Sign in to follow this  
MAXXX

SOLD: FS: Audio by Van Alstine Transcendence Eight Preamplifier

Posted (edited)

Item: Audio by Van Alstine Transcendence Eight + (Tube Preamplifier)
Price: $500  firm
Item Condition: Excellent
Reason for selling: NLR
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info: Excellent condition, no longer required. Local buyers are welcome to test it with their own power amp. (or one of mine, tube or solid sate...)

"Selling direct, as AVA does, helps to keep prices down, but to extract good sound on a budget it is essential for the designer to put his ears into the design loop, critically evaluating component and circuit options, as there is only so much money you can throw at a given project. And this is something Frank Van Alstine has done for over 35 years, judging by the success of his numerous modifications of vintage gear. Extracting maximum bang for the buck is apparently a way of life at AVA. Frank tells me that his goal is to “build as high a quality and durable a piece as possible, while trying to keep prices in the range affordable by mortals.” Somehow he still manages to include gold-plated switch-contacts and jacks, precision controls, and power-supply regulation.

Functionally, the Transcendence Eight (T8) is a mixture of old-fashioned and standard features and is intended to serve as a full-function preamplifier, rather than as a bare-bones linestage. In addition to the obligatory volume pot and input selector switch, there’s a balance control, mono-mode selector (useful for playback of single-channel sources and noisy FM stations), two tape loops, and a headphone jack. Three AC convenience outlets are located on the rear panel. built around a fast integrated chip configured as a unity-gain buffer, offering low output impedance and high current drive. 

This version was US $1697, (without optional phono input and remote)

It is equipped with high performance 6CG8 vacuum tubes.  6922/6DG8 or 6N1P tubes can be used as direct substitutes.

(last one was sold second hand on their web site for US$995).

No original box, but it will be packed properly for safe transport. Postage for Australia $50.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

IMAG0218-20190802-075227190.jpg

IMAG0219-20190802-075222767.jpg

IMAG0220-20190802-075224979.jpg

Edited by MAXXX
extra info

Mentioned in description, but I'll highlight it again...This version was US $1697, (without optional phono input and remote) .

Volume is motorized, I believe that universal remote can operate it, never tried...I'll try it this weekend and let you know.

This is an absolute bargain! I so wish I had the money to spend on it. Going to make someone very happy!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By HiFi Collector Adelaide
      Item: PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Pre Amplifier (black or silver)
      Price: $2,080 (RRP $2,775)
      Item Condition: Brand new, full warranty - 2 years, 6 months on tubes
      Reason for selling: Discontinued model
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Shipping: Ships with TNT Australia wide
      Extra Info: Stereo Tube Preamplifier. Dual-mono internal design. 
      4 x line-level input, 1 x HT bypass input. 2pr x variable pre amp outputs
      Tubes: Pre section: 4 x 12AU7. Rectifying circuit: 2 x 5AR4
      PTP-circuit – power transformer protection (thermal)
      Home theatre pass-thru: direct-line circuitry for connection to HT systems
      Premium parts, hand-made with finest point-to-point wiring, 5 coat finish
      Includes system remote control

Photos:

• By anthony vinyl
      Item: Audible Illusions modulus 3A preamp with phono
      Price: 2100 
      Item Condition: very good
      Reason for selling: consolidation
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, transfer , Paypal +3%, COD 
      Extra Info: stunning sounding preamp.  very highly regarded and glowing reviews . in the audio review there are 41 reviews with a average of 4.7/ 5  : ) . this has the illustrious MC phono stage designed by famous john curl. please look online for reviews . eg  the audiophile guru  arthur salvatore comments in his list of reference components - " the 3 may still be the finest preamplifier with phono available today for the money" . 120V . current ebay pricing > 3000

Pictures:
    • By Snoopy8
      Item: Primaluna Dialogue Premium Valve Line Stage Preamp
      Price:  $3,500 $3,250( RRP $4,195) plus including free shipping to major cities and regional centres in Australia; SNA donation on completion of sale
      Item Condition: Near new
      Reason for selling: Simplification of music chain
      Payment Method: Pickup with cash, otherwise Bank Transfer
      Extra Info: 
      I bought this preamp in Dec 2018, so it is almost new. It replaced an Audio Research LS17SE.

What impressed me was its dead quiet background and its ability to control all elements of the sound stage, making the resolution superb. The warmth and musicality it gave my setup was excellent. Oh, it also has 6 tubes that you can indulge in tube rolling.  If buyer is interested, can include 2 almost new pairs of 12AU7 PSVane tubes (used for less than 20 hours,) and 2 pairs of 12AU7 GE NOS tubes, used for testing.  The 4 pairs of tubes will cost an additional $150 when purchased together with the preamp (Paid $455 for tubes).  Will sell 4 pairs of tubes separately as a package for $300. 

www.primaluna-usa.com/dialogue-premium-preamplifier

While it is difficult to ignore (& you may even hate!) Ken Deal’s bombastic American pitch in the video, he does make some good points about how well built it is as an analogue device and why it sounds so good.

Reviews here
      www.primaluna-usa.com/reviews-dialogue-premium-preamplifier

Warranty is 2 years for original owner only. If the buyer is in Melbourne or in country Victoria, it will be relatively easy for me to lodge a warranty claim with the retailer.  However, if the buyer is interstate and prepared to ship this 30 kg package to me to lodge the warranty claim, I will consider the offer. Of course, let’s assume it will run without problems.

Please note that there is no manual, despite being listed as in the box in the electronic copy. 

Shipping is extra with original packaging.

Pictures:

• By anthony vinyl
      Item: supratek syrah preamp
      Price: 1600 ono
      Item Condition: pretty good. some scratches on LHS as in picture # 4. the volume control also has some scratches on its underside 
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal +3%  
      Extra Info: beautiful sounding supratek syrah preamp. this is an early model circa 2001 quite possibly a prototype. it portrays the same beguiling spacious and alive sound that has projected supratek into high end audio. all pio caps (ducons). the rcas on top front are the phono. The line stage is 6SN7s. The phono stage is high gain capable of amplifying low output moving coils and includes a fet, 417A / 5842 and 6GK5 tubes using a variation of the Arthur Loesch phono circuit. 5881s are used in the power supply for shunt regulation and a 5Z4 for rectification.  The unit is bog standard apart from an upgraded volume control to Alps Blue, and a balance pot. I will also supply a copy of the circuit diagram. There is a phono input and 3 line level inputs. , tape in / out has been replaced by mick with 2 X RCA  outputs so it is bi- ampable.  There is also high or low gain and a mute switch. this pre worked beautifully with my tannoy 15" ardens - approx 89dB . not so however with my edgar bass horns which run in at about 103 dB - too much gain / noise .  perhaps this may have been better with very low wattage power amps but the lowest i have are 18W. suffice it to say it is not a quiet preamp with its high gain and mick really stretched the tubes out but i found it totally acceptable with the tannoys. less than a year ago the unit was sent to perth and thoroughly checked by mick maloney and all brought back to spec .. fets also  just replaced as the originals were out of tolerance . this is a relatively inexpensive entry to what i have found to be rewarding sound through supratek preamps. i also have 3 X Western electric 417As (2 x NOS) available for an extra $125. bunch of spare tubes included - 6gk5 and 5Z4. preference is for a  pickup but will consider postage. can deliver to sydney / gold coast / northern NSW 

Pictures:

• By picolo
      Item: Herron Audio VTSP-2 Line Stage Preamplifier
      Price: $1600 (RRP$4995)
      Item Condition: Used- excellent condition (mint)
      Reason for selling: upgraded to another tube premaplifier
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, COD Only
      Extra Info: excellent line tube (6922/E88CC) preamplifier. replaced with  6*6922(EH) and Furutech power inlet. working prefectly and new buyer will enjoy for long term warmth and detailed tube sound..
      Review:

hifiplusjan05.pdf
      http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue17/herronvtsp2.htm
      http://www.stereotimes.com/amp112106.shtml

Pictures: