Looks great, happy watching.

Where did you get the binary mdf from. Looks the goods

Looks great, happy watching. 

Where did you get the binary mdf from. Looks the goods

I got it from Bunnings........., MDF, Drill, Paint, etc.[emoji12] 

The panels are DIY and based upon the RPG binary pattern. If you google it, you will find some examples. Gearslutz has a lot of info as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rpg+binary+pattern&client=firefox-b-m&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-rem6qLPkAhW58HMBHaYoBWgQ_AUIBigB&biw=360&bih=560

They are very good in controlling reflections and decay time.

They start to be effective around 800Hz, and are fully effective from 1kHz and upwards.

There are different variations on the market like the wavewood (slats), and the artisan panels.

1 hour ago, Primare Knob said:

I got it from Bunnings........., MDF, Drill, Paint, etc.emoji12.png 

The panels are DIY and based upon the RPG binary pattern. If you google it, you will find some examples. Gearslutz has a lot of info as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rpg+binary+pattern&client=firefox-b-m&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-rem6qLPkAhW58HMBHaYoBWgQ_AUIBigB&biw=360&bih=560

They are very good in controlling reflections and decay time.

They start to be effective around 800Hz, and are fully effective from 1kHz and upwards.

There are different variations on the market like the wavewood (slats), and the artisan panels.

Great effort that’s a lot of holes to drill, thought a CNC router would have been used.

again looks awesome! 👍🏼

Great effort that’s a lot of holes to drill, thought a CNC router would have been used.

again looks awesome! [emoji1360]

I don't have the setup for that and looked into using a hand held router, but I don't think that they are meant for drilling, and it can be a bit harder to find center looking from above.

CNC would have given a nicer cut out and a cleaner pattern, but if you need to pay an external party, there is a big chance, it will work out the same as buying the panels in store. I never got a quote back for them, but I got a quote for the ceiling strips, which came down to $1100, for cutting and supply.

As I favoured speed, I drilled up to 8 X 6mdf panels with a hand drill, but doing this by hand will never guarantee a straight angle. This is fine for the first 2 panels, up to 4 is still fine, but more than 4 and you will start to clearly see the offset created by a non straight drill angle.

You could make a guide panel, but it would need to be 25mm thick or more, and made out of hard wood, and pre drilled with straight angles, and then you're back where you started.

The good thing is, that there are so many holes that you don't notice the offset to much, but by paying a bit of attention you can definitely pick them out.

1 minute ago, Primare Knob said:

I don't have the setup for that and looked into using a hand held router, but I don't think that they are meant for drilling, and it can be a bit harder to find center looking from above.

CNC would have given a nicer cut out and a cleaner pattern, but if you need to pay an external party, there is a big chance, it will work out the same as buying the panels in store. I never got a quote back for them, but I got a quote for the ceiling strips, which came down to $1100, for cutting and supply.

As I favoured speed, I drilled up to 8 X 6mdf panels with a hand drill, but doing this by hand will never guarantee a straight angle. This is fine for the first 2 panels, up to 4 is still fine, but more than 4 and you will start to clearly see the offset created by a non straight drill angle.

You could make a guide panel, but it would need to be 25mm thick or more, and made out of hard wood, and pre drilled with straight angles, and then you're back where you started.

The good thing is, that there are so many holes that you don't notice the offset to much, but by paying a bit of attention and you can definitely pick them out.

Great going and agree outsourcing the CNC router work may have defeated the purpose unless you know a guy.

Looks great!! can you expand a bit more on whats behind the front wall or a picture before you added diffuser panels. I read your description 3 times and am still not clear on it:blush:

Looks great!! can you expand a bit more on whats behind the front wall or a picture before you added diffuser panels. I read your description 3 times and am still not clear on it:blush:

The red lines are a timber frame that is resting on the floor, and locked into place by screwing into the skirting boards, and the ceiling timber joist.

The empty spaces are filled up with a high density black polymer insulation sheets (50mm thick), which is stiff enough to keep itself up by just squeezing it in.

They are then covered with 6mm MDF panel sheets with the RPG dot pattern, screwed into the timber frame.

I did something similar to the ceiling, I jammed sheets of insulation, inbetween the ceiling timber joists, and covered it with slats, that I pre made into 8 panels to make life easier.sketch-1567505827122.jpeg.6d859a5ef6fde12897879e7c39888314.jpegsketch-1567505818933.jpeg.476b5ebe9dde8df16aa6a923be33de2f.jpegtapatalk_1567504025143.jpeg.f2d5434dfc4ea2364cc69641cc94211f.jpegtapatalk_1567504019341.jpeg.c8dd0d117ef75e12c1db3d08465e400e.jpeg

Ok, I think get it. one last dumb question , so its 50mm maximum thickness or multiple layers?

Ok, I think get it. one last dumb question , so its 50mm maximum thickness or multiple layers?
You can go thicker, but it doesn't really help much. You also have to be careful with going to thick, as it can become counter productive.

I have filled up the empty space in the corners with low density insulation, as this showed better results in measurements, compared to 100mm high density.

1 minute ago, Primare Knob said:

You can go thicker, but it doesn't really help much. You also have to be careful with going to thick, as it can become counter productive.

I have filled up the empty space in the corners with low density insulation, as this showed better results in measurements, compared to 100mm high density.

Ok, interesting! dont have the measurements handy do you?

Nice site, Will have to have a look at the other calculators. 

I can see you get higher absorption at certain frequencies with the 50mm but you also will have to deal with the troughs and on average there is slightly less absorption.  . In reality its hard to know what works better unless you try both options and measure (and listen) because you cant put all the details of your room in a calculator. Hmm has made me think about my absorption panels though.....

Congrats on a great looking (and I'm sure) sounding room!! and thanks for making me think about this.

Nice site, Will have to have a look at the other calculators. 

I can see you get higher absorption at certain frequencies with the 50mm but you also will have to deal with the troughs and on average there is slightly less absorption.  . In reality its hard to know what works better unless you try both options and measure (and listen) because you cant put all the details of your room in a calculator. Hmm has made me think about my absorption panels though.....

Congrats on a great looking (and I'm sure) sounding room!! and thanks for making me think about this.
The calculator is using a 0 degree incidence, which isn't accurate in real life. If you switch to a random incidence, you'll see the throughs disappear. Theory and real live often don't add up, so only take this a guideline.

You can see that the throughs happen at every "half length frequency" step of the distance you choose from the wall. Roughly every 340Hz interval with settings of 500mm, which is the half way length of 680Hz aka 500mm.

The front corner of the room has HD(48kg/m3) insulation and LD insulation, and in between (screen and equipment space) there is only 50mm MD (32kg/m3).

I not only covered the front but also the sides and the height with 50mm HD and MD insulation at various distance from the side wall, floor and ceiling.
All absorber start working at frequency X, which is half the frequency of the wavelength related to the distance between wall and absorber.

You have to be carefully in your expectations and reading your measurements. The 500mm distance in my case doesn't do anything for the SPL response below 100Hz, where you need it the most, but the effect does show up in the decay rate and RT60 graphs. Sometimes it also has effect on the group delay if it happens to cure a SBIR effect.

I have mostly used the graphs dealing with decay and group delay regarding treatment. The SPL graph is good for digital EQ, and finding out which effect belongs to which problem.

But I still have lots to learn on measurements myself.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By daro
      Item: 2 x Toroidal Transformers 160VA 2x20V Audio Grade
      Price: SOLD
      Item Condition: Made in 2013 but never used, mint
      Reason for selling: Abandoned DIY project
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal
      Extra Info:
      I have for sale a pair of Toroidal Transformers. They are 160VA, 2 x 20V each. Made by Toroidy, great Polish manufacturer of high quality audio grade transformers. 
      Selling both matched transformers together, so the price is for the pair. They could be perfect for a dual-mono or two monoblock amplifiers. 
      I bought the transformers 6 years ago, for my DIY amp that I never finished. I did not even put those transformers in. Stored them packed in the box. So these are pretty much brand new.
      I did not have time to finish that project and do not need those two any more, so the sale. 

Some of the characteristics of the Audio Grade transformers by Toroidy:
      - additional magnetic and electrostatic screening
      - epoxy filled centre with M6 clearance hole in a potted centre for mounting
      - gum pads to eliminate transmission of vibrations
      - impregnated core and the windings
      - covered with a black Mylar tape
      - production process scrupulously controlled at every step
      - quiet performance and the highest electrical parameters
      - flex leads
      - GOSS band

On top of that, my order had a couple of custom modifications:
      - doubled diameter of secondary windings
      - primary winded on secondaries

Specs:
      Primary: 0-230V @ 50Hz 
      Secondaries: 20-0-20V
      Estimated dimensions:  105mm diameter x 50mm high (plus 10-20mm for leadouts) 
      Mounting: M6 clearance hole in a potted centre
      Leadouts: approx. 110mm long flexible (stranded)
      Weight: approx. 1.35kg each

I’m happy to post anywhere in Australia. Pickup available from Lindfield (2070).

Photos:

• By rawcraftwood
      Item: SHERBOURN PA 2-250 POWER AMPLIFIER 
      Price: $750
      Item Condition: VERY GOOD 8/10
      Reason for selling: NO LONGER REQUIRED - TOO MUCH GEAR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, DEPOSIT
      Extra Info:

Up for sale is my Sherbourn PA 2-250 power amplifier.
      For those who don't know, this was the predecessor of the very popular Emotiva XPA-2.
      2 x 250w @8 ohms, 2 x 500w @4 ohms
      XLR and balanced inputs
      Trigger inputs and outputs
      Huge torodial power supply
      Weighs in at 22kg

I was using this amplifier with a set of magnepan mg12's I recently rebuilt the frames and crossovers for.
      I was previously using a Harmon Kardon citation 12 for the Maggies with no compliants, but after the recent
      modifications , the Maggies dug that much deeper into the bass region that the HK was having a hard time,
      and got quite a bit warmer than it normally did when a bit of Dire Straits was played......

I found the Sherbourn had a very similar sonic signature to my lovely old HK, but boy could it dig lower without even a hint of breaking a sweat.
      So much so were the new crossovers, frames and amp working together that well that the lower register was at the point of being detrimental.
      I made the Maggies into a three way system, put the HK back into the system to cover the mid and top end, and run 2 x 12" sealed subs for the bottom end.
      And with that, the Sherbourn went back into the box.

Would make a great home theatre front channel amplifier, stereo amplifier, or another Maggie owner wanting 500w x 2 @ 4ohms without breaking the budget ( or marriage ).

Prefer local pick up as the weight is above some freight carriers limits, and once they know it's second hand audio gear, they won't cover for damage......
      been there and done it a few times in the past.......unless you're wanting to pay hundreds of dollars extra ( TNT won't cover for loss ??? only damage )

My username on ebay is also rawcraftwood, so you can look on there for an indication of my feedback. I'm not a trader or seller of audio gear, I'm just like the rest of us,
      bitten by that darn upgradeitus bug......continually looking for that audio Nirvana.
      Fleabay is no longer what it used to be 5 years ago, too many crazy people......so I don't sell on there anymore. 

I have a few other amplifiers to list over the coming weeks....same thing, am happy with the current setup/s and no need to change anymore.
      I can put the funds to other projects.
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By TomW
      For our October club meeting we are very pleased to have club member Bill Louey present his own highly modified home system including his DIY loudspeakers.  Bill last presented his system to the club back in April 2012 – much of it has now changed and improved.

Details of Bill’s system (details below were written by Bill)…

Loudspeakers
      These are 3 way open baffle loudspeakers using dynamic drivers with active and passive hybrid crossovers. Open baffle loudspeakers have some unique advantages over conventional boxed speakers in that:
      ·        They don’t have an enclosed box so they have no box resonances hence no box colourations,
      ·        Their dipole radiation pattern reduces side reflections hence room interaction and increases the portion of direct sound over reflected sound in the room, and,
      ·        The first sound reflection from the wall comes from behind the speakers in the front instead of from behind the seat for conventional speakers, hence producing a more realistic, life-like sound. Open baffle loudspeakers are substantially harder to design due to sound wave cancellation, reduced efficiency and lobbing effects and usually require active crossover to shape frequency response and need multiple amplifiers to drive. Since open baffle speakers are much harder to sell manufacturers usually don’t make them, except with electrostatic loudspeakers. However, because of the greatest technical challenges and potentially the highest possible sonic result, open baffle speakers with dynamic drivers are the ultimate for loudspeaker DIY builders.
      Bill designed the crossover networks and has been tweaking them for 10 years now. He has only lately been very happy with the results and concluded the 10 year loudspeaker DIY project.

CD/SACD/Blu Ray Source
      The source is a modified Marantz UD7007 universal player that plays CD, SACD and Blu Ray. Bill has undergone multiple revisions of his own upgrade over the years and has replaced hundreds of parts to change the player to suit his needs. He also changed the player from a Class II player to a Class I player in order to reduce the noise from the switch mode power supply unit.

Preamp / Active Crossover
      This is a custom built unit designed by Bill to house the active crossover also to serve as a preamp. All buffer stages use OPA627 driven by an extremely quiet shunt regulator.

Power Amplifiers
      Bill originally bought a DIY amplifier kit with conventional 3 stages, class AB, fully complimentary design. He later completely redesigned the printed circuit boards and incorporated a very quiet capacitor multiplier into the amplifier’s first two stages. He also designed his own very quiet and muscular power supply for the amplifier. These are MOSFET amplifiers rated 160W.

The second half of the music sessions will be our popular BYO.  Members and guests are welcome to offer music to share with us all.  So bring along your favourite music on CD/SACD/Bluray (sorry, no vinyl this month).  All we ask is that the music and recordings be interesting. We'll ask you to tell us a little about the artist/recording before it is played. Tracks over 6 minutes will be faded out, to give everyone a fair go. 

Whether you are a novice or a seasoned veteran, you will have the opportunity to listen, learn and share your experiences with others.  Feel free to come and hear the capabilities of the system, or to just share the experience with like-minded music lovers in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere. 

Guests are welcome – we are a very friendly club so you don't need to know anyone to join us for an afternoon of fine music and sound.

Venue:  Epping Creative Centre, Dence Park
      Address:  26 Stanley Road, Epping

When:  Sunday 13th October 2019

Doors open 1pm
      Meeting starts at 2pm

Tom Waters
      President
      Sydney Audio Club
      W: http://www.sydneyaudioclub.org/
      FB: https://www.facebook.com/sydneyaudioclub
      E:  tomwaters@sydneyaudioclub.org.au

• By Isaac Otaiza
      Item: Emotiva A5175 amp 
      Price: $1200
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: upgraded to 7 channel
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD . Can post at your expense 
      Extra Info:
      175w into 8ohms 
      250w into 4ohms
      Almost new condition. 
      Around one year old
      Has original box and accessories 

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By zakblue
      Item: Emotiva UMC-200 HT Pre-Processor 
      Price: $410 ($10 Forum Donation)
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: NLR (went Atmos)
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, 

Extra Info:

Preferred the sound of this amp over my Marantz AV8801 (which I sold here)
      Have box incl setup mic, remote and all accessories.
      Happy to post at buyers expense.

https://hometheaterreview.com/emotiva-umc-200-71-channel-av-preamp-reviewed/