Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here experts HELP!

Update, I got a full refund, the store owner apologised and said he does a quick check for the correct release, I think quick is the operative word. After I stated what was incorrect he said that I am the Pink Floyd expert so he didn’t even check the record, thanks guys it took me 12 hours to become an expert ?

Edited by awayward
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, georgehifi said:

I've got this version Sony's Super bit Mapping gold one, sounds real good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PINK-FLOYD-Wish-You-Were-Here-SONY-MASTERSOUND-24-KARAT-GOLD-LONG-BOX-CD-SEALED-/361593835454

Cheers George

I have same copy to which I bought it from HMV Pitt St mall store basement at $19.95. I should flog it too at a premium price too ? 

Funny this thread just came up.. I was adding my Pink Floyd records to Discogs last week and discovered my copies of WYWH and The Wall are both Aussie first pressings. Picked them up locally at Big Star Records about 10 years ago for around $8 each. The copy of The Wall has been barely played, it looks brand new still. And sounds amazing.

I got an Aussie Quadraphonic press of DSOTM around the same time for next to nothing. I have noticed these days, any second hand Pink Floyd record in a record store demands big $$$.

1 hour ago, Hergest said:

Try playing that one on a record player.

Thanks but no thanks, don't like mono, above and below 1khz, which is still only at best 40db channel separation.

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

24 minutes ago, mikizee said:

Funny this thread just came up.. I was adding my Pink Floyd records to Discogs last week and discovered my copies of WYWH and The Wall are both Aussie first pressings. Picked them up locally at Big Star Records about 10 years ago for around $8 each. The copy of The Wall has been barely played, it looks brand new still. And sounds amazing.

I got an Aussie Quadraphonic press of DSOTM around the same time for next to nothing. I have noticed these days, any second hand Pink Floyd record in a record store demands big $$$.

What SBP number is your WYWH Mike ?

I also have a Quad DSOTM.

44 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

What SBP number is your WYWH Mike ?

I also have a Quad DSOTM.

Etched into the runout is SBP234654-15-1 on side one, and SBP234651-2 on side two. SBP234651 on the labels and cover.

Edit - that may be a mistake actually. For some reason I have added two different presses of the album to my Discogs collection. I'll have to check which one it actually is when I get home. It is either this one- 

https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-Wish-You-Were-Here/release/7287053

or this one

https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-Wish-You-Were-Here/release/2576349

Edited by mikizee

20 hours ago, awayward said:

I’m on holidays in Brisbane and have been visiting music stores, as you do.

I found Pink Floyd’s Wish You Were Here first release on vinyl, Great Britain printing, vinyl looked like it is in excellent condition, $90 was at the high end but thought why not.

I was just checking if it was a first release on Discogs and it all looks ok except that there are two side 2 labels, no side one label.

It even includes the original postcard.

I’ve googled trying to find is this was a manufacturing fault or something, no luck.

I’ve included photos of everything, one label has a white circle with what looks like the letter R in it.

Does anyone know if this is an original pressing or just dodgy?

I’d appreciate your expertise.

E9D192B4-A978-4AEC-8D3C-40FD22661690.jpeg

I know what that little white circle is. It is actually a sticker with a stylised letter 'P' which stands for Pixal, a company that made LP care products back in the 70's and 80's....I'm not sure if they still exist.

It indicates that the record has been treated with Pixal's anti static product. I used to have a Pixal roller, a record cleaner that had peel off reverse masking tape to roll clean the LP surface....did a great job.?

Edited by stevoz

3 hours ago, stevoz said:

I know what that little white circle is. It is actually a sticker with a stylised letter 'P' which stands for Pixal, a company that made LP care products back in the 70's and 80's....I'm not sure if they still exist.

It indicates that the record has been treated with Pixal's anti static product. I used to have a Pixal roller, a record cleaner that had peel off reverse masking tape to roll clean the LP surface....did a great job.?

Permastat mate - not Pixal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyflip said:

That's it! Permastat......anti static treatment. My memory can only be partially trusted these days.?

But I still had a Pixal roller.....?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, candyflip said:

1 hour ago, stevoz said:

That's it! Permastat......anti static treatment. My memory can only be partially trusted these days.?

But I still had a Pixal roller.....?

Yep, and that crap comes off sticking to your stylus for what seems like a lifetime. 

I made the mistake in my early years in buying Permastat and sticking those P's to around 12 albums. 

Taken me 30+ years to clean the shiite off my records .

13 hours ago, stevoz said:

It's Permastat Steve, used it myself years ago, some of my records still have the sticker. I don't have probs with any gunk from it, maybe I didn't use enough :)

Edited by Batty

This topic is reminding me of when WYWH was released. 

Radio 3XY played it in it's entirety (with an ad break between sides), a very unusual thing in Aust. commercial radio.  Being a very poor student, I hooked my cassette recorder to the headphone outlet and taped it onto a C60, the ad break giving time to turn the cassette over to side 2 and rewind to the start of the tape. 

I then had no need to buy the album (my budget would allow me to buy about four lp's a year, so I needed to consider every purchase carefully; I have over-compensated since then!).  And I also need to admit that I found the album's music disappointing after expecting it to have the full production sound of DSOTM.  Always liked "Have a Cigar", and felt that was the highlight.  A very nice album cover/packaging design though. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Peter-C said:

Cool, as of this arvo, I had no idea either emoji848.png

Damn, mines Chappell. But that makes sense as I bought it when the Indies were touring and we beat them 5-1. Both Chappell brothers were playing:afro:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, metal beat said:

Yep, and that crap comes off sticking to your stylus for what seems like a lifetime. 

I made the mistake in my early years in buying Permastat and sticking those P's to around 12 albums. 

Yeah, I never used it. Didn't like the idea of it, always suspected that stylus gunk might be a problem.?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stevoz said:

Yeah, I never used it. Didn't like the idea of it, always suspected that stylus gunk might be a problem.?

And I recall the aerosol spray tins of "record cleaner" that Brashes used to sell, from memory they were blue and silver in colour. 

At the time I wondered what rubbish it was depositing on the records, I feel relieved that I was never tempted to buy a can to try. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, audiofeline said:

And I recall the aerosol spray tins of "record cleaner" that Brashes used to sell, from memory they were blue and silver in colour. 

At the time I wondered what rubbish it was depositing on the records, I feel relieved that I was never tempted to buy a can to try. 

I've still got a can of that somewhere,  probably got a bit of silicone in it to stop the 'crackles and pops' .

On 02/08/2019 at 12:32 AM, metal beat said:

I started using Permastat around 1982 but never had any gunk problems because I was using my Nitty Gritty to clean the LP, at the same time.

I found that using a dropper to drop 3 beads of cleaning solution along 4 radial lines on the LP, before wiping it around the groove annulus, meant the water drops stayed as drops before being wiped around by the NG brush.

However, if I sprayed on the Permastat first, I found the water drops no longer stayed as drops - they spread all over the LP surface.  (So getting more into the grooves.)

And then vacuuming, using the NG, removed whatever gunk the Permastat left in the grooves - so nothing was left to be deposited onto the stylus.

But now that I use a us bath for cleaning ... I no longer need to use Permastat. 

Andy

Edited by andyr

5 hours ago, markh3570 said:

I've still got a can of that somewhere,  probably got a bit of silicone in it to stop the 'crackles and pops' .

If you find it I would be curious to see a photo showing the info it has on the can.

10 hours ago, andyr said:

I started using Permastat around 1982 but never had any gunk problems because I was using my Nitty Gritty to clean the LP, at the same time.

I found that using a dropper to drop 3 beads of cleaning solution along 4 radial lines on the LP, before wiping it around the groove annulus, meant the water drops stayed as drops before being wiped around by the NG brush.

However, if I sprayed on the Permastat first, I found the water drops no longer stayed as drops - they spread all over the LP surface.  (So getting more into the grooves.)

And then vacuuming, using the NG, removed whatever gunk the Permastat left in the grooves - so nothing was left to be deposited onto the stylus.

But now that I use a us bath for cleaning ... I no longer need to use Permastat. 

Andy

Andy

I did not have a vacuum cleaner til maybe mid- late 90's.  15 years for that Permastat shiite to turn to gunk.?