Great sounding turntable recommendations

Am getting into vinyl.  Used to play on Mum's Pioneer deck when I was a kid of the 80's, but you know, perfect sound forever came along as well as starting to notice girls, riding motorbikes too fast, then university and then real life and finally onto self-employment and family and kids and all that.  Have always loved music, have half a room full of horn speakers, SET amps, an excellent digital setup, and have sporadically been putting together both a vinyl system and a vinyl collection of just the music that I love and some older classical performances that I wish to explore.  Original limit was 200 LP's because I did not want to clutter the room, bought 300...still going.  Oh well.

Problem is that I am yet to buy a turntable.  I did get a couple of vintage Lenco L75's to do up but just cannot see myself having the time to actually do it for quite a while.  I've made a couple of decent solid state phonostages and am assembling the parts for an all-out valve phono that uses an LCR filter.  Expensive as all getup but the sound should be worth it.  I also purchased a beautiful Ortofon MC Anna cartridge for a steal and an air bearing linear tracking tonearm.  But no turntable.  Lenco's are out due to time constraints, something off the shelf is now in flavour.

My room is upstairs and although the floor has been reinforced and is now very stable it is not perfect and neither is my rack.   You will notice in the photo below one of the Lenco's sitting atop the rack, the shelf is  110cm above the floor (the linear tracker is sitting on the Lenco dust cover).  Although not entirely shown, the Sansui TU-X1 on the shelf below is sitting on one of my diy anti-vibration devices that is very heavy, very heavily damped, and pneumatically sprung.  It isolates vibrations from the rack down to about 3Hz and I have made four of them.  One was not intended for a turntable, but I could build another easily enough if required...there is about a days work in one.

1326114231_L75onRack.jpg.a1a032bd4d30b4f927bd5c16c101da0b.jpg

Ideally though, I would prefer the isolation built into the turntable.

One table that has picqued my interest is the Dohmann Helix 2.  Vibration management built in, Aussie made and while affordable for me, I would prefer it to be less expensive (common story hey!). 

The Saskia 2 looks as sexy as hell, and supposedly sounds great, but the customs fees would cruel it as a realistic proposition.

So, I am looking for opinions and suggestions in this kind of space.  Anybody heard a Helix?  Or a Saskia?  Do you have better suggestions or advice?  I'm ready.

EDIT:  A used table is most definitely acceptable.  Anyone moving from Helix 2 to Helix 1 send me a PM?  haha.

Edited by acg
  • Like 1

Guest Misterioso

In my experience, mass turntables work better than suspended ones when your floor causes vibrations. The Helix, of course, is another matter and designed to deal with such vibrations. There are some extremely nice turntables for sale on SNA at this moment.

On 02/08/2019 at 11:25 AM, acg said:

One table that has picqued my interest is the Dohmann Helix 2.  Vibration management built in, Aussie made and while affordable for me, I would prefer it to be less expensive (common story hey!). 

Yep Dohmann and Techdas would be on my list of high end turntables.

my Current Michel Orbe SE does a good job with vibration management 

19 minutes ago, aertex said:

Anthony, have you thought about  Commonwealth idler in good operating comdition? Not mine, but a guy I know here in WA. Alan

Don't know why Alan, but I am partial to idler drive, hence the two Lenco's.  Your mates deck would need to be plug and play for me to think about it, otherwise it is just another project on the list. 

10 minutes ago, acg said:

Don't know why Alan, but I am partial to idler drive, hence the two Lenco's.  Your mates deck would need to be plug and play for me to think about it, otherwise it is just another project on the list. 

Have you considered the PTP Solid 12 given your like of idlers.

http://www.ptpaudio.com/solid12.html

Edited by Gryffles
added link
  • Love 1

Iv'e heard the Saskia ,Techdas and the Dohmann--albeit in Show conditions with my own Lp.

For what it's worth comparing/recalling  the above to my Simon Yorke and Shindo 301 back at home--

both mounted on the Minus K platform.

The Dohmann is easily the pick of the first three mentioned.

Good Luck,

Willco

Edited by Willco

21 minutes ago, Willco said:

Iv'e heard the Saskia ,Techdas and the Dohmann--albeit in Show conditions with my own Lp.

For what it's worth comparing/recalling  the above to my Simon Yorke and Shindo 301 back at home--

both mounted on the Minus K platform.

The Dohmann is easily the pick of the first three mentioned.

Good Luck,

Willco

Thanks Willco, it's as I suspected.  Which Simon Yorke do you have?  They are beautiful looking tables...real art.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, acg said:

Thanks Willco, it's as I suspected.  Which Simon Yorke do you have?  They are beautiful looking tables...real art.

Hi acg, I had an S9 temporary , as Simon was intending to make me an "improved "S10 he was working on but sadly he decided to close up shop and retire with his Spanish Winery. It was a fine simple table that delivered much Sonic enjoyment.

I auditioned a Brinkmann Bardo  to scratch an itch for one against it---

The SY was a def' keeper in that comparison ?!

Good Luck,

Willco

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

@acg I've heard the Helix 2 and the Continuum. I would have to say that of ALL the tables I've heard, the Continuum is leaps and bounds ahead of the rest.

From what I've heard of Continuum I can't afford them...unless they offer something I am not aware of.  

EDIT:  Just checked the website....is it the Obsidian you heard or the earlier Caliburn?

Edited by acg

4 minutes ago, Full Range said:

If you are looking for an outstanding vintage TT

Look at the EMT 

Idler - 927 or 930 

Or

EMT - 938 or 948 

Basic info on this link on the models I have noted plus info of other models 

https://www.fabtech.de/en_emt-turntables_index.html

I had looked at the 927 when I looked at the L75's but they are just crazy money now....like AU$50k-$70k...and older than me (not that that matters).  If I was to spend that sort of moola it would be on something newer I think.  Thanks for the tip though.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, acg said:

From what I've heard of Continuum I can't afford them...unless they offer something I am not aware of.  

EDIT:  Just checked the website....is it the Obsidian you heard or the earlier Caliburn?

Caliburn. Quite a few times too. Maybe second hand, but they are pretty rare. Fremer has one and I thought he maybe changing.

11 minutes ago, acg said:

I had looked at the 927 when I looked at the L75's but they are just crazy money now....like AU$50k-$70k...and older than me (not that that matters).  If I was to spend that sort of moola it would be on something newer I think.  Thanks for the tip though.

Then you need to to email this fellow 

https://www.jpvanvliet.nl/Sale.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Then you need to to email this fellow 

https://www.jpvanvliet.nl/Sale.html

Yes, there would be no change from AU$110k once the extras and GST and shipping are paid on that fellow.

9 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Caliburn. Quite a few times too. Maybe second hand, but they are pretty rare. Fremer has one and I thought he maybe changing.

There is a Caliburn for sale currenlty on Audiogon which equates to $115k by the time it gets here.   I wish my pockets were that deep... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Andrews_melb said:

@acg loved your speaker/amp build on the diy thread. Why not build a TT? 

Your skills are next level.

sorry if id missed something said earlier about non diy

It's the time issue this year.  Work is insane and will be for the foreseeable future and I just wanna play some records.

• Like 2

Ok, so the list so far is as follows, in no particular order:

• Helix 2
  • Kuzma Stabi M
  • Brinkmann Balance

Not sure if anything else should be on there.  Trying to find safe bets, but it seems like I'm picking the usual suspects.

I really like the Kuzma because it comes with a lid!  Of all the things to like about a table...well if it keeps refusing to rain here I'll need something to keep the dust off.

Thanks to all that contributed to the thread. 

The decision has now been made and I can get on with things in the real world without researching turntables...and I will be actually able to spin some records instead of just buying them to look at!

EDIT:  A Lenco L75 or two will come up for sale in the classifieds soon.

Edited by acg

If I were the OP I would try and listen to a few turntables starting at a Rega P8 and moving up  in price (Kuzma, Brinkmann) to see if there is a need to spend AUS$50k., and if any of them are an improvement over an idler tt.

Edited by antonio66