Sign in to follow this  
Johnny_Boy

On screen volume with 4k UHD's Denon 6200

Hi All,

Been using the Denon AVR 6200 for a few years now and always wondered about this. When watching 4k material via apple tv, or media player (playing full 1:1 rips of 4k UHD's) the volume shows up on the display fine and works a treat. 

However, as soon as i use my BD player with either a BD or UHD i dont get any volume overlay. (if i set my BD player to output 1080p, the overlay will work, just not upscalling to 4k, or native 4k)

Any ideas why this is the case? 

I could understand if it did it with all 4k material, but its only from the UHD player. 

Its not a huge deal, just curious about it. 99% of the time, i rip everything to my server. Just all original collection of 700+ BDs im yet to get around it. All the new stuff is straight on the server. 

Cheers

1 hour ago, Johnny_Boy said:

Hi All,

Been using the Denon AVR 6200 for a few years now and always wondered about this. When watching 4k material via apple tv, or media player (playing full 1:1 rips of 4k UHD's) the volume shows up on the display fine and works a treat. 

However, as soon as i use my BD player with either a BD or UHD i dont get any volume overlay. (if i set my BD player to output 1080p, the overlay will work, just not upscalling to 4k, or native 4k)

Any ideas why this is the case? 

Its very hard to apply low res [like a 480i/576 volume readout ]to  a UHD 2160 res that may be either 24p from a player or 60fs  from a streamer unfortunately.. Your media box has fewer things to do and concentrates its abilities on whats more important to it.  The engineers may just settle for output at 1080p on the avr which is easier and on which the R&D has already been done.

This will be even harder when hdmi 2.1 resolutions are played . Its also why many upper level pre pros have ditched osd readouts completely . Pre pros like the monoprice htp1  and acurus muse have cut these and substituted a phone/tablet app instead. As another example Marantz and Denon  also generate a separate feed on screen gui and switch to that rather than trying to overlay onto the original video[this may be the crux for you] . Emotiva with their new HDMI 2.0B board have persisted with the traditional way but with things like hdr10 and dolby vision passthrough its not as easy as it used to be ;) 

The lack of an enforceable standard for HDMI too makes things difficult ; all the ce's have their different take on how to implement handshaking ; no surprise companies like hdfury exist .