I do believe the first supercharged car in Australia was the VS series Commodore and preceding that was the Toyota TRD 3.5 supercharged vehicleplease give me your thoughts on these two vehicles as the predecessors to the late V8 supercharged vehicles of Ford and Holden before their demise

Posted (edited)

How about the Sigma Turbo from about 1980? Or maybe various Saab 900's?

Back at that time, the term supercharger included turbos, which was a turbosupercharger.

Cheers,

Jason.

Edited by koputai

3 minutes ago, koputai said:

How about the Sigma Turbo from about 1980? Or maybe various Saab 900's?

Back at that time, the term supercharger included turbos, which was a turbosupercharger.

Cheers,

Jason.

1981 GH sigma by Mitsubishi. Often mistaken for the Peter Wherret which was a 2.6 normally aspirated with recaro seats and Momo steering wheel whereas the turbo was an SE with standard seats, 2.0 turbo, same 15” wheels as the Wherrit and similarity disc brakes all around.

I had a couple of the Wherrets over the years but not a turbo. I recall reading a review which summarised that although they were very powerful it was all or nothing and they generated a whole lot of heat under the bonnet.