Acoustic sounds shipping prices?

What prices have people payed for shipping various numbers of LPs from AcousticSounds.com in the States? They’ve got a new release that I’m after that won’t be available elsewhere. Lasts time I was tempted to place an order, I recall they had an unhelpful service whereby you have to order, *then* get a bill with the shipping cost. Had to cancel that order...

Anyone payed for a single LP to be shipped from them?

I recently purchased an album from them that i really wanted and couldn't find anywhere else. ( Jimi Hendrix Axis Blood As Love. UHQR)

Like you was unable to see shipping cost until the bill was generated.

Shipping for ONE LP was $141.00 Au dollars. Ridiculous!

Edited by rob
spelling

This is very frustrating, and often typical of US companies. I’ve always noted that shipping within the States is dirt cheap, but evil outside the borders.

Thus, I commonly use Shipitto, and I am sure there are other reputable 3rd party shippers.  Consistently reasonable and very efficient.  Also allow you to buy stuff that is “for local markets only”......

• Like 1

you may want to pool with a couple of people as single orders will be expensive.  I recently bought a couple of batches from them 8 and 5 heavy records in two orders.  The 5 record order was about US$12 each and the 8 box was a bit over US$10 each record.  Most of the 8 record batch were 2xLP.  Shipping was fast with no damage.

You can tick add special instructions requesting a shipping quote before the order is processed.  I found the process seamless although 2 of the records are warped and it will be interesting to see how they process the return.

Edited by PKay

I recently purchased an album from them that i really wanted and couldn't find anywhere else. ( Jimi Hendrix Axis Blood As Love. UHQR)

Exactly. Atrocious! I had to let go an order of 6 because shipping amounted to something like 200aud.

This is very frustrating, and often typical of US companies. I’ve always noted that shipping within the States is dirt cheap, but evil outside the borders.
Thus, I commonly use Shipitto, and I am sure there are other reputable 3rd party shippers.  Consistently reasonable and very efficient.  Also allow you to buy stuff that is “for local markets only”......

Great idea, appreciate it. Will seriously consider emailing them for an estimate then..

you may want to pool with a couple of people as single orders will be expensive.  I recently bought a couple of batches from them 8 and 5 heavy records in two orders.  The 5 record order was about US$12 each and the 8 box was a bit over US$10 each record.  Most of the 8 record batch were 2xLP.  Shipping was fast with no damage.

You can tick add special instructions requesting a shipping quote before the order is processed.  I found the process seamless although 2 of the records are warped and it will be interesting to see how they process the return.

Perhaps a pool would be best. There aren’t any relevant threads for people who might be interested?

I’d go in for a few every few months from AP or the other high quality labels, could almost become an organised event..?

1 hour ago, rob said:

If it is just one album you are after Birdland in Sydney might be able to get it in cheaper.  They have some of the Analogue Productions, Impex and Tone Poet as well as a bunch of other labels.  They are expensive but it still works out cheaper than your one off AS purchase.

AP will quote shipping costs prior to processing the order for international sales.

Standard courier shipping rates are quite high, but you can request a quote for other normal international mailing methods. 

My last orders of 4 or 5  mostly double LPs, ship within US for free (over US$49) and are sent to my on-shipping service for a cost of NZ$30. Took 5 days to arrive once received at the on-shipping centre.

The last quote to send them to NZ direct was about US$75 cheapest method.

4 hours ago, rob said:

That's wild. They shipped mine for $13.00

I've placed one other order with them for two LPs and shipping was $23.00.

Shipping must be by specially trained pigeons, that's why it is expensive.

I am sure, that will be extra quick delivery.

Still remember ordered Frank Zappa's  CD not available anywhere else, through Amazon, while ago, and I was robbed for about $30. When complained I was refunded I think $10.

Usually shipping from US is rip off in comparison with shipping from Germany for instance.

• 2 weeks later...

Good idea to update here, even just as a for others.

Disgruntled that I couldn’t import AP jazz records at a reasonable, I blew the budget on a sealed copy of Nilf Lofgren’s acoustic live. Lofty expectations...

Did you go ahead with the order? If so, what’d ya pick up?

Placed an order for three LPs yesterday, and shipping was quoted at US$71. So their postage fees have definitely increased. I’ll now look at a freight forwarder. 
I ordered some interconnects, 3 weeks today, from the U.S. They were $39US.
Time they factored in exchange rate, plus GST and shipping; this bargain price quickly evaporated.

Like others, the shipping didn't come up until you placed the order. It was a whopping $59US. Anyway l went with the order, as it was on parr, also thought at that price it would be a quick delivery.
But that USA $39 pair of interconnects still cost me $139au. Should have researched more. Things are a lot cheaper from the UK. But l thought buying direct from the manufacturer would be cheaper. And again, quick delivery.

Yer, right. It left LA on the 29th July and landed in Melbourne August 1, so only 2 days.

Here we are 16 August and still haven't received it. Something drasticly wrong with our delivery or custom service in this country. Beyond annoyed.

• 8 months later...

After getting shocked out of buying from them a few years ago due to shipping cost I've just looked at the site again.

Still 'circurtuous' and really only set up for US domestic.

• 7 months later...

Think I'm done dealing with Acoustic Sounds. Placed an order two weeks ago and as of today it still isn't processed. All albums are in stock, I agreed to shipping charges (which I had to chase them for) and this transaction is still in limbo. Spoke to my local record store who can access their product for the same price or cheaper and at least I know I'll receive the goods. 

• Like 1