buddyev

The Ashes

He'd want to hurry up!

He's no spring chicken now.

8 minutes ago, cultfilman said:

Yes sorry to say. Hopefully he is about to turn a corner. That is the best I have seen him bowl. Pressured every batsman.

35 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

He'd want to hurry up!

He's no spring chicken now.

27. Those with two disciplines to hone usually mature later. 

9 hours ago, wolster said:

Opening partnership of 18, best of series 🙄

And lost the test.

We lost the test when Paine decided to bowl first.

2 hours ago, Tony ray said:

We lost the test when Paine decided to bowl first.

You think this is a captain's decision these days?

Bringing in Siddle in favour of Starc was just as big a mistake. We should have had Starc AND Pattinson in the 5th test. Why have 6 bowlers if you bowl 2 of them into the ground?

Edited by blybo

Langer mentioned somewhere he would of batted first.

11 minutes ago, Tony ray said:

Langer mentioned somewhere he would of batted first.

Perfect reason why Langer was never captain of anything 

He carries the can, but it’s very had to believe that the decision to bowl was Paine’s alone. I’m pretty sure everyone had their two bobs worth.

37 minutes ago, buddyev said:

He carries the can, but it’s very had to believe that the decision to bowl was Paine’s alone. I’m pretty sure everyone had their two bobs worth.

I bet the bowlers would have been begging for another days rest.  They had been absolutely flogged only 3 days earlier. They would have loved to have been sitting in the cool watching the batsmen make hay. It should be the the skippers call, otherwise what's the point of having one. No one would have dared to question Chappelli or Alan Border's decision and that is how it should be. The skippa is the skippa is the skippa. No need for a committee or 6 vice-captains.

I'm glad it's over. So freakin frustrating.

15 hours ago, mikey d said:

I bet the bowlers would have been begging for another days rest.  They had been absolutely flogged only 3 days earlier. They would have loved to have been sitting in the cool watching the batsmen make hay. It should be the the skippers call, otherwise what's the point of having one. No one would have dared to question Chappelli or Alan Border's decision and that is how it should be. The skippa is the skippa is the skippa. No need for a committee or 6 vice-captains.

I'm glad it's over. So freakin frustrating.

"Our batsmen making hay" You mean Smith and perhaps Marnus and Wade. As I see it  having no confidence in his openers to build a platform for Smithy and co to go beserk with was the prime reason Paine bowled first. Had we not had a shocker in the field..which gifted the Poms at least 150 runs we were in with a big show to polish off the series and his decision w'd have been vindicated..

Edited by cultfilman

Frustrating yes. But these Ashes had their moments. Smith's herculean performances.. time and again he dug us out of quicksand. Cummins and Hazlewood's expertise with the Dukes. Stokes one off T20 like assault to snatch the game at Leeds.. The lowlites were the umpiring, shoddy fielding, specially the catching. To give Root three lives was unforgiveable. The DRS shambles.

Edited by cultfilman

13 minutes ago, cultfilman said:

Frustrating yes. But these Ashes had their moments. Smith's herculean performances.. time and again he dug us out of difficult situations. Cummins and Hazlewood's expertise with the Dukes. Stokes one off T20 like assault to snatch the game at Leeds.. The lowlites were the umpiring, shoddy fielding, specially the catching. To give Root three lives was unforgiveable. The DRS shambles.

It was edge of the seats stuff. I would wake up once or twice a night to check the score. Was obsessed with the games, as everyone else was. The bowlers were magnificent, Broad especially for the Poms. It was the lowlights that you highlight that caused the frustration. Like watching the Wallabies lose with ball with the tryline beckoning. Doesn't mean that I will stop watching the Rugby tests.

I personally thought it was the wrong decision to send the Poms in but I was suggesting that the Captain should be the only member of the team to make that decision. Everyone else has their thoughts but it should be the skipper's call.