A much better cute speaker than the LS50?

After changing houses I no longer have room for my much-loved large and ugly open baffle speakers.

So I bought another set of LS50s (I had a pair a few years back) as a stopgap.

Alas, my wife likes the sound and has fallen in love (comparatively) with the cute appearance of them on their cute stands. 

Whilst I think the LS50s are very good, I have the same problem with them that I did the first time I owned them - namely they have bloated bass to disguise the fact they don’t go low enough to blend properly with a sub.

But all my attempts to replace them are being rejected. 

By her because she doesn’t like the look. By me because I don’t like the sound.

So what sounds much better than the LS50, but has a similar form factor?

Unfortunately the vast majority of  compact stand mount speakers suffer from the same issue.Fudged up bass as Steve M calls it and that is a good description.Which is why I built some Menicus Audio Kairos kit speakers which can be used in a sealed cabinet and avoid that problem.They are  on balance the best smallish standmounts I have used.

IMG_0226 (2).JPG

• Like 4

I have a pair of Dynaudio Xeo2; active speakers with three different bass tuning DSP settings  in case you don't want them to give that artificial hump just above where they die. But they do look better with their covers on. It's funny the marketing photos show them all with the covers off, but I guess that's the nature of speakers marketed towards the high end.

https://www.dynaudio.com/discontinued-models/xeo/xeo-2

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/dynaudio-xeo-2-wireless-loudspeaker/

I use them as uh... (high end) PC speakers where they perform nicely.

Virtually nothing in its class and form factor sounds better but perhaps an LS50w active used for around $2K would be worth a try.

Have you tried putting foam in the ports to de tune the bass to match a subwoofer and better room positioning.

Others to consider for the WAF are Sonus Fabers like Electa Amator below etc around $3-4K used.

2A5833DC-8FB9-416F-8FC7-4DE27A6A71DF.jpeg

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1

You might be able to get a second hand pair of Sonus Faber Cremona  Auditor Ms.

Their bass is not as fudged up as most and they are very beautiful.They sound their best pulled way out into the room though [say 1.5 metres away from any walls] which might be a problem.Very good with classical.

image.png.532d2548c88b90fe1905be8e90d1d275.png

18 minutes ago, Al.M said:

Virtually nothing in its class and form factor sounds better but perhaps an LS50w active used for around $2K would be worth a try.

Have you tried putting foam in the ports to de tune the bass to match a subwoofer and better room positioning.

Others to consider for the WAF are Sonus Fabers like Electa Amator below etc around $3-4K used.

Yes, I’ve tried the foam. And I have the technology to replicate the DSP of the LS50 Wireless with a MiniDSP and various room EQ systems.

I can force them into flatness,  but a 5 inch driver only goes so far.

Just now, LogicprObe said:

If you don't like small speakers.....................you probably need big speakers.

I like big speakers. My wife less so.

I have a very nice Velodyne servo sub so bass isn’t an issue.

The Salk Silk monitor looks interesting.

56 minutes ago, sfdoddsy said:

have the technology to replicate the DSP of the LS50 Wireless

Then you should be able to address the bloated bass and let your sub integrate. So is drive then the issue.

Guest jakeyb77

Have been hearing great things about a pair of Contrast speakers that @Grizzly has for sale. 

They look magnificent and sound even better from all reports 

Steve/Doddsy,

I agree with you regarding the LS50, a very nice point source speaker if a little fudged in the bass like most standmounts.  You obviously have fussy ears as they would meet most people’s needs for a small speaker. Having heard the MA Kairos spkrs that Thomo mentions, they are very good. The thing they have over most other standmounts is the sealed non-fudged up bass - aiming more towards accuracy rather than flavour or a faked fullness. The only problem is you’d have to engage Thomo’s cabinet making skills at a couple of $K to make them look as good as his pair, done DIY!

The other small contenders from my experience are the Proac 1SC which are very musical if a bit flavoursome however, still a favourite overall; also the Jamo Concert 8/D830 which are accurate if a little tight-arse sounding and lastly the Mark & Daniels Maximus which are refined and a very competent speaker so long as you can control their prodigious long-travel bass and not let it bloom too much in your room. The SF Electa Amator 1 with Esotar tweeter is supposedly very musical and don’t forget the Usher 718 which are quite big! but sounds very refined with the right amp and tends to deliver proper bass compared to the others.

Cheers,

Steve.

PS: have had a few good standmount spkrs in my time as seen below ....

205DD673-E865-4189-8D5F-B217A51477C7.jpeg

B3F65041-0D73-4C44-97DC-3F141F454F25.jpeg

D333D494-5878-4898-AA7B-791AD665918F.jpeg

F78202FF-DE5C-47DD-8221-618B99BD9A62.jpeg

43BA3848-69B3-49C5-AB5D-C57EDBBF9F1D.jpeg

C6B913F0-FC30-44ED-8FDA-0A5933D91C0F.jpeg

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Al.M said:

This is a good idea. Plug or partially plug the port. Have you tried moving them away from walls etc. or neat looking bass traps or acoustics good WAF absorbers. 

4 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

This is a good idea. Plug or partially plug the port. Have you tried moving them away from walls etc. or neat looking bass traps or acoustics good WAF absorbers. 

Rest assured Doddsy would have tried all that, he’s a very experienced audiophile from waay back having owned Wilson Watt Puppies and built Linkwitz Orion open baffle speakers etc. He’s just fussy/not impressed about the fudged up bass in most small speakers including the LS50 ...no great criticism and just physics at play really.

5 hours ago, sfdoddsy said:

Yes, I’ve tried the foam. And I have the technology to replicate the DSP of the LS50 Wireless with a MiniDSP and various room EQ systems.

You should still consider trying the LS50w just incase there is something in Kefs execution of it that your kit settings have not struck yet. No harm can always onsell a used LS50w. 

The LS50w tuning achieves around 43hz bass extension, whereas the passive has to hump bass tuning around 70hz that is possibly the cause of your issues and other factors.

Also, google the internet for alternative passive crossover mods that make it sound better like 

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1

If you’re looking for cute that apparently sounds very good I think you couldn’t go past the Boenicke w5.

http://www.audiomagic.com.au/product/detail/441/boenicke-audio-w5-se-walnut-pair

Or the Audio Physic Compact Classic, very nice sounding speaker in a small form factor.

http://www.hifi-review.com/151144-audio-physic-classic-compact.html

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

Have been hearing great things about a pair of Contrast speakers that @Grizzly has for sale. 

They're an option, though with a relatively conventional "form factor". That being said, the colour options are vast and the finish exceptional.

model 1b.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

Edited by Grizzly
double...