SOLD: FS: Rotel RB-985 [SYD]

SOLD

Item: Rotel RB-985
Price: $300 pickup only
Item Condition: Fair cosmetics, fully working
Reason for selling: Upgraded
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash
Extra Info:

One channel on this amp stopped working so I used that as an excuse for an upgrade, turns out it just needed a fuse. (Each channel has two fuses in the DC supply rails.) So it's working again, I've tested all channels today and they're working properly.

Too large and heavy to ship, pickup/meet w/ cash only please and priced accordingly. Depending on where you are in Sydney I can probably arrange to meet you half-way.

Please note that these amps were produced from 1995 to 1998 so it's over 20 years old.

Thanks for looking, please feel free to ask any questions in this thread and reserve PMs to arrange actual purchase.

Photos:

DSCF9866.JPG.0255f3b8f88010ebdb9b3c41c714696a.JPG

DSCF9867.JPG.93b6c827f0757f899eaa56730e1dd635.JPG

DSCF9868.JPG.faf40993bc36b9bda0a324f5fe154b9a.JPG

Edited by john.reekie
Pictures mixed in with text

Hi Steve, no worries at all. They are a bit hard to get to in this amp as the left and right power supplies are mounted behind the front panel (vertically) and it's a squeeze to get to the lower pair of fuses on each side. (Helps to have an assistant with small fingers!)

Their newer amps may be easier e.g. I know the RMB-1066 has a single central (horizontal) board with all three power supplies on it, and the fuses are easy to access.

Which amp do you have? I think the best thing to do is just pop the lid and locate the fuses.

Edited by john.reekie

It may not be the fuses but it can't hurt to check. If this is the right picture, it looks as though the power supply fuses are on either side of the bank of capacitors in the middle -

rmb-1048-1-rotel.jpg

BTW you did do this (from the manual) - "Turn off the system and wait for the amp to cool. Then push the front panel power switch in and out to reset the protection devices. "?

Edited by john.reekie

Hey mate, I have one of these amps paired with a 990bx for mains, these things are beast! 

I may know a potential buyer, he's currently in the process of joing up to the forum. I have a couple of questions. 

1, when was it last serviced?

2, were the caps replaced? 

3, was the glue holding the caps down, removed and replaced? 

Steve. 

• Like 1

Hi, sorry for the delayed response, I didn't have notifications turned on properly.

1. I don't know, but not while I've had it (three years).

2. I don't know, they are Jamicon 15,000 uF 63V.

3. No, it doesn't look it.

I can try taking some internal photos tomorrow if that would help - ?

Yeah that would be good, have you noticed any static or crackling in any of the channels? 

Yeah the glue degradation can cause it to be conductive and corrosive if left unchecked, easy way to tell is the glue will go dark (meant to be like a tan colour) can also eat at the traces and the cap legs. 

Sounds like it's had a service at some point though. But you remove the lid and get some photos. 

Cheers mate. 

This is the potential buyer @Muso84 lives about an hour away from you. 

I connected it back into my HT and watched a movie, left it on all night and used it again today. No crackling or static. I did have some in the previous system setup but I'm fairly sure that was the AVR.

Capacitator pics. On one side there is some brown residue, looks like these are probably original then?

... hm, they don't want to upload. You can see them here -> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4ad56imqykefj8h/AABz-dabiRR3H-He8fottaVya?dl=0