its nice to have a vinyl store to escape to when visiting :confused:

No I didn't know it was there so thanks. Thought the only vinyl round here was second hand & much of it unlisten or unplayable. I visit Bellingen on a regular basis with work. So will have to coincide it with lunch & give the store a visit. Something else to look forward to after getting back to the daily grind.

cheers.

Mine arrived at work today too, won't open the package until I get it home. Likely to be EU edition as I ordered from Amazon Canada. Looking forward (well, maybe not actually) to your comparison Stump. I am not so much of a Fleetwood Mac fan that I will chase the US edition, but I do want to know if there really is a big difference.

DS

I got my copy from Acoustic Sounds (it was delivered to my work a week ago but had been on vacation).

My back cover has Made in USA printed on it. When I get home, I shall check for the KG/SH in the dead wax. Apparently the EU copies will have Made in EU printed on the back cover.

Gave the EU 45 a spin last night and the overall pressing quality sounds ok.The instrument placement sounded a bit muddy on the first couple of tracks but after a couple of plays you get use to it.When the Steve Hoffman copy arrives Ill get a couple of people over to do the A/B as my ears may be missing something.

Cheers Eamonn

Gave the EU 45 a spin last night and the overall pressing quality sounds ok.The instrument placement sounded a bit muddy on the first couple of tracks but after a couple of plays you get use to it.When the Steve Hoffman copy arrives Ill get a couple of people over to do the A/B as my ears may be missing something.

Cheers Eamonn

l dont think you are missing anything Eamonn, seems the EU pressing is pretty shite. The SH 45rpm is as good as the hype, the difference will smack you between the eyes, no need for an A/B

It will be worth it Mack. The 45rpm pressing is sublime, SH's mastering results in stupendous bass and highlights just how great LB's guitar work is on this album giving it a whole new life. The vocals are showing some signs of age on the mastertapes l reckon but it is still a must have album. How many top 10 best selling albums ever receive such a royal treatment as this!

It is amazing. I've only heard the Dr Robert 96/24 rip but it is a treat. The bass response blows me away. Beautiful imaging. Yet to do an A/B with the DVD-A and rip but I'm thinking from memory the DVD-A is more compressed. I don't think any of you who've ordered the US 2x45 180g will regret it one bit.

Ben

I've canceled my Amazon order for this as I just don't want anything but the US Hoffman pressing. So I've backordered via AS for considerably more.

Now the wait...

Cheers

M

I've left my Amazon preorder open at the minute, but have backordered through SoundStage Direct to hopefully cover my bases. Sound Direct were charging US $44.99 which I think is reasonable seeing how pricey it seems to have become.

Before placing my preorder with SoundStage Direct I emailed them, and was told that they were expecting to get the Hoffman mix from Warners.

Chris

Edited by soundfan

It seems I got the last one of the first allotment from ED.

So I've bought myself another copy as well as 33 & a bit from music Direct, thanks for the links.

So how many were made??

on eBay I've read

4,000 units WORLD WIDE. and LTD ED 4000 as well as

NOTE: This Audiophile Edition 45 RPM Pressing Will Only Be Pressed ONCE. Limited to 5000 Copies World-Wide. !

ED state

• Limited to 3,500 copies in the U.S.

Music direct state

Limited to 5000 Copies World-Wide.

So about 5000 worldwide and out of that 3500 for the US and 1500 for the rest of the world, who knows. Thank goodness for the net.

It's not the pressing that's an issue, it's a different mix and master.

I figure I'll take my chances with the pressing which comes from Canada. Is the US pressing really going to be that much better?

DS

Edited by HumanMedia

It seems I got the last one of the first allotment from ED.

So I've bought myself another copy as well as 33 & a bit from music Direct, thanks for the links.

So how many were made??

on eBay I've read

4,000 units WORLD WIDE. and LTD ED 4000 as well as

NOTE: This Audiophile Edition 45 RPM Pressing Will Only Be Pressed ONCE. Limited to 5000 Copies World-Wide. !

ED state

• Limited to 3,500 copies in the U.S.

Music direct state

Limited to 5000 Copies World-Wide.

So about 5000 worldwide and out of that 3500 for the US and 1500 for the rest of the world, who knows. Thank goodness for the net.

So the rest of the world gets discriminated against. Once again US business is a class act. Not to mention that they keep the Hoffman masters for the US and the crappy Euro masters for the rest of the world. Is it me, or is this whole process a piece of discriminatory shyte? I think I'll pass on this, just based on principle alone.

Dave

I listened to the European pressing I got. I must say the mix is very good, detailed punchy and lively. Pretty bloody good actually. The only problem I have is with the pressing, a bit noisy between tracks although mainly on sides 1 and 3. US mix would have to be amazing to be much better than this.

DS