Do you think my cantilever is bent?

Good morning. I know this is a hard question just by looking at some bad photos, but do you think the cantilever is bent? From the front it looks very much so, but from underneath not so much. 

Cheers. 

479D095B-581E-476C-85DE-C76B4F348BC1.jpeg

130BBE7A-3EB0-4F8E-BA3B-ED95F2FE376B.jpeg

F4305407-A871-4703-AB5C-6760BDA504C6.jpeg

05671704-2393-42A5-BB8F-5DB64D0204F8.jpeg

C9CF9071-DE1A-4872-8923-AAA1A37D87CA.jpeg

Yes and it seems as an unusual banana shape. In most of the ones I've seen the cantilever looks straight but point in the wrong direction from the base. It could be the photo but in your case looks like the aluminium is bent. Is it noticeably affecting the sound?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, Uglu said:

Yes and it seems as an unusual banana shape. In most of the ones I've seen the cantilever looks straight but point in the wrong direction from the base. It could be the photo but in your case looks like the aluminium is bent. Is it noticeably affecting the sound?

Yes, the sound issue seems the left channel is a little louder, which never was a massive issue, but I’ve now noticed just recently that the right channel high end frequencies, is its a little distorted which you really hear it in the tweeter up close.  

Ok in that case you should replace it as you might even be damaging records. Do you like the sound of the cartridge? I think is one of the best value for money MC's. If you like it, you can probably replace it with the same for about 400 on the internet.

• Love 1

Thank you. I do like it, but was purely a recommendation and it was to replace the stock Ortofon 2M Red that come with the TT, so don’t really know any better. 

However, since I need to replace it, where could you go from here without blowing the price crazy?

Cheers. 

3 minutes ago, reeza78 said:

Thank you. I do like it, but was purely a recommendation and it was to replace the stock Ortofon 2M Red that come with the TT, so don’t really know any better. 

However, since I need to replace it, where could you go from here without blowing the price crazy?

Cheers. 

I agree with the others that it needs replacing. As to what is a suitable replacement depends on budget. I note that you have a Pro-Ject debut carbon TT which is a good starter deck so perhaps a Garrott  Bros K3 would be a good match. If your budget is limited I personally would avoid a low cost MC.

5 minutes ago, reeza78 said:

Cheers. 

I pressume you want to remain in the MC field.

Personally I think to improve on the DL110 you need to start at least doubling the price. Most MC's worth having are low output, so you need to think about the phono stage too unless yours can do low output with good quality.

I did like recently the Audio Technica OC9 III before I broke it, Denon 103 is a nice classic, not expensive, might lack some detail but in some set ups sounds just beautiful.

Have you got a budget in mind, for about $1500 Audio Technica ART9 is very well reviewed but I've never had one. 

Thanks for the suggestions and things to consider. 

My phono stage is a ifi phono 2 which should be more then fine. https://ifi-audio.com/products/micro-iphono2/

Unfortunately, the budget is extremely low due to recent our goings. The cheapest I can get the DL-110 for is $285. So I could up to $500 if it was worth it. If not I guess I’ll just grab another.

As for MC or MM I have not idea/ opinion on which is better so could go either way. 

Cheers.  

24 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

I think it’s now sold, but a Hana EL would be a nice choice, or a Denon 301r perhaps?  They come up here for nice prices....,

Thanks, I’ll take a look now. 

On 07/08/2019 at 1:44 PM, reeza78 said:

Thanks for the suggestions and things to consider. 

My phono stage is a ifi phono 2 which should be more then fine. https://ifi-audio.com/products/micro-iphono2/

Unfortunately, the budget is extremely low due to recent our goings. The cheapest I can get the DL-110 for is $285. So I could up to $500 if it was worth it. If not I guess I’ll just grab another.

As for MC or MM I have not idea/ opinion on which is better so could go either way. 

Cheers.  

With a budget of 500 max if I were you then I'll get another DL110. What happens is you have a fantastic value for money cartridge there and it is hard to beat.

To improve, unless you go to at least double the money you are unlikely to get something much better.

If you feel like changing, an alternative could be the Denon DL103, similar price, low output and very popular cartridge, so much that it has been in production since 1963 or so.

I quite like it too but depending on the equipment I've preferred one or the other. It's one of those things you need to take the chance to find out but as I've said lots of people like it. Great mid range, bass and dynamics.

Guest Karl Rand
On 07/08/2019 at 1:07 PM, reeza78 said:

Cheers. 

https://www.jico-stylus.com

Thanks all...

I’ve looked, read and asked, and I’ve ordered an other DL-110.  As @Ugluhad basically said. I couldn’t find a cart that could beat it for its price with the same quality, that I at least know and like the sound of, and works with my turntable and phono pre. 

I hope to one day either new or preferably via a SNM ad, purchased a second and higher grade TT where I’ll have more options available to me. 

Until then, the DL-110 is fantastic and hopefully will still be delivered today by 9pm. 

Thank you all, and I look forward to the time I can purchase my second TT and once again be back here to bust some bulls with my dumb questions, lol :) 

Cheers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, reeza78 said:

Thank you Star Track courier for my late night delivery ?

478FBEB9-6067-4AD5-8AFE-661A30474E22.thumb.jpeg.06009f171a051470b0b9ec7f448f3c27.jpeg

Bloody hell that was efficient! As a relative noob  to cartidge/stylii, I'd love to know how much of a difference you can percieve in an AB test.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2019 at 9:21 PM, SkipEsquire said:

Bloody hell that was efficient! As a relative noob  to cartidge/stylii, I'd love to know how much of a difference you can percieve in an AB test.

I really need to spend more time with it, but the right speaker highs are new clean on both sides, so that little bit of distortion appears to be gone. However, the volume still seems to be slightly favouring the left channel by about 1 or 2 dbs (possibly my cartridge alignment skills and/or eye sight are crap).

Overall sitting back, playing it loud, I honestly can't hear a real difference. But once again, I set it up had a quick play and lost the room back to the kids. I'll try and get more time with it soon.

Cheers.

IMG_1407.thumb.jpg.eb8989d8bd6b6154e8f12d555d26204e.jpg

Edited by reeza78

On 15/08/2019 at 9:36 AM, reeza78 said:

I really need to spend more time with it, but the right speaker highs are new clean on both sides, so that little bit of distortion appears to be gone. However, the volume still seems to be slightly favouring the left channel by about 1 or 2 dbs (possibly my cartridge alignment skills and/or eye sight are crap).

Overall sitting back, playing it loud, I honestly can't hear a real difference. But once again, I set it up had a quick play and lost the room back to the kids. I'll try and get more time with it soon.

Cheers.

IMG_1407.thumb.jpg.eb8989d8bd6b6154e8f12d555d26204e.jpg

Re the sound levels, try moving the antiskating and see whether that evens out the difference.

It is also possible your phono stage is not balanced, have you tried swapping the cables and see if the whether the difference remains on the same channel?

It is quite likely a camera distorsion but your head shell looks slightly bent and the cartridge appears to be rear heavy. I have the same DL at the moment on a TT and the bottom area appears much more parallel to the record than yours, is that right or is it just the photo?

20190821_132041[1].jpg

1 hour ago, Uglu said:

Re the sound levels, try moving the antiskating and see whether that evens out the difference.

It is also possible your phono stage is not balanced, have you tried swapping the cables and see if the whether the difference remains on the same channel?

It is quite likely a camera distorsion but your head shell looks slightly bent and the cartridge appears to be rear heavy. I have the same DL at the moment on a TT and the bottom area appears much more parallel to the record than yours, is that right or is it just the photo?

Hey @Uglu. First up, thank you for the reply, photo and troubleshooting tips, it's much appreciated.

With the L/R volume difference; it was doing my head in so I spend some time with it, and it appears that even digital playback via the Node 2i its there also, just not as noticeable. So thinking it's either a speaker placement, seating location or pre/amp issue. Unfortunately, I've tried moving the speakers a little and not having much luck.

I've adjusted the anti-skate best I can where is sits with only just the tiniest amount waver, which I think is the anti-skate weight style on this turntable, that moves as it dangles down for a couple of minutes or so when you lower the tonearm down. (I might have to post a small video to explain that better?)

As for looking a little bent, the photo does make it ever so slightly worse looking, but it does seem to be somewhat looking at your picture, It doesn't sit as nice as yours. 

I'll have to look it up when I have a little time this evening, but I think this tonearm can be manually slightly bent by hand to fine adjust it. Maybe, hope so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .So maybe that could be an/the issue and a way to fix it if true.

Thanks again. Leo.

4 minutes ago, reeza78 said:

Hey @Uglu. First up, thank you for the reply, photo and troubleshooting tips, it's much appreciated.

With the L/R volume difference; it was doing my head in so I spend some time with it, and it appears that even digital playback via the Node 2i its there also, just not as noticeable. So thinking it's either a speaker placement, seating location or pre/amp issue. Unfortunately, I've tried moving the speakers a little and not having much luck.

I've adjusted the anti-skate best I can where is sits with only just the tiniest amount waver, which I think is the anti-skate weight style on this turntable, that moves as it dangles down for a couple of minutes or so when you lower the tonearm down. (I might have to post a small video to explain that better?)

As for looking a little bent, the photo does make it ever so slightly worse looking, but it does seem to be somewhat looking at your picture, It doesn't sit as nice as yours. 

I'll have to look it up when I have a little time this evening, but I think this tonearm can be manually slightly bent by hand to fine adjust it. Maybe, hope so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .So maybe that could be an/the issue and a way to fix it if true.

Thanks again. Leo.

My pleasure, If you are suffering the channel difference with other sources then it can be the amp or the speakers. If the speakers are old it could be that one of the capacitors in the crossover might be going bad. After many years of coping with one of my speakers lacking bass compared to the other I finally had a look and a bad cap was causing the difference but yes it all takes time and for that reason I've just coped with it for a long time. The drivers themselves could be the problem but it's hard to pin point long distance.

Regarding the anti skating, I have no idea about your tonearm but watch these videos by this well respected guy as they could be helpful.

part 1 of 2

part 2 of 2