Sign in to follow this  
foxtroot

Tube phono stage under $700?

Guest Muon N'

Is the Vincent Tube? or a SS/tube hybrid like the Project?

Edited by Muon N'

9 hours ago, andyr said:

Re. these two you referenced, Mat:

1. the Bottlehead has a Zout of 4K ohms - compared to the Cornet3's 1K - which makes it a much more difficult match for a preamp.  (4K Zout is absurd, IMO.  :( )
  2. The Cornet3 is supplied completely made, I think - no DIY required.

Andy

For the Bottlehead, what's the significance of the Zout being 4k ohms which makes it a bad choice for a preamp?

20 minutes ago, foxtroot said:

For the Bottlehead, what's the significance of the Zout being 4k ohms which makes it a bad choice for a preamp?

There's a "rule of thumb", foxtroot, that says that the Zin of a succeeding component must be > 10x the Zout of the preceeding component.  But this "rule of thumb" is exactly that - an estimate (actually, a minimum!).  So a Zout of 4K meets the "rule of thumb" for your typical preamp Zin of 47K ... but sometimes you really need a bigger multiplier.

For instance, people who listen to vinyl with an MC cart, typically use the load recommended by the cart mfr which is a 10x coil impedance load.  However, I have found - with the carts that I have owned - that 100x gives you the best sound.

Hence the Cornet3 Zout of 1K gives you more chance you won't have a problem with your preamp; another tube phono stage that someone mentioned - which I found has a Zout of only 250 ohms - gives you even more surety.

Andy

Edited by andyr

It’s an interesting point Andy.  As we found at my place (and I’m still getting around to making some load plugs!), more seemed to equal more with impedance.  I wonder if the quoted numbers from the manufacturers is more to do with ballpark compatibility with as many pre’s as possible (thus encourage more users)?  I think you’re onto something with the higher numbers.....

3 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

It’s an interesting point Andy.  As we found at my place (and I’m still getting around to making some load plugs!), more seemed to equal more with impedance.  I wonder if the quoted numbers from the manufacturers is more to do with ballpark compatibility with as many pre’s as possible (thus encourage more users)?

Could well be, Mat.  :)

But it could also be slackness - ie. we'll just stick with the 10x (coil impedance) "rule of thumb"?  :(

BTW, I've just finished building - and running in - an MC 'Muse'.  Would you be interested in me bringing this over for a comparison against your Valab?

3 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

I think you’re onto something with the higher numbers.....

Thank you - but unfortunately, so few LOMC owners ever hear them with their optimal loading.  :(  :(

What I find fascinating is that although the tech specs for my Benz LP said "470 ohms or greater" (ie. 10x the coil impedance) ... Albert Lucaschek's ("Mr Benz's") own phono stage only offered 47K loading for his LOMCs - so 1000x the coil impedance.  (I myself didn't like the sound at 47K ... I preferred 4,700 or 3,300 ohms.)

Andy

Hey if looking to join the tube world for a pre has anyone mentioned the Schiit stuff ? https://www.schiit.com/products/saga-2

By all accounts I read great reviews with the urging to upgrade the tube right off the bat for excellent results.. 

What i like is the 5 inputs 2 outputs which you don't see often..but depending on the cart may need more gain for LOMC carts.

Edited by fanj
add

3 hours ago, fanj said:

Hey if looking to join the tube world for a pre has anyone mentioned the Schiit stuff ? https://www.schiit.com/products/saga-2

By all accounts I read great reviews with the urging to upgrade the tube right off the bat for excellent results.. 

What i like is the 5 inputs 2 outputs which you don't see often..but depending on the cart may need more gain for LOMC carts.

This thread is about phono stages which are tube.  You have linked to a line-stage preamp which has a tube.  (Although it's difficult to see where the 'amp' description comes from - as the specs say it has a gain of '1' (ie. 0dB)!

Andy

Little Bear tube phono stage under $300 on fleabay.

Little Bear T10 6N2 Tube valve Phono Turntable RIAA Preamp preamplifier V2.2

On 07/08/2019 at 4:29 PM, foxtroot said:

Hi all, 

I'm looking at getting a tube phono stage for a MM cart at around $500 - $700 AUD. Are there any decent options available at that price? I'm not too keen on doing any DIY as I have never tried anything of the sort before. 

I also don't mind if it's used gear or new.

EDIT: Changed budget down to $700

Here you go, foxy:

Andy