The Puffin DSP phono pre-amp

Just updated to the Beta version. Now to spin some records.

Now that I’ve got 4 days off work I can start configuring some settings for my monos. I’ve tended to do it on the fly because it’s fun, but some defaults for particular carts and types of pressings would be useful. I’ve got some very noisy microgrooves, so it will be interesting to see how good I can get them.

Can you use the ‘null’ setting to identify cart alignment issues? I’ll give it a go.

• Like 1

I need to update again as another feature has been added 

Quote - 

Beta C firmware has been released.

Changes:
-Added DeRumble function (200Hz/12dB)
-Added RoomEQ function (de-mud cut filter: -6dB Q=2.6 at preset frequencies)
-Doubled the Volume settings with finer adj resolution
-Updated Levels to include tenths dB resolution for azimuth adjustment
-Fixed 'Set?' preset loading noise pop (I think?)

http://www.parksaudiollc.com/V120betaC.zip

DeRumble is a true rumble filter using the Macaulay Method of summing the low bass to eliminate out-of-phase vertical rumble from the turntable. 

http://www.parksaudiollc.com/macaulay.jpg

RoomEQ compensates for the room's main resonance that ends up muddying the bass. Just roll with 300Hz or use a free octave RTA on your phone and the Puffin's fx:PinkNoise to find where it is located in your listening space. The RTA apps usually have peak search on as default, so couldn't be easier. I staggered OFFs between the different frequencies (200Hz to 400Hz) so that you could switch back and forth (before and after).

Lots of changes, so be on the look out for bugs. I think the major changes/additions are over at this point.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bell Ringer said:

Looks like I should have waited a day. I got one of my very noisy records sounding pretty good yesterday.

I thought the grading feature was spot on.

As we are house bound it’s a nice distraction to update and test 

Easy way to pass away the home detention time 

• 2 months later...

Just ordered one from the US of A.  Shannon Parks responded to my email within 10 mins.  Hows that for service! :)   Question to @Bell Ringer, @Full Range - are you both using a linear psu with your Puffin's or just the bog standard one that came with it?  I'm thinking of getting a 12vdc to run it. ifi psu.

Edited by Porkbuns69
  • Like 1

@Porkbuns69I'm just using the one supplied. Not sure if it's worth the extra $ in my case. It's not my main phono stage, just for my monos and 78s, and they tend to be in ordinary condition so I probably wouldn't hear any benefits of an upgraded power supply.

Probably people online that have. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bell Ringer said:

@Porkbuns69I'm just using the one supplied. Not sure if it's worth the extra $ in my case. It's not my main phono stage, just for my monos and 78s, and they tend to be in ordinary condition so I probably wouldn't hear any benefits of an upgraded power supply.

Probably people online that have. 

Thanks @Bell Ringer - i'll get one to try it out with and without.  I dont think it will make much of a diff but who knows.

1 hour ago, Porkbuns69 said:

Just ordered one from the US of A.  Shannon Parks responded to my email within 10 mins.  Hows that for service! :)   Question to @Bell Ringer, @Full Range - are you both using a linear psu with your Puffin's or just the bog standard one that came with it?  I'm thinking of getting a 12vdc to run it. ifi psu.

I use the supplied power supply 

• 2 weeks later...

Mine arrived yesterday from the USofA.  Well packed and felt and looked well built.  I didnt use the incl 12vdc smps psu, instead plugged in a spare ifi 12vdc psu along with the ifi DC purifier 2 at the end of it.  Had a good listen last night and compared it to my Schiit Mani in MM mode and at 44db gain out to my MC SUT (vintage sowther transformers).  As good as the Mani is at its price point, but the Puffin had more texture, warmth and tone to the sound over the Mani.  Mani had more bass depth.   Havent played around with the settings yet, so just running it as is.  The Puffin is quiet...very quiet, reminded me how similar it was to the ifi iPhono 2's noise floor that i had recently.   So far all good, looking forward to clocking in some hours on it with more albums played over the weekend. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Porkbuns69 said:

Mine arrived yesterday from the USofA.  Well packed and felt and looked well built.  I didnt use the incl 12vdc smps psu, instead plugged in a spare ifi 12vdc psu along with the ifi DC purifier 2 at the end of it.  Had a good listen last night and compared it to my Schiit Mani in MM mode and at 44db gain out to my MC SUT (vintage sowther transformers).  As good as the Mani is at its price point, but the Puffin had more texture, warmth and tone to the sound over the Mani.  Mani had more bass depth.   Havent played around with the settings yet, so just running it as is.  The Puffin is quiet...very quiet, reminded me how similar it was to the ifi iPhono 2's noise floor that i had recently.   So far all good, looking forward to clocking in some hours on it with more albums played over the weekend. 

Have a play around with the many settings and you will find a spot that suits your system and listening preferences 

Try out the Magic setting and see how much quieter noisy records become 

And post your spins in the vinyl spinning thread 

• Like 1

Wow the 2H tube fx is unreal!! Definately keeping that one on. Magic setting definately works, smooths out the pops and crackles. Still cant get over how good acoustic guitar sounds..lots of air, tone.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Porkbuns69 said:

Wow the 2H tube fx is unreal!! Definately keeping that one on. Magic setting definately works, smooths out the pops and crackles. Still cant get over how good acoustic guitar sounds..lots of air, tone.

It's so revealing to be able to dial in the 2nd harmonics. 

I have always built valve phono preamps, and line preamps, and use them in all my systems.  But it isn't easy to set up a simple way to switch between and SS preamps smoothly with no delay.  When you do, the sweetness is so obvious.   

• Like 1

On 27/06/2020 at 8:02 AM, aussievintage said:

It's so revealing to be able to dial in the 2nd harmonics. 

I have always built valve phono preamps, and line preamps, and use them in all my systems.  But it isn't easy to set up a simple way to switch between and SS preamps smoothly with no delay.  When you do, the sweetness is so obvious.   

Agreed! looking forward to see how your build goes..keep up the good work!

This thread has me interested in a Puffin.  The only thing holding me back is the DAC used in it, I'm not sure it is quite good enough.  Even if you opt for the COAX output option it downscales to Redbook, kind of defeating the purpose of high definition output.  Some people are vey happy with it, others say that it does not quite sound right and has a narrow sound stage. I guess the only way I'll know is if I pull the trigger on one.   

1 hour ago, nkoulban said:Even if you opt for the COAX output option it downscales to Redbook, kind of defeating the purpose of high definition output.  Some people are vey happy with it, others say that it does not quite sound right and has a narrow sound stage. I guess the only way I'll know is if I pull the trigger on one.   

Says 24/96 in the manual.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/06/2020 at 8:47 PM, Porkbuns69 said:

When funds permit. Clay makes awesome linear psu's.

My Puffin arrived yesterday. Fun settings that make a real change. 

my first thought was a Clay 12v LPS.  I contacted Parks to ask if an LPS was worth it, he said it will make no difference as the noise floor is maxed with the supplied power supply. 

The supplied Switchmode PS is 12v 1.6A. I had a hospital biomed switchmode PS 12v 4.2A with the same plug lying around which I’m using on the Puffin. 

if a 12v Kraftwerk comes up in the classifieds I may be tempted tho.