Sign in to follow this  
sfdoddsy

A much better cute speaker than the LS50?

Posted (edited)

Perhaps you may consider Dynaudio Emit M20?

Edit: Below photo is not my system, it's from online.

See the source image

Edited by vinilink

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, sfdoddsy said:

Yes, I’ve tried the foam. And I have the technology to replicate the DSP of the LS50 Wireless with a MiniDSP and various room EQ systems.

You should still consider trying the LS50w just incase there is something in Kefs execution of it that your kit settings have not struck yet. No harm can always onsell a used LS50w. 

The LS50w tuning achieves around 43hz bass extension, whereas the passive has to hump bass tuning around 70hz that is possibly the cause of your issues and other factors.

Also, google the internet for alternative passive crossover mods that make it sound better like 

Edited by Al.M

If you’re looking for cute that apparently sounds very good I think you couldn’t go past the Boenicke w5.

http://www.audiomagic.com.au/product/detail/441/boenicke-audio-w5-se-walnut-pair

Or the Audio Physic Compact Classic, very nice sounding speaker in a small form factor.

http://www.hifi-review.com/151144-audio-physic-classic-compact.html

@sfdoddsy

my suggestion is that you listen to the Revel Concerta2 M16.

look better in the flesh and you will be surprised at the sound - and the price.

AB887917-8764-4D17-A571-5A98ACB482FD.jpeg

10 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

Have been hearing great things about a pair of Contrast speakers that @Grizzly has for sale. 

They look magnificent and sound even better from all reports 

They're an option, though with a relatively conventional "form factor". That being said, the colour options are vast and the finish exceptional.

model 1b.jpg

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

Have been hearing great things about a pair of Contrast speakers that @Grizzly has for sale. 

They look magnificent and sound even better from all reports 

Edited by Grizzly
double...

Again - a pretty standard form factor, however good looking and nicely finished speaker as another option...

image.png.e69a7f3f88d42802eed2362fd1add4f2.png

Monitor Audio Silver 100

image.png.75fe9a7bfae995f1e0f7a99fcd1c1006.png

15 hours ago, sfdoddsy said:

So what sounds much better than the LS50, but has a similar form factor?

Many of the above suggestions have a larger form factor than the LS50, but there is something which is close in size...

15 hours ago, sfdoddsy said:

By her because she doesn’t like the look. By me because I don’t like the sound.

You did not mention a budget, but perhaps this very expensive option may pass both the cuteness and sound criteria.

https://www.devialet.com/en-au/phantom-reactor-speaker/

I have a pair of the bigger (3 to 4 times) Phantom Golds.  The difficulty is auditioning the Reactors as a stereo pair on stands, perhaps David Jones may have them.

I'd assume adding a sub, even a small one is out of the question? That would probably solve the problem if you let it take over some of the bass duty from the KEFs.

Without asking about budget, the obvious answer to your question would be the much more expensive Kii Three or Dutch & Dutch.

2 hours ago, firedog said:

I'd assume adding a sub, even a small one is out of the question? That would probably solve the problem if you let it take over some of the bass duty from the KEFs.

Without asking about budget, the obvious answer to your question would be the much more expensive Kii Three or Dutch & Dutch.

It won't fix the existing bass coming from the KEFs unless he uses a crossover of some sort.

Nothing will fix the bass from the LS50 for Doddsy ...because he is a fussy (experienced) listener who’s owned Wilson Watt Puppies, Linkwitz Orion’s etc. Once he’s heard proper bass it can’t be forgotten and no amount of port stuffing and dsp xo tricks will conjour  it from the small Kef driver and boxes.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, firedog said:

The OP mentioned he has a nice Velodyne sub, the problem was the LS50’s don’t go low enough, well enough to blend properly with it.

Cheers,

SS

Edited by Sub Sonic

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've got a line on a used pair of KEF R3s which I'll  spring on her.

Failing that I'll build something, try some Lenehans or perhaps import some Salk Silks.

Or something.

:)

Edited by sfdoddsy