Sign in to follow this  
awayward

Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here experts HELP!

I’m on holidays in Brisbane and have been visiting music stores, as you do.

I found Pink Floyd’s Wish You Were Here first release on vinyl, Great Britain printing, vinyl looked like it is in excellent condition, $90 was at the high end but thought why not.

I was just checking if it was a first release on Discogs and it all looks ok except that there are two side 2 labels, no side one label.

It even includes the original postcard.

I’ve googled trying to find is this was a manufacturing fault or something, no luck.

I’ve included photos of everything, one label has a white circle with what looks like the letter R in it.

Does anyone know if this is an original pressing or just dodgy?

I’d appreciate your expertise.

E9D192B4-A978-4AEC-8D3C-40FD22661690.jpeg

8B0ED88E-7A0C-46D5-86D5-92EC669DB987.jpeg

5A8B2C60-C7BA-4BA6-982A-8A524633DB5C.jpeg

B295D0E1-8E53-4A29-8093-3F62D9B2E6DD.jpeg

EA5B60EA-35C4-4444-98D5-27D51AC55735.jpeg

EEEA76D5-3DBD-4686-AB11-095DE4227EE4.jpeg

BC11386F-1CFD-4915-B800-236554BF1F68.jpeg

2178AD5D-6A20-40FB-B9AA-1DACCAC4B104.jpeg

I can help - please PM me.

cheers

I've identified this copy as a 2nd or later pressing, and given the OP plenty of info to help him with the retailer.

If anyone would like that info, only too happy to share it.

I've got a WYWH original CBS Half Speed Master copy that's in great condition that I'm willing to part with.

Let me know via PM if interested.

It cost me far more than the $90 you paid for the dodgy UK original [Not outrageously expensive]......but I'd rather see it going to a good home to somebody that appreciates it at a break even price.

1 hour ago, candyflip said:

I've identified this copy as a 2nd or later pressing, and given the OP plenty of info to help him with the retailer.

If anyone would like that info, only too happy to share it.

sneaky retailer or honest mistake?

if it doesn’t go well returning the record, how about naming the retailer

Posted (edited)

The red P is a sticker implying the owner used Permastat anti static cleaner at some time.

I used to use it back in the dim distant past. :)

Edited by Batty

This link may be of help http://pinkfloydarchives.com/DUKLPPF.htm#WYWH1

@awayward

IMO the double up of the label is a fault and detracts from the value.

I would note that your postcard is from the Quad pressing,denoted by the Q at the front of the catalog number on the post card. Could have been swapped at some time in the past to make a good record and card set.

I have what I believe to be a UK 2nd  pressing and this is my postcard,. Reason to believe mine is a second pressing is the credit of Shine on you crazy diamond part 5 to Waters only.

On the bright side you probably paid about the correct amount for a second pressing. First pressings, With the black shrink wrap and sticker  go for about $250.

650741165_wywh1.thumb.JPG.8c7c82102f9054966f06214136cc5c69.JPG1562175610_wywh2.thumb.JPG.7e618940200d1bd684aaf510e55ec791.JPG

Thank you to all that have replied, for over 40 years I have bought vinyl, usually just the generic new stuff so I haven’t had a need to identify the version. I have learnt something and it will be useful as I have just started cataloging my collection in Discogs.

I’m returning the album this morning for a refund, hopefully it goes well.

Cheers

Wayne

9 hours ago, Tweaky said:

I've got a WYWH original CBS Half Speed Master copy that's in great condition that I'm willing to part with.

Let me know via PM if interested.

It cost me far more than the $90 you paid for the dodgy UK original [Not outrageously expensive]......but I'd rather see it going to a good home to somebody that appreciates it at a break even price.

Thank you for your very kind offer Tweaky but unfortunately I will have to give it a miss due to me blowing the holiday budget already, it doesn’t help when I visit every music store I see. 😉

58 minutes ago, awayward said:

Thank you to all that have replied, for over 40 years I have bought vinyl, usually just the generic new stuff so I haven’t had a need to identify the version. I have learnt something and it will be useful as I have just started cataloging my collection in Discogs.

I’m returning the album this morning for a refund, hopefully it goes well.

Cheers

Wayne

Good luck with that mate. I've got an original Aussie release and just saw some guy trying to sell it for $120. Others on Ebay were going for around $45 to $55.

Mine still mint. Plays well and is a Floppy:thumb:

56 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Good luck with that mate. I've got an original Aussie release and just saw some guy trying to sell it for $120. Others on Ebay were going for around $45 to $55.

Mine still mint. Plays well and is a Floppy:thumb:

I picked up a first Aus pressing for $2 in 1998/9. The old record shop in a Twin St cellar, off Grenfell st in Adl City, was run by a very old geezer. Don't know if he was aware it was a 1st press (I certainly wasn't), however the shop was on its last legs (did not sell any CDs or tapes as I remember) and it probably wouldn't have made any difference if it was a personal Gilmour's or Water's copy $2 was what any used LP fetched back then. Still my absolute favorite record in the collection. It was the first records I ever purchased - did not even have a record player at the time.

That shop was overflowing with records and was mostly deserted - mind boggles at how many absolute gems there must have been hiding on those shelves.

Mine has one LP missing, I need to buy another copy.

44 minutes ago, Batty said:

Mine has one LP missing, I need to buy another copy.

There is only one LP..

4 minutes ago, EV Cali said:

There is only one LP..

Thats what l was thinking too.

This thread made me queue up all my Pink Floyd today...