Thorens TD166 mk2 cartridges?

I have a Thorens TD-166 mk2 with a TP-11 mk3 arm and a TP-63 wand. I am looking to upgrade my Linn K9 cartridge, and I am looking for some suggestions for a MM cartridge in the $100 range or below.

As far as I am aware, the TP-11 mk3 arm has a very low arm mass, so it needs a very high compliance cartridge.

The headshell appears to screw on from the bottom, so I was worried that a lot of cartridge options would be limited by this.

Any suggestions for a decent cartridge in the $100 range or below? Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

The Audio Technica AT95E is an outstanding performer for the money.  

Thanks Peter_F. I have heard that the AT95E is a good cartridge.

However, to the best of my knowledge, the AT95E is very similar to the Linn K9, and would not be much of an upgrade. Is this true?

Also, I have also heard that the AT95E is a medium compliance cartridge, and would be too light for my TP-11 mk3 arm, which would be best with a high compliance one. 

Guest Misterioso

If you are looking for a true upgrade, maybe split the funds between cartridge and phono stage differently. One of the Graham Slee (solid state) MM phono stages, for example, would leave more funds for the cartridge. I have heard the AT150MLX with a low mass TP-16 mk III tonearm (Thorens TD 126 mk III) and it was sublime. While this cartridge has been discontinued, I assume there is something similar in AT's VM range.

Just some food for thought.

10 minutes ago, Misterioso said:

If you are looking for a true upgrade, maybe split the funds between cartridge and phono stage differently. One of the Graham Slee (solid state) MM phono stages, for example, would leave more funds for the cartridge. I have heard the AT150MLX with a low mass TP-16 mk III tonearm (Thorens TD 126 mk III) and it was sublime. While this cartridge has been discontinued, I assume there is something similar in AT's VM range.

Just some food for thought.

Thanks for your reply Misterioso. I guess you saw my other post on these forums asking for a phono stage recommendation as well. Splitting the funds differently is something that I am definitely open to, but I am having a little trouble balancing the funds due to my want for a tube preamp as I am looking for tubes specifically.

Could you possibly direct me to a specific model in AT's VM range that could be suitable?

Guest Misterioso
2 minutes ago, foxtroot said:

Thanks for your reply Misterioso. I guess you saw my other post on these forums asking for a phono stage recommendation as well. Splitting the funds differently is something that I am definitely open to, but I am having a little trouble balancing the funds due to my want for a tube preamp as I am looking for tubes specifically.

Could you possibly direct me to a specific model in AT's VM range that could be suitable?

Sorry, not yet familiar with the VM range but it is supposed to replace the AT150MLX among others.