4 minutes ago, Full Range said:

If you are looking for an outstanding vintage TT

Look at the EMT 

Idler - 927 or 930 

Or

EMT - 938 or 948 

Basic info on this link on the models I have noted plus info of other models 

https://www.fabtech.de/en_emt-turntables_index.html

I had looked at the 927 when I looked at the L75's but they are just crazy money now....like AU$50k-$70k...and older than me (not that that matters).  If I was to spend that sort of moola it would be on something newer I think.  Thanks for the tip though.

16 minutes ago, acg said:

From what I've heard of Continuum I can't afford them...unless they offer something I am not aware of.  

EDIT:  Just checked the website....is it the Obsidian you heard or the earlier Caliburn?

Caliburn. Quite a few times too. Maybe second hand, but they are pretty rare. Fremer has one and I thought he maybe changing.

11 minutes ago, acg said:

I had looked at the 927 when I looked at the L75's but they are just crazy money now....like AU$50k-$70k...and older than me (not that that matters).  If I was to spend that sort of moola it would be on something newer I think.  Thanks for the tip though.

Then you need to to email this fellow 

https://www.jpvanvliet.nl/Sale.html

2 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Then you need to to email this fellow 

https://www.jpvanvliet.nl/Sale.html

Yes, there would be no change from AU$110k once the extras and GST and shipping are paid on that fellow.

9 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Caliburn. Quite a few times too. Maybe second hand, but they are pretty rare. Fremer has one and I thought he maybe changing.

There is a Caliburn for sale currenlty on Audiogon which equates to $115k by the time it gets here.   I wish my pockets were that deep... 

@acg loved your speaker/amp build on the diy thread. Why not build a TT? 

Your skills are next level.

sorry if id missed something said earlier about non diy

3 minutes ago, Andrews_melb said:

@acg loved your speaker/amp build on the diy thread. Why not build a TT? 

Your skills are next level.

sorry if id missed something said earlier about non diy

It's the time issue this year.  Work is insane and will be for the foreseeable future and I just wanna play some records.

Ok, so the list so far is as follows, in no particular order:

• Helix 2
  • Kuzma Stabi M
  • Brinkmann Balance

Not sure if anything else should be on there.  Trying to find safe bets, but it seems like I'm picking the usual suspects.

I really like the Kuzma because it comes with a lid!  Of all the things to like about a table...well if it keeps refusing to rain here I'll need something to keep the dust off.

Posted (edited)

Thanks to all that contributed to the thread. 

The decision has now been made and I can get on with things in the real world without researching turntables...and I will be actually able to spin some records instead of just buying them to look at!

EDIT:  A Lenco L75 or two will come up for sale in the classifieds soon.

Edited by acg

Posted (edited)

If I were the OP I would try and listen to a few turntables starting at a Rega P8 and moving up  in price (Kuzma, Brinkmann) to see if there is a need to spend AUS$50k., and if any of them are an improvement over an idler tt.

Edited by antonio66

4 hours ago, antonio66 said:

If I were the OP I would try and listen to a few turntables starting at a Rega P8 and moving up  in price (Kuzma, Brinkmann) to see if there is a need to spend AUS$50k., and if any of them are an improvement over an idler tt.

Yeah, nice in theory, but where do you find all these different tables in one room?  I don't know anywhere that has say a Helix next to a Kuzma Stabi M next to a Brinkmann Balance next to a P8 next to a...

Listening to different turntables  with different arms and different cartridges and different phonostages in different rooms and different systems at different times is so fraught with danger when making a decision like this it may as well be lucky dip.  I've heard some decent turntables that have sounded good...I've heard some inexpensive turntables that can sound very compelling...as far as I  know I have not heard the tables in which I am actually interested.

To audition them means taking a couple of days off work, flying across the country three or four or five times before I make a decision.  Or I can just stay at work for those ten days, make the $$$, don't spend the $$ on flights and accomodation and car hire which all adds up to a big percentage of the cost of most of these tables and just buy the table that compells me the most conceptually.  In the end I have chosen to invest in a person rather than a table per se and am very confident that between he and I we can get this new table sounding like it needs to sound in my setup.  In fact I am very confident...plus I also get to meet my deadlines at work, and keep my clients happy and also am not away from my young family.

I fully understand your situation, great distances to travel, not able to hear the tt's at the same demonstration.  Maybe there are a couple of members on this forum who would let you come round for a listen, even if the tt's aren't on your list. My comment was in trying to help you get back into vinyl, and at what level you would be happy with. 50k is a hell of a lot, even if you can afford it. ☺️

On 06/08/2019 at 5:03 PM, acg said:

Thanks to all that contributed to the thread. 

The decision has now been made and I can get on with things in the real world without researching turntables...and I will be actually able to spin some records instead of just buying them to look at!

EDIT:  A Lenco L75 or two will come up for sale in the classifieds soon.

Which one did you decide on? may I ask. I think in a lot of cases, you need to research reviews and feedback unfortunately in these cases over a year or so.

32 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Which one did you decide on? may I ask. I think in a lot of cases, you need to research reviews and feedback unfortunately in these cases over a year or so.

Yes, there is no certain result in analogue either through auditioning madly about the place or reading reviews and talking to people with more experience.  In the end I have purchased the one that I was drawn to early, for which I have a little technology crush, and is made in Australia.  It did help that all the press was good, almost worryingly too good, and I was able to talk to the designer and settle a few nagging thoughts and gauge the level of post-sale support that I can expect.  We talked about new inclusions to the table and I feel like the turntable question has been settled, like there is no better solution to my desires and requirements and that it will be an investment that repays for decades.  I can't think of a single turntable that more satisfies my requirement for simple aesthetics, innovative technology and sound engineering design.  That is why I chose the Helix 2.  I'll have it in September. 

3 hours ago, acg said:

That is why I chose the Helix 2.  I'll have it in September.

Sweet mate. Marks a lovely guy as well. He set the Continuum up that I was talking about.

2 hours ago, Wimbo said:

Sweet mate. Marks a lovely guy as well. He set the Continuum up that I was talking about.

Mark was the clincher.  Also, where possible I'll always try to support an Australian business.  Am also happy the purchase was made through a forum sponsor @Tivoli Hi-Fi.  Their service has been fantastic.

Posted (edited)

Excellent choice--and the best decision--Mark will pamper and make sure you get the best out of the table and the Arms you choose.

He is good friend--I spent an afternoon with him few months back while he was setting up a MinusK and ClearAudio setup here in Qld.

You are in capable hands--kudos!!!

Frank Schröder's arms are some of the finest out there I rate them highly--I've chatted to him on numerous occasions at Shows 

One of the hi-end's perfect gentlemen.

Good Listening,

Willco

Addendum!--I've just read elsewhere you have the Trans LT Arm from the UK--an old audio buddy of mine --Owen Young in Auckland is technical wizz with those -he posts here--maybe a chat and chew the fat?--he is really personable and always happy to share his knowledge.

Edited by Willco