Sign in to follow this  
Rob V

Sonus faber Owners & Discussion Thread

The bizarrest thread ever about SF. 

I can remember listening at Vince Ross  to the original extrema (with the bass radiaditor) hooked to a complete nakamichi 7 system in the early 90's sounded brilliant amazing sound from standmounts. 

More recently ive heard the SF hooked up to mcintosh at the midland WC hifi.  Again a good sound

I’m interested to hear more about the various SF models from past and present owners, hopefully this thread can get back on track now. 

cheers Terry

Probably should have just stopped there.... Stradivari & MC 2301's . I wouldn't stray from the Franco Serblin design imo.

Soulution2301Strads1_zpsedae5d43.jpg

Edited by bzr

The strads are, hands down, my favourite speaker I’ve ever heard. I worked at Encel through the aughts through the introduction and the revision of the Cremona line, the revision of the Guarneri and Amatis and, of course the introduction of the strads. I uncrated and set up the first pair to come to Australia and I didn’t leave the shop until super late that night because I couldn’t pull myself away from them. 

I’ve owned 2 pairs of Sonus Fabers myself but I haven’t fallen in love with anything released after the strads. I’m sure they’re objectively great speakers but once Serblin wasn’t involved they ceased to have much attraction to me. The later models just didn’t do it for me and the high end stuff went from being the simplest possible design made incredibly beautifully to this full-on high tech behemoth (aria?). Again, I’m sure it’s awesome but it doesn’t say Sonus Faber to me. No shade to people who love them, they just stopped rocking my boat.

Ironically, I don’t love the look of his own line of speakers so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

On 08/09/2019 at 8:40 AM, TerryO said:

I’m interested to hear more about the various SF models from past and present owners

I am at the bottom of the chain here but feel compelled to comment on the cheaper variety they make now. I have a pair of Chamelon T's which are the budget floor standers compared to the speakers discussed here. They should not be dismissed as not all of us can ever own the beautiful things the Sonus Faber company has produced. The T's can sound really nice with a bit of power for the money compared to other speakers around the same price! They seem to enjoy lots of power currently getting lots of class A.

Of course I lust after the beauties spoken about above but can be happy where I am unless powerball happens.

Happy listening.

Edited by Hazzzy

On a whim I just bought a pair of SF Grand Pianos.

They look great and were cheap(ish) plus I have very fond memories of my SF Concertos, the first ‘high end’ speakers I ever owned.

They actually hold up very well against my ultra-modern KEF R3s, both sonically and in measurements.

It’s a different kind of sound, closer to the lively PMCs I also auditioned recently than the more neutral KEF. But very enjoyable.

My wife has a thing against floor standers, but she also likes leather so we’ll see what her response is when she gets back from holiday.

:)