Recommendation for 2ch amp for Wharfedale linton heritage speakers.

Hi guys,

Just looking for some advice on matching a 2ch stereo amp for Wharfedale Linton heritage speakers that i have just purchased. 

One amp in mind is the Cambridge Audio 851A or the Yamaha S2100.

Much appreciated help welcome. 

Within a budget of $5,000.

Edited by BigDee
Adding budget

1 hour ago, BigDee said:

Hi guys,

Just looking for some advice on matching a 2ch stereo amp for Wharfedale Linton heritage speakers that i have just purchased. 

A shameless plug I know, but I have a Musical Fidelity M5si in mint condition, 9 months old with original everything and can ship easily to Melbourne. PM me if interested or for more details.

4 hours ago, deanB said:

@Cafad had an ATC SIA2-150 integrated for sale. Ad has expired but it may still be available. A big slice of quality for the money. 

Another vote for the hard to find ATC, nicest ss integrated I have listened to and sq wise far above the Yamaha or Cambridge that you are considering. If I was in the market for another ss integrated amp this would be at the top of my list.

cheers Terry

11 hours ago, BigDee said:

Hi guys,

Will depend on what styles of music are your favourites BigDee.  The 851A is a nicely warm amp with a large presence, the S2100 (assuming it's similar to the previous model) is cooler but with nice detail and rhythm.   If you are after larger scale dynamics in your music then the ATC will leave both of those for dead.

Hi Cafad,

Appreciate the advice, my music tastes goes from the Game Of Thrones soundtrack to a music production company called Two Steps From Hell, they do soundtracks for movies such as the Pirates of the Caribbean. 

70s and 80s  Al Stewart  Year Of The Cat 

• 2 weeks later...

It would be remiss of me not to throw my own shameless plug into this thread.

I'm selling my Densen B175 integrated which comes with an upgraded Densen 1NRG power supply.  It also has the optional MM phono stage module. 

The amplifier retails for $12K in its current configuration.

Here's a LINK for the  Densen B175 sans Power Supply and Phone Stage.

I suspect the Wharfdale's would have somewhat of laid back classic BBC control monitor type tonality. The Densen has pace, rhythm and timing for days and I would imagine provide a wonderful synergy. 

I paid $5K for it at the start of the year. I'll let it go for $4K if you're interested.

• Like 1

On 5 August 2019 at 4:32 PM, BigDee said:

Hi guys,

New new lintons just released or old ones ? 

Edited by cafe67

• 2 months later...

I have just bought some Linton's too. Great sound for the money and easy on my old man ears!

I went to the HIFI show last weekend and listened to the Harbeth 30.2 monitors which have  a similar sound. 

They were powered by class d amplifiers offered by an australian company March audio.

Not too expensive and sounded great. Probably provided a bit more life and colour to the traditional conservative British sound. Might be worth a look.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...