Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kensai45

JCW Mini Hatch vs BMW 220i

Guest Kensai45

Hey Team, Just wondering if anyone has driven both of this for a relatively long period of time and have any opinion?

I've test driven both, but 30 minutes I don't think is enough to tell me whether living with one is worth it.

JCW will smoke the 220i all day every day.  170kw versus 135.  I work for BMW and have driven both at length so I feel I'm qualified to comment.

Two completely different types of cars, so comparing them is an interesting question.  Do you want a comfortable stylish cruiser (220i), or a pocket rocket? (JCW).

The fuel consumption on the JCW Mini is appalling, at best.  Throw whatever claimed figures at the wall, they're bullshit.  If you drive it in any kind of spirited fashion, expect 350-400km per tank.  220i wins this test hands down.

I took a JCW to the gold coast scenic rim for a weekend and had a grin from ear to ear.  The handling is absolutely superb and point to point, for the money there's not much quicker you can buy.  As a daily driver though I'd pass, this would be a weekend toy.  Fuel consumption too crap, exhaust drone would get a bit much after a while, and the rides too firm even in comfort setting.

If you can live with a diesel, the 220D actually drives much better than the petrol.  Reason is simple, far more low down torque.  It's far easier to kick out the tail with the diesel engine versus the petrol, although both are willing if asked.  

To conclude, the choice is entirely up to you.  If the JCW wins, hold out for a few more months until the next model is released.  170kw jumps to 220kw (although it's much much more expensive) - and I'm pretty sure they're going down the awd path.  This will also mean the current F56 will be on runout so could be some tempting deals around.

220i or D is a fine daily driver, if a little plain.  You're constantly reminded it's a 2 series.  This means manual seat adjustment, lots of hard plastic and unless you go silly with the options list, the standard features are pretty frugal.  Buy a demo - premium selection, if you can find one.  

Guest Kensai45

Thanks, I'll inform my friend, the big x-factor for her was that the 220i came in Manual. Do you know if Mini do something like holden where you pay a deposit of $750 and can drive the car for 24 hours?

You can get a 6 speed manual JCW, no problems there.  Might be a lengthy wait if there's no stock onshore though.

As for a 24hr test drive, most Mini dealerships would be more than happy to oblige.

Have you also considered a Cooper S JCW pack?  You'll save a bucketload, they're HEAPS of fun to drive, yes you can get a manual as per above, and they have all the cosmetic bits of the JCW so they look the part.  The only real caveat is a slightly less powerful engine.

As a daily driver, yes I'd take a Cooper S all day.

Guest Kensai45

Not my call, I can barely afford my bills at the moment lol. I know my friend drove a Clubman as her previous daily but this was quite sometime ago. 

I appreciate the input Iano. Thanks for your time. 

Too expensive.  Buy an M140i while you still can.  Just as quick, more practical.