Speaker Recommendations around $20k Aud

33 minutes ago, Music monster said:

I herd Yamaha speakers many times including the ns5000, and they are a big disappointment. This isn’t a Yamaha thread so let’s stop talking about them. Gary the music monster ?

OK so you don't like them, fair enough, however.

1. That doesn't mean others won't like them.

2. I agree that this isn't exclusively a Yamaha thread, but neither is it a Magnepan thread or any other brand thread and there isn't any issue with suggesting any speaker which fits the price criteria in a thread title which requests suggestions.

3. It is important in threads such as this, not to presume what somebody else will like and push one's own pet brand while demonising another brand. A group of suggestions is the requirement here so that the OP can make an informed choice by way of auditioning as many speakers as is practically possible, especially with a $20K budget.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, genkifd said:

guys i appreciate everyone's help and comments. no need to bicker. IMO many of you guys have vast more experience than myself. i just need a nudge in the right direction. 

Don't stress mate, threads ebb and flow

Bear in mind there are also other less experienced people (like me) that are looking for ideas and info too.

Trying to stifle discussion is not what this site is about. 

2 hours ago, deanB said:

Just perusing the Newport Labs measurements, definitely potential for valve amplification. Manley Labs set up their amps for 5ohm speaker impedance, thats right in the NS5000' wheelhouse. 

If you end up with the Ns5000 I’m sure I can gather a small posse in Perth to help carry and open the box for you and lugg some spare NS1000 laying around for a decent shootout plus mow the lawn and wash the car for you ?

Edited by Al.M

1 hour ago, genkifd said:

by you saying they aint musical - do you have prior experiences with Nick's speakers? just asking

I didn't say they aren't musical, I said they aren't warm. Musical is subjective, to me warm speakers are not "high fidelity" because they are less faithful to the original recording than a speaker that is neutral, that's just my opinion.

And yes I have prior experiences with Nick's speakers, I have a pair coming before Christmas. I'm the one from a few pages ago that auditioned all over for a year until arriving at the Dukes, I flew to Adelaide with my family and spent 2 days at Nick's home listening to them. They beat out a long list of very reputable speakers, I was surprised, especially they are priced much lower than my initial budget.

Every manufacturer will tell you their speakers are the best in the world. Just like how Nick told me his Duke speakers have the best presentation of any speakers at any price point, but in the case of the Duke speakers, I tend to agree. I can only hope you'll enjoy the Dukes as much as I did.

1 hour ago, genkifd said:

R U sure cause he told me he was.

You told me he wasn't a few ages ago, but I'm glad you cleared that up.

• Like 1

I may have missed it but don’t think we know what the OP’s room is like (size, seated stereo position, acoustics) because while the speaker choice is important, the room maketh any speaker warm, cold or fuzzy no matter how one wishes it to be.

You get warm speaker in a warm sounding room and have a runaway greenhouse effect, cold speaker in cold sounding room and then an ice age, warm + cold or reverse = potential bliss. Other issues like too small a room with a big speaker or the reverse can cause issues for speaker choices.

The above issues will be plaguing you with every different speaker in different showrooms, and even with the same speaker in different rooms, so it won’t be apples vs apples. It would be good to understand this when auditioning.

Edited by Al.M

46 minutes ago, Al.M said:

If you end up with the Ns5000 I’m sure I can gather a small posse in Perth to help carry and open the box for you and lugg some spare NS1000 laying around for a decent shootout plus mow the lawn and wash the car for you ?

Perth posse is the best posse. 

Recent example, of same speaker sounding so different in different rooms is a VAF I66, which I had 15 years ago in a larger room and I thought is was merely Ok good but lacked bass, thin sounding and cold so I sold it.

Acquired another pair of VAF I66 a few months ago this time in a smaller room and my sound experience completely different, much more bass, warm sound, musicality, great tone, incredible focussed midrange, imaging and sweet highs. I now rate this speaker in the top 5  of my experience. It uses some of Seas drivers speaker manufacturers top line expensive Excell magnesium cone midrange units with decent tweeter and 8 inch paper cone woofer in solid cabinet and Australian made.

96394EAF-6E5B-45DE-A713-72E492E6FA4E.jpeg

8 hours ago, Music monster said:

Genkifd try to get an audition of the speakers that sound best in the show room at your home, or you might end up being disappointed.they will certainly sound different than the show rooms acoustics. Gary the music monster ?

not a good idea for my situation. as im purchasing this system for my new home moving in mid next year. so auditioning in my home now is pointless

6 hours ago, murrmax said:

I'd recommend going active then you can tweak the sound to what YOU like and you room, spend some money on treating your room too - something most people overlook but as important as the speaker itself

Active - im auditioning a couple of speakers very soon. but im not a big fan of DSP. i know it can do wonders but also do the opposite. room treatment is extremely important. this is why many rooms (shows) speaker sound  dull and flat / lifeless.