Sign in to follow this  
old bloke

FS: Bespoke JBL speakers

11 minutes ago, old bloke said:

Golly gosh.....getting the components out is not easy...this thing is seriously overbuillt.

If you remove the crossover from the rear and shine a torch, you may be able to i.d. the compression driver.  It may help show how the 2405 tweeter is crossed over, too.

So, you're getting there;

-tweeter 2405

-midrange acoustic lens 2310 with almost certainly 2309 horn, compression driver to be determined

-bass driver 2215

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tygersmoke said:

If you remove the crossover from the rear and shine a torch, you may be able to i.d. the compression driver.  It may help show how the 2405 tweeter is crossed over, too.

So, you're getting there;

-tweeter 2405

-midrange acoustic lens 2310 with almost certainly 2309 horn, compression driver to be determined

-bass driver 2215

You have done very well!!! Tweeter correct 2405
The horn is 2309
There is a connector between compression driver and horn...2327 
Woofer 2215
Compression driver 2420
Cannot see a number on the lens. Wil upload some pics
I suppose now would like ideas on what they are worth...as I said that $5000 was just to meet conditions of posting. Have had an offer oof $1300 but think they are worth more than that. The big double thickness cabinet  really adds something etra to the sound.

015.JPG

001.JPG

011.JPG

013.JPG

012.JPG

008.JPG

014.JPG

Edited by old bloke
Add more pictures t assist identification

5 hours ago, old bloke said:

You have done very well!!! Tweeter correct 2405
The horn is 2309
There is a connector between compression driver and horn...2327 
Woofer 2215
Compression driver 2420

A quick scan around shows the 2405's could be ~$700; the 2420/2309/2310 (I didn't look for the 2327) combos could be ~$900 and the woofers might be $800. No idea what the crossover is (3110/3115/3120?), but I'm guessing the 3115 likely, as that would be at 800Hz. But no idea what the tweeter/mid crossover is or even if there is one. The crossovers are wildly varying in second hand price ($400-$1400/pr).

Bearing in mind that they all look to be in great condition and that these might be either a bit high or a bit low.

I was fascinated that the 2310 lens seems to come in 3 or 4 different shapes, with the one on these speakers being the most complex of them.

Not in the market unless a lottery beckons, but they sure look like something I could retire with!

13 hours ago, Cloth Ears said:

A quick scan around shows the 2405's could be ~$700; the 2420/2309/2310 (I didn't look for the 2327) combos could be ~$900 and the woofers might be $800. No idea what the crossover is (3110/3115/3120?), but I'm guessing the 3115 likely, as that would be at 800Hz. But no idea what the tweeter/mid crossover is or even if there is one. The crossovers are wildly varying in second hand price ($400-$1400/pr).

Bearing in mind that they all look to be in great condition and that these might be either a bit high or a bit low.

I was fascinated that the 2310 lens seems to come in 3 or 4 different shapes, with the one on these speakers being the most complex of them.

Not in the market unless a lottery beckons, but they sure look like something I could retire with!

Thankyou so much for ging to all that trouble.  Are those prices per item or for a pair?

On 06/08/2019 at 5:47 PM, kelossus said:

You need to find what model each driver is. The only one easily identifiable is the 2405 slot tweeter. The woofer looks a little odd to me.

Just not enough information to gauge their potential worth. They are a 3-way speaker but I only see a 2-way crossover. Either the tweeter is running full-range or maybe there is another network somewhere internally?

I doubt the cabinets are going to be worth much even if they are superior to the original L300's. They are still DIY speakers.

I don't want to come across as white-anting this classified but the seller has asked for opinions regarding their worth. Put it this way, you could buy a genuine pair of L300's for less.

Hi...would  you mind having a look at the pics of the components I have put up so as to give me an idea of what I have so I can get a better estimate f a fair price. Be much appreciated..

On 06/08/2019 at 5:47 PM, kelossus said:

You need to find what model each driver is. The only one easily identifiable is the 2405 slot tweeter. The woofer looks a little odd to me.

Just not enough information to gauge their potential worth. They are a 3-way speaker but I only see a 2-way crossover. Either the tweeter is running full-range or maybe there is another network somewhere internally?

I doubt the cabinets are going to be worth much even if they are superior to the original L300's. They are still DIY speakers.

I don't want to come across as white-anting this classified but the seller has asked for opinions regarding their worth. Put it this way, you could buy a genuine pair of L300's for less.

Hi...would  you mind having a look at the pics of the components I have put up so as to give me an idea of what I have so I can get a better estimate f a fair price. Be much appreciated..

1 hour ago, old bloke said:

Thankyou so much for ging to all that trouble.  Are those prices per item or for a pair?

I looked at pricing for pairs. Sometimes I found one item, sometimes more than one. The woofer/midrange crossover on the back is a guesstimate, as those three (3110/3115/3120) all look the same from the outside. I couldn't find anything on the horn adapter (2327). And it's a bit of a mystery how the 2420 midrange and the 2405 tweeter are crossed (if they are at all).

The other thing to bear in mind is that these are separate prices and not everyone will want all the elements at once, unless they want the complete pair of speakers. 

Posted (edited)

have a look at the photo of the 2405 slot,there is a filter of some kind connected to the tweeter on the left hand side.

Edited by ray4410

5 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

have a look at the photo of the 2405 slot,there is a filter of some kind connected to the tweeter on the left hand side.

Oh no! Have screwed it al back together again! However I do recall a gizmo there. Sort of spool with copper wires wound around and maybe a few transistor thingies (You can see the extent of my electrical knowledge here!!!) It was a ittlle oodd in that it looked glued to the carcass/front panel with this waxy looking substance.

Posted (edited)

As Ray said there appears to be a HPF on the tweeter.

Cloth Ears estimates are in the ball park. I doubt the Crossovers are worth anything remotely near $400-$1400. They are extremely simple and contain very few components.

The cabinets will be a hard sell regardless of how well they are built. They are not factory JBL's.

The drivers when pieced together as a 3-way is an peculiar combination and I think you will get more interest separating all the drivers.

Edited by kelossus

Splitting the pairs is a bad idea unless one is broken.

This has been a most rewarding and informative thread and I thank all those who have contributed. 
I do want to respond  to the idea that the best value is obtained by breaking the speakers  down and selling the individual components as the cabinets have no real value. 
Firstly...if you read QUIET PLEASE LISTEN he confirms the provenance of the speakers from JB. They were made by JBL. A private commission. I suggest the veneer and  construction of them is superior to their retail range.  
Also ...if you just sell the components..well you will need to build cabinets to house them. Doesnt really make sense to me.
Having said that I would like them to go where they are appreciated and used. 
It is important to focus on on the most important aspect...they sound truely stunning.
In light of what has been revealed I think a price of $5000 is a reasonable but I need them moved so would take $3500

Horns and tweeters don't really need housing..........(except for positioning and balance)....................hence the possible higher return on components.

I did not mean split the drivers and sell each of them individually. Sell them in pairs but broken down into categories; woofers, horns, compression drivers, tweeters etc.

The cabinets were certainly not made by JBL. They have never offered this service. Quiet Please Listen's post does not mention them being built by JBL. Only states they were custom built but not by whom. Likely Aranmar acoustics. I highly doubt JBL would screw a front baffle on like that.

On 06/08/2019 at 3:29 PM, gat474 said:

For those who don't know John Barbuto is JB of JB hifi.  He had all sorts of JBL's back in the day and a few years ago he was still having cabinets made by Aranmar Acoustics for his JBL collection. 

I was just about to ask is that the famous John Barbuto who built an empire.    I worked with JB in 1984 at the original JB HiFi in Centreway East Keilor.   Truly wonderful man.

On xmas eve around 85, I remember walking across the Centreway park from store to bank carrying a brown paper bag wth $100,000 in cold hard cash.    Not a bad few days takings. 😄

Regards Cazzesman

Glad to hear JB is still with us. 👍.  He’s probably equally as happy 😄

Regards Cazzesman