genkifd

Speaker Recommendations around $20k Aud

39 minutes ago, Music monster said:

The same except a slightly better tweeter. Gary the music monster 🎶

so which has the better tweeter? which is the newer model?

horn speakers are suppose to be very forward sounding.

Guest Music monster
Just now, genkifd said:

horn speakers are suppose to be very forward sounding.

The latest model has the slightly better tweeters.klipsch are forward but in a smooth and musical way especially with tube amplifiers. Gary the music monster 🎶

Guest Music monster

Some people still perfer the sound of the 70s and 80s klipsch to the new and more modern ones.not that much has changed except for better looks. Gary the music monster 🎶

Guest Karl Rand

Not a single recommmendation for an Australian speaker? 

Guest Music monster

Kyron audio but to expensive. Gary the music monster 🎶

If I had 20k to spend on speakers, I'd be having a chat to Stuart Ralston @SGR Audio,  Rod Crawford @legend speakers, and Greg Osborn @Osborne speakers. 

Only international brand I would consider (if I had the coin) would be some TAD reference models, bit over budget, geez the sounded alright at a show few years ago when Andrew Jones was affiliated with them. 

Red Spade, Equinox. others to consider, don't know if they do equivalent to 20k.

My 2c

Guest Music monster
3 minutes ago, mattd2308 said:

If I had 20k to spend on speakers, I'd be having a chat to Stuart Ralston @SGR Audio,  Rod Crawford @legend speakers, and Greg Osborn @Osborne speakers. 

Only international brand I would consider (if I had the coin) would be some TAD reference models, bit over budget, geez the sounded alright at a show few years ago when Andrew Jones was affiliated with them. 

Red Spade, Equinox. others to consider, don't know if they do equivalent to 20k.

My 2c

I wouldn’t consider any of the above,that’s just my personal opinion. Gary the music monster 

Guest Karl Rand
51 minutes ago, Music monster said:

I wouldn’t consider any of the above,that’s just my personal opinion. Gary the music monster 

Please tell us why if you can.

The only objection I can see to Rod Crawords designs is they rely to a large extent on digital processing of the signal . Not something everyone is comforable with. I also percieve a problem, often unstated, in this context. Even if some Australian speakers can match the performance of the imported crowd the fact they are significantly cheaper often prevents potential buyers from even considering them. On the other hand it is hard to believe any local or NZ company can begin to match the research resources of a company such as B & W. 

im pretty open to speaker designs and where they come from.

next is to try some Klipsch Horns and see if i like the sound.

Guest Music monster
6 minutes ago, Karl Rand said:

Please tell us why if you can.

The only objection I can see to Rod Crawords designs is they rely to a large extent on digital processing of the signal . Not something everyone is comforable with. I also percieve a problem, often unstated, in this context. Even if some Australian speakers can match the performance of the imported crowd the fact they are significantly cheaper often prevents potential buyers from even considering them. On the other hand it is hard to believe any local or NZ company can begin to match the research resources of a company such as B & W. 

I just don’t like the sound of any of them.i have herd these brands many times and I just didn’t care for the sound they had. I like horns and planer ribbon speakers.gary the music monster 🎶

1 hour ago, mattd2308 said:

My 2c

I recently went on a hunt for similarly priced speakers. Listened to Greg's remaining pair of Osborn Monument Reference Elite ($26k from memory) and Stu's SGR CX4F ($33k), these two speakers are superb and world class, but what really caught my attention were the Hulgich Duke ($18k), cheaper and better than both. Between the Osborn and Stu, I found the Osborn more enjoyable, and SGR more realistic, I was really split between the two. But after hearing the Duke my choice was easy, it had the best of both worlds.

The Harbeth 40.2 is a good speaker, but they really cannot compete with - pretty much any - reputable Aussie speakers at the same price.

Guest Music monster
4 minutes ago, Standards said:

I recently went on a hunt for similarly priced speakers. Listened to Greg's remaining pair of Osborn Monument Reference Elite ($26k from memory) and Stu's SGR CX4F ($33k), these two speakers are superb and world class, but what really caught my attention were the Hulgich Duke ($18k), cheaper and better than both. Between the Osborn and Stu, I found the Osborn more enjoyable, and SGR more realistic, I was really split between the two. But after hearing the Duke my choice was easy, it had the best of both worlds.

The Harbeth 40.2 is a good speaker, but they really cannot compete with - pretty much any - reputable Aussie speakers at the same price.

Agree the Harbeths are not worth there asking price. Gary the music monster 🎶

Guest Music monster
1 hour ago, genkifd said:

im pretty open to speaker designs and where they come from.

next is to try some Klipsch Horns and see if i like the sound.

Hope you like the klipsch. I absolutely love them. Gary the music monster 🎶

38 minutes ago, Standards said:

Right on the "money"! 😉

As an owner of the Hulgichs,  for under $20k really worth auditioning - good to support local manufacturers too plus after sales service is 2nd to none!

Nick Hulgich is actually demoing the Dukes at the next Melbourne audio club meeting on Wednesday night , 21st August.

I will be going along and recommend popping in and having a listen.

There is a local guy , (Ilya) who is representing Hulgich in Melbourne who I'm sure would be happy to help with queries etc.