B&W P9

Guest Peter the Greek

Guest Peter the Greek

G'day all,

Having got my 7 year old daughter a decent pair of headphones (QC35's) I sort of decided I would like a pair.

The P9's are available by Qantas (I have a reasonable amount of frequent flyer points) and I could pick up a pair for as little as $400 additional cash.

I've no where to try the blooding things on (no local dealer), but one thing that might remove them from my shopping list is report that they "leak" sound/noise. I want them to wear in the office, so that would be a concern.

There doesn't seem to be much said about them on the forums, lots online, but nothing from the good people on SNA.

Anyone have any feedback on the leaking issue or just what they're like in general? comfort etc?

I'd probably get a little DAC to go on my phone when using them

Cheers,

Peter

Guest paraneoplastic

I would advice against using QFF points for redemptions 

Save them for flights as it is significantly better to use them for that (market value for 1 QFF point is ~1.25cents) 

Have you thought about other closed back options? I have a pair of campfire cascades and they are phenominal, also heard the focal Elegia are also good ($1k at addicted to audio currently)

Guest Peter the Greek
On 10/08/2019 at 9:51 PM, paraneoplastic said:

I would advice against using QFF points for redemptions 

Save them for flights as it is significantly better to use them for that (market value for 1 QFF point is ~1.25cents) 

I won't bore you with my home situation,  but we aren't able to travel, so tend to buy stuff with points instead. Stuff we wouldn't normally justify with cold hard cash.

Videopro stock them?

I have tried them. They are bafflingly bad. Like, terrible. Look up some reviews of them from the standard headphone reviewer mobs. DMS on YT for example. Sound aside and ignoring the price, comfort alone is atrocious

My advice is stay clear. QC35 for $400 is a better buy. Or a variety of other portables.

For some absurd reason, they get 5 stars on a bunch of sites. Sponsored maybe, blinded by brand maybe.

This sums up my experience of them.

Edited by Bengineer
  • Like 1

Guest Peter the Greek
11 hours ago, Bengineer said:

For some absurd reason, they get 5 stars on a bunch of sites. Sponsored maybe, blinded by brand maybe.

Thanks! I clearly wasn't looking in the right places!

Always feel funny posting negative stuff like that. But seriously a product I can't believe they charge $1300 for, and I don't want anyone here getting burned by that.

I put them on my head (big head, but still) and I could feel those hard plastic insert. And when you open them up to put on your head the weird headband creaks and moans.

Where as the Bose, for the price, all make sense and well thought out.

Im guessing your wanting wired? 

I did a similar thing to you, current home situation meant no flying for a while and picked up B&W PX.

i love them, initial reviews had mentioned some issues with the start/stop function when you lift the earpiece up but works great for me.

also when i put them on my head they instantly connect to my iphone and if i have tidal open, begin to play music.

They can be hardwired so you can use built in dac or external, although i dont know much about headphones really.

Guest Peter the Greek
On 16/08/2019 at 8:42 PM, Andrews_melb said:

Im guessing your wanting wired?

Yep.

Its interesting. You've got to look hard for a negative review on the P9. Most of the common sites, including SNA are pretty glowing.....piss poor

Obviously don't just take my word for it, but I felt like I needed to say something before you dove in and bought them blind. Go try a pair. You might love them.

I just personally picked them up, thought "Wow, these don't feel like $1200-1300 headphones". Put them on my head, uncomfortable. Sound not even important at this point. I've owend and spent time with a fair few headphones in the $800-2500 brackets, and none of them have those issues, they are generally all just different, not just **** :P

QANTAS have much else to choose from? The Sony WH-1000XM3B are actually decent too, Bose-like.

• Administrator

For balance, just one of the comments on that review:

i've had these headphones for about 3-4 months now. I bought them based on my experience with the P5 series I & II, which i both own and love. I must say, that my first impressions were similar to yours, i didn't find them as comfortable or luxourious as you might expect for the price. Also, yes, the sounds seems really imbalanced and with piercing mids, at first. I really have to agree with you on this. But the thing is - i wanted them to grow on me and BOY THEY DID. Comfort is no problem anymore, the "low" amount of cushion is by far compensated by the great feeling of the leather pads. I wear them every evening in front of the TV or PC for hours, zero problems. They have perfect clamp force imho, not to much, not to little. Adjusting the headband helps. Sometimes i have to lift the cups for a second, but i can continue from there again for hours. So comfort is sorted, what about sound? OH MY. Who said that substantial amounts of bass and toned down trebles couldn't create an audiophile experience?! B&W can. The tone is heavy, WARM and laid back. I absolutely love it. But what about that "piercing" frequency? Hah. I guess that's were the headphone shines or dies for most people. Why? Because most of them are used to a modern, crystal-clear, comfy, and boring sound. But - the B&W P9 doesn't sound modern - its' sound reminds me of old HiFi-Stereos! Just imagine it as something like the opposite of i.e. an Sennheiser HD800. This one sounds very high end, clinical and analytical. The P9 sound more like that old silver stereo your parents had. You can really fall in love with that, because its' sound signature is completely different from most of what i heard elsewere. Oh, and did i mention the soundstage? The P9 has not the largest of soundstages, but still way large enough. And i really, really like the imaging. The instruments and sounds are postitioned rather 3-Dimensional - but somewhat still intimate. I can't really describe it better, but combined with the warm and detailed (!) sound, this makes the P9 unique andy tasty. I can really recommend them. Get them used for a great price on ebay - AND - give them some time and a fair chance. After that, you won't be disappointed. I hope some more people can confirm my experiences. Either way, this needed to be said.

I was fortunate enough to spend time with the P9 before they were even released, and IIRC, our own review was actually the first in the world.

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/bowers-wilkins-p9-signature-headphones-review

We all have our own opinions, but mine and the reviewer (Jensy) clearly are completely opposite to that reviewer.
They are stunning to hold in-hand, and the quality and workmanship oozes. A touch heavy as a result, yes, but they weren't designed for travel or on-the-go. These are a signature/flagship headphone designed for in-home use. They were a touch tight on my large head to start with, but the clamp strength eased over time.

As for the hard plastic earcup, well if there clamping on your head hard enough to feel that insert you must have an insanely large head. The discomfort alone of the clamping force would stop you well before you'd feel that plastic insert! 

As for sound, they need time to break in! I doubt/wonder if that reviewer gave them any time at all. Also what did he use to drive them?

They remain, for me, a headphone I could comfortably listen to all day long and remain in my own arsenal of higher-end headphones.

The point, take ALL reviews, good and bad, with a grain of salt if you wish. For all we know he asked for a sample and was denied and had to source a pair at RRP and is disgruntled, or who knows? But, the only way to really know is to audition a pair in store, and ensure they've had loads of hours on them.

There's nothing wrong with the P9, except the price which for many would be prohibitive, but not as expensive as many they are in the same class as.

• Like 3

Guest Peter the Greek

My first test for these things is comfort and my benchmark to date has been the QC35's. It seems universally agreed the P9 is a lot less comfortable by comparison. Its a shame I find the QC35's "dull"

....aggh this is annoying. I'm starting to think a pair of CIEM's would be a better solution for me...and that isn't a cheap option from the look of it....

I need to hot foot it down to Sydney to listen to some

Thanks all for the discussion.

The QC35 is dull. I don't enjoy their sound at all. But the NC is top notch and the comfort and build quality are good. And can't expect much of something with a DAC and Amplifier squished into one of the cups and run off a battery hey.

Do you mind what they look like? Or isolation, comfort and sound quality the main things to satisfy?

Guest Peter the Greek
2 hours ago, Bengineer said:

The QC35 is dull. I don't enjoy their sound at all. But the NC is top notch and the comfort and build quality are good. And can't expect much of something with a DAC and Amplifier squished into one of the cups and run off a battery hey.

Do you mind what they look like? Or isolation, comfort and sound quality the main things to satisfy?

Looks don't bother me so much. 

My current arrangement is a cheapish pair of Sennheiser buds. 

I had liked the appeal of an over ear model, but I think in hindsight the in ears are better for me. No heat issues and more portable etc

I use the qc35s at home a little, but as I say, I find them dull. Super comfortable though, which is why I got them for my daughter. 

Comfort and SQ are paramount

Guest Peter the Greek
11 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Size? And what do you run them off?

Phones, laptops etc - I want to get one of those dragonfly dacs at some point

size?

• 3 weeks later...

They seem pretty polarising but I really like the sound - lovely and warm, good amount of bass if that's your thing. I got them via QFF points too. Having said that, thinking about selling as wireless noise-cancelling cans are more practical for my purposes.