Theophany Loudspeakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest Karl Rand

Guest Karl Rand
14 minutes ago, rantan said:

Thank goodness for that.

The worst possible scenario for a start up speaker company would be to place it in HN where the speakers might be demonstrated and if so, it would be for 90 seconds with a crappy HT receiver.

WARNING. Topic for another thread. 

And they’d be set up so close together you’d be hearing mono. Which leads to another pet hate of mine. We all encounter audio gear installed in the most irrational locations with no regard to room dimensions etc. Can’t always blame the public. Even companies as respected as Tannoy will advertise their speakers pictured in positions they must know are totally insane. 

Edited by Karl Rand

I’m all for supporting  new hifi companies, but they have to be supportable.

One of the issues I have with Australia’s home-grown speaker industry is that they don’t provide measurements to support their claims.

Yes, anechoic chambers are expensive. But there are other ways to measure a speaker.

If you have not done measurements, how on earth did you design your speaker? You cannot select the best drivers, design the right box, design the right baffle, design the right crossovers etc etc without measuring.

I would be farmore convinced by Lenehan, VAF, Duntech, SGR, Krix, etc etc if they published their measurements. 

As for Theophany, the speakers appear to be bog standard in every way. I have no idea of the cost, or what the god-given technology is. 

Speakers like Zu and Devore may sound like crap, but at least they have some kind of technology story behind them.

• Like 1

Guest Karl Rand
1 hour ago, sfdoddsy said:

I’m all for supporting  new hifi companies, but they have to be supportable.

One of the issues I have with Australia’s home-grown speaker industry is that they don’t provide measurements to support their claims.

Yes, anechoic chambers are expensive. But there are other ways to measure a speaker.

If you have not done measurements, how on earth did you design your speaker? You cannot select the best drivers, design the right box, design the right baffle, design the right crossovers etc etc without measuring.

I would be farmore convinced by Lenehan, VAF, Duntech, SGR, Krix, etc etc if they published their measurements. 

As for Theophany, the speakers appear to be bog standard in every way. I have no idea of the cost, or what the god-given technology is. 

Speakers like Zu and Devore may sound like crap, but at least they have some kind of technology story behind them.

Yes, I’d prefer manufacturers all published full specifications but at the same time I’m arrogant enough to believe my ears, even at my age. If I enjoy music through a speaker and if they sound close enough to the sound from acoustic instruments I’m familiar with  I’m inclined to put my money down; unless they’re so ugly, as so many are today, I can’t live with them. Oh, and if they wobble my innards the same way a 32 foot stop on a pipe organ does - - - 

Edited by Karl Rand

• 2 weeks later...

I have listened to Theophany Paizo Kardia  bookshelf speakers at Carlton Audio and for the price I was impressed.  You would be hard pressed to find a better speaker in this price range.  Lacks a bit of bass and better to pair with sub.

Edited by xchewyrep
  • Like 1

On 07/08/2019 at 8:25 PM, Guest Karl Rand said:

Oh, and if they wobble my innards the same way a 32 foot stop on a pipe organ does - - - 

I'm told that St Johns in Launny has 64' pipes - longer than the Hobart lot.

Is your innards wobble a good thing, I wasn't sure? I'm trying to build speakers that do, without wrecking my tympanic membranes. (And hoping I like it).

The 'ugly' thing is different - too many speakers out there designed for looks (how on Earth can they please people from both Mars and Venus?), and obviously compromising in the matter of ideal air movement.

One thing that SNA has highlighted for me is that measurements need to be clearly labelled, and interpreted by people with a lot of understanding. In speaker marketing there are so many issues jostling for prominence (or stuffed under the rug) that just about anyone can be fooled, with or without measurements.

• 11 months later...