School me on Luxman integrateds.

After a move to a smaller place, I’m finding I can only use about 1/8 – 1/4 on the volume, so a potentially smaller amp is required. The L-590s look as though it (whichever vintage) may meet the requirements (Class A, low THD at rated output, doubling into 4 ohms).

Though a dealer through a spanner in the works. The told me the L-590s then move into Class B above the 30 watts, though they were unsure of the power output. To confuse matters more, they tell me that the 507s and 509s operated in Class A (up to a point).

They could not tell me the actual power output L-590 in Class B or the 507/509 in Class A.

SO… What is actually going on? Do I have an incompetent dealer, are the 507 and 590 the same amp rated differently?

Side note… What’s the actual difference between a 507 and 509?

Guest thathifiguy

I would be very surprised if you ever exceeded the 30 watts of class A anyway, especially at continuous levels.

The L-550's and L-590's are high class A bias class A/B amplifiers.  They put out 20 or 30 watts in class A and then back it up with another 30 to 60 watts in class B.

The L-505's and L-507's are low class A bias class A/B amplifiers.  They put out a few watts in class A (don't know how much, but expect 1 to 3 watts) and then back it up with the rest of their ratting in class B.

Luxman call the 550 and 590 "pure class A" amplifiers, this only 'kind of' correct and misleading.  Yes they have 20 or 30 watts in class A but they are not only class A amps.  It's just that Luxman seems to think that the class A portion is all that customers are interested in.

Don't go forgetting that the class A amps put out a shite-load of heat!  No closed cabinets or any shelfs directly above for them.  The A/B amps still put out a fair bit of heat, you could probably get away with a shelf above them if they had 6 inches or so of space but still no closed cabinets (unless they are actively vented).

Also, the 590 and the 507 sound very different, the 590 is warm and lush and the 507 is cooler but much more dynamic with a more active treble region, don't go listening to one and then buying the other or you may be disappointed.

The 509 is a statement piece, I'm assuming an up-gunned version of the 507. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Cafad said:

The L-550's and L-590's are high class A bias class A/B amplifiers.  They put out 20 or 30 watts in class A and then back it up with another 30 to 60 watts in class B.

The L-505's and L-507's are low class A bias class A/B amplifiers.  They put out a few watts in class A (don't know how much, but expect 1 to 3 watts) and then back it up with the rest of their ratting in class B.

Luxman call the 550 and 590 "pure class A" amplifiers, this only 'kind of' correct and misleading.  Yes they have 20 or 30 watts in class A but they are not only class A amps.  It's just that Luxman seems to think that the class A portion is all that customers are interested in.

Don't go forgetting that the class A amps put out a shite-load of heat!  No closed cabinets or any shelfs directly above for them.  The A/B amps still put out a fair bit of heat, you could probably get away with a shelf above them if they had 6 inches or so of space but still no closed cabinets (unless they are actively vented).

Also, the 590 and the 507 sound very different, the 590 is warm and lush and the 507 is cooler but much more dynamic with a more active treble region, don't go listening to one and then buying the other or you may be disappointed.

The 509 is a statement piece, I'm assuming an up-gunned version of the 507. 

Ty

No issues with class A. I ran my inherited KMA-160s for a long time before my current setup.

Will have to attempt an in home demo I think.

Having owned a Luxman L-550AX 20W Class A amp now for a couple of years, which replaced a couple of 110W solid state monoblocs, sound quality improvements aside, the Luxman performs more effortlessly with far more headroom.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Having owned a Luxman L-550AX 20W Class A amp now for a couple of years, which replaced a couple of 110W solid state monoblocs, sound quality improvements aside, the Luxman performs more effortlessly with far more headroom.

It will be (if I do it) replacing an Electrocompaniet EC4.7/AW100DMB pre/pwr

Edited by furtherpale

14 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Could not agree more. I have the previous model 550A II and it drives and controls speakers easily without cracking a sweat. I have owned it from new for >5 years and it never ceases to amaze me with any speaker I have tried with it.

Frankly, I don't worry at all about its power rating. It either does the job properly or it does not and IME it has never failed to deliver anything but superb results and most definitely "does the job ".

• Like 2

Could someone please give me a bit of advice concerning the Luxman L-590AX11 Class A integrated.

(1) Can I use banana plugs with this amp?

(2) Is there a link used between the pre-out and main-in

Thanks.

29 minutes ago, Kosmic said:

Could someone please give me a bit of advice concerning the Luxman L-590AX11 Class A integrated.

(1) Can I use banana plugs with this amp?

(2) Is there a link used between the pre-out and main-in

Thanks.

1. Yes and 2. No.

http://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=1

Scroll down to gallery and click on photo to enlarge.

Edited by rantan
typo

2 minutes ago, rantan said:

No and No.

http://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=1

Scroll down to gallery and click on photo to enlarge.

Thanks, I did that but pics don't always show links, if there are any. Also, the pics of the rear terminals don't rule out banana plugs, as you might need to puncture plastic tabs hiding the banana plug holes. Just not sure from pictures alone.

OK.

I own one and there are no pre out,main in links. I exclusively use banana plugs and have never had any issue with connection.

Just to re-iterate for those who may be interested. Luxman amplfiers are fully able to accept banana plugs without any issue.

I am not sure how much clearer I can be.

Edited by rantan

2 minutes ago, rantan said:

OK.

I own one and there are no pre out,main in links. I exclusively use banana plugs and have never had any issue with connection.

Oh I see. I thought you answered no in the post above to the banana plug question. Thanks anyway, it's great to hear from an actual user. Are you entirely happy with your 590AXll?

8 minutes ago, Kosmic said:

Oh I see. I thought you answered no in the post above to the banana plug question. Thanks anyway, it's great to hear from an actual user. Are you entirely happy with your 590AXll?

No problem. To say I am happy with my Luxman would be a huge understatement. I have loved it from the day I purchased it and still do to this day  It is one item that I will never sell.

All this ability with a bonus of a phono stage to die for,  a huge variety input options, built to last a lifetime and has antique parchment coloured VU meters which look seductive in a dark room. it doesn't get much better than this.:)

Edit: you were correct about my error. I have now edited my previos post to show YES to banana plugs.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, rantan said:

No problem. To say I am happy with my Luxman would be a huge understatement. I have loved it from the day I purchased it and still do to this day  It is one item that I will never sell.

All this ability with a bonus of a phono stage to die for,  a huge variety input options, built to last a lifetime and has antique parchment coloured VU meters which look seductive in a dark room. it doesn't get much better than this.:)

Oh great, it's on my shortlist of possible purchases. The 509 looks good too, if class A/B is your thing. I've always wanted a class A amp. Could I position it on a shelf with another shelf above it...about 30 cms between shelves?

1 minute ago, Kosmic said:

Oh great, it's on my shortlist of possible purchases. The 509 looks good too, if class A/B is your thing. I've always wanted a class A amp. Could I position it on a shelf with another shelf above it...about 30 cms between shelves?

They do run warm after an hour or two, but never really hot and but that were to happen somehow, the amplifier's protection circuitry would shut down the entire amplifier to avoid any damage. You will also find that they sound at their best when warm and if possible, I turn on mine about  about 10-15 minutes prior to listening.

30cm should be ample for airflow so long as the shelving is open.

The A/B amps are really good as well but the magic really happens with the Class A amps.

• Like 1

• Volunteer
7 hours ago, Cafad said:

My understanding is that Class A/B is a combination of aspects of Class A and Class B.

It does not mean that the amp transitions from pure class A to pure Class B.

So I think your statement should be something like: "They put out 20 or 30 watts in class A and then back it up with another 30 to 60 watts in class A/B."

• Like 1