Luxman R-1050 receiver wow

A few months back I purchased this unit from a fellow member for my study. It’s been happily running a set of IMF Super Compacts fed from a Chromecast.

Shortly after purchasing I had the Luxman fully recapped and a general tidy up a few transistors etc.

A friend is currently borrowing the IMF so the other day I thought it might be fun to run it in my main system for a few days and was quite staggered at its capability and sonic signature running my Tannoy HPD’s. The inbuilt phono stage is no slouch either compared to my GSP Accession.

Anyone else using one of these older Luxmans? They seem a bit of a sleeper amongst their much treasured Marantz / Pioneer brethren. Some pics :)

bf9f87a84d6efc56bd4034c655f98d54.jpg3119480396cc31824b79bc240f74f0ea.jpg4b5b81024414b2a99c277fc2fa92ad83.jpg

• Like 9

Luxman built quality gear, i would put it well above the pioneer and a toss up with the marantz of that era. When vintage gear is refurbished to/close to original specs, makes one wonder about new gear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wen said:

Luxman built quality gear, i would put it well above the pioneer and a toss up with the marantz of that era. When vintage gear is refurbished to/close to original specs, makes one wonder about new gear.

Agreed. Plus I think HPD's compliment a lot of amps ?

Not saying anything negative against the Luxman, but the HPD's are great speakers in that regard :0)

• Like 1

Currently recapping etc... it's little brother, the R-1030, though I don't have high hopes, the R-1050 is the one to get. Also tinkering with a Sansui 5050, ok it's only mid of their product range, I've certainly got better amps but the 5050 is enjoyable...

• Like 1

Currently recapping etc... it's little brother, the R-1030, though I don't have high hopes, the R-1050 is the one to get. Also tinkering with a Sansui 5050, ok it's only mid of their product range, I've certainly got better amps but the 5050 is enjoyable...

I’ll be keen to know how you go with the R-1030 looks like a cracker small integrated :)

I’ve always wanted a Sansui AU-555 for fun but space is limited :)
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have an uncapped 1050r running imf super compacts. Beautiful smooth and solid lower mids. Can listen to it all day. I find its a little slow on the kick drum and separation could be better with faster rock... but it needs a recapp. I found it much better than a heavily upgraded yamaha a500. The luxman just has the guts in the low mids and smooth syrupy highs. Opposite to the dry and glaring yamaha. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I sold mine about 9 months ago after moving house. Just didn’t have the space for it. Lovely amp and I miss it sometimes although it was generally only a standby. 

• Like 1