FS: Bespoke JBL speakers

As Ray said there appears to be a HPF on the tweeter.

Cloth Ears estimates are in the ball park. I doubt the Crossovers are worth anything remotely near $400-$1400. They are extremely simple and contain very few components.

The cabinets will be a hard sell regardless of how well they are built. They are not factory JBL's.

The drivers when pieced together as a 3-way is an peculiar combination and I think you will get more interest separating all the drivers.

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 2

This has been a most rewarding and informative thread and I thank all those who have contributed. 
I do want to respond  to the idea that the best value is obtained by breaking the speakers  down and selling the individual components as the cabinets have no real value. 
Firstly...if you read QUIET PLEASE LISTEN he confirms the provenance of the speakers from JB. They were made by JBL. A private commission. I suggest the veneer and  construction of them is superior to their retail range.  
Also ...if you just sell the components..well you will need to build cabinets to house them. Doesnt really make sense to me.
Having said that I would like them to go where they are appreciated and used. 
It is important to focus on on the most important aspect...they sound truely stunning.
In light of what has been revealed I think a price of $5000 is a reasonable but I need them moved so would take $3500

I did not mean split the drivers and sell each of them individually. Sell them in pairs but broken down into categories; woofers, horns, compression drivers, tweeters etc.

The cabinets were certainly not made by JBL. They have never offered this service. Quiet Please Listen's post does not mention them being built by JBL. Only states they were custom built but not by whom. Likely Aranmar acoustics. I highly doubt JBL would screw a front baffle on like that.

On 06/08/2019 at 3:29 PM, gat474 said:

For those who don't know John Barbuto is JB of JB hifi.  He had all sorts of JBL's back in the day and a few years ago he was still having cabinets made by Aranmar Acoustics for his JBL collection. 

I was just about to ask is that the famous John Barbuto who built an empire.    I worked with JB in 1984 at the original JB HiFi in Centreway East Keilor.   Truly wonderful man.

On xmas eve around 85, I remember walking across the Centreway park from store to bank carrying a brown paper bag wth $100,000 in cold hard cash.    Not a bad few days takings. ?

Regards Cazzesman

3 hours ago, kelossus said:

I did not mean split the drivers and sell each of them individually. Sell them in pairs but broken down into categories; woofers, horns, compression drivers, tweeters etc.

The cabinets were certainly not made by JBL. They have never offered this service. Quiet Please Listen's post does not mention them being built by JBL. Only states they were custom built but not by whom. Likely Aranmar acoustics. I highly doubt JBL would screw a front baffle on like that.

I can only  go on what I have been told ...and now in a few private PMs. The guy had serious wealth (apparently!) and that stuff can talk.
Were Aranmar around in 79/80? 
While I understand where you are coming from(and appreciate your  input) I am hesitant to  break them up as I like their historical connection to two pioneers of Australian Hi fi industry. 

3 hours ago, kelossus said:

• Like 1

On 08/08/2019 at 5:39 PM, kelossus said:

As Ray said there appears to be a HPF on the tweeter.

Cloth Ears estimates are in the ball park. I doubt the Crossovers are worth anything remotely near $400-$1400. They are extremely simple and contain very few components.

The cabinets will be a hard sell regardless of how well they are built. They are not factory JBL's.

The drivers when pieced together as a 3-way is an peculiar combination and I think you will get more interest separating all the drivers.

Hi kelossus,

For the crossovers, I only had a quick look through eBay and found some pairs of the three crossovers I mentioned. Some were in worse condition and some were in better condition (visually only). The prices I mentioned were the asking prices for the pair. As Darryl Kerrigan was wont to say - "Tell him he's dreaming". But those were the asking prices (in Aussie$ converted from US$). So, no relevance to the real world - but just quoting some advertised prices.

I'm with the old bloke, it would be a shame to have to split up what appears to be an interesting departure from the standard JBL 3-way. But the option is out there...

• Like 1